HMHUDs - Head-Mounted Heads-Up Displays

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
Synexious
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

HMHUDs - Head-Mounted Heads-Up Displays

Post by Synexious »

This is a custom monocular HMHUD. Vuzix has a commercial HMHUD. How much do you think it costs? Please share any information you have on HMHUDs, be they monocular or binocular. Do binocular HMHUDs exist? Would there be an advantage to having one over a monocular? I'd like to have a monocular for everyday use.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: HMHUDs - Head-Mounted Heads-Up Displays

Post by cybereality »

One of those would be pretty cool. No idea what they cost, or how to DIY one. But it would be pretty cool if it were networked with a smartphone for a wearable computer.
Johnny-Mnemonic
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Johnny-Mnemonic »

Check this blog:
http://blog.2yb.org/

Martin Magnusson is big enthusiast of such things, and he build his own monocle + micro PC system.
He made almost step by step instruction how to make monocle HMD from MyVu Crystal.

Image Image
Oculus Rift, Vuzix Wrap 920 AR!, Vuzix VR920, Liquid Image MRG 2.2, Razer Hydra, P5 Glove, Microsoft Kinect, TrackIR5, 2 x Hillcrest Labs Freespace tracker, Fujifilm finepix real 3d w3, GeForce 9800GT 1Gb, GeForce GT 430 1Gb, DELL XPS 17 l702x with GeForce 555 GT 3Gb, and good-old VFX1 setup
PalmerTech
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by PalmerTech »

I own several!

One of them is a converted MyVu crystal (Very, very easy to modify headset), the other is a converted Olympus Eye-Trek FMD 200, another is the Eyetop Centra, and the last (Just ordered, not received yet) is an Active-i.

You can get the latter two for under $100 on eBay occasionally, but they are fairly low resolution and low field of views (320x240, 20 degree FOV).

Gah, I wish I had time to review all these HMDs properly, but work always gets in the way, especially since I am out of town about half the time, as I will be tomorrow till June 1st. :(

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”