List of Projectors and their Polarity (LCD and LCoS)

Tutorials on how to create your own rigs, pics, movies, and everything that has to do with S-3D at home!
xhonzi
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

List of Projectors and their Polarity (LCD and LCoS)

Post by xhonzi »

Hello!

I started this wiki page as a response to a thread on AVS forum. Since not all PJs have the same polarity properties, and since we couldn't find a consolidated list anywhere else- we made this:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/wiki/po ... d-and-lcos" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's a wiki so everyone should be able to add to it.

Also- here is the thread at AVS forum, for the curious:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1280393" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
xhonzi

Re: List of Projectors and their Polarity (LCD and LCoS)

Post by xhonzi »

Wrong forum for this? Is 3D projector forum a better fit?
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

It's valuable information for those who try making their own stereopolfilters for lcd's.
I have the hitachi cp-x260 and while i do not know if the colors are 0 or 90° polarized i can for sure tell it's either 0 or 90 and that green has one polarization and red+blue shares the other. When scouring through the list the suitable description is "R&B at 0 degrees, G at 90".
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
xhonzi

Post by xhonzi »

Thanks, Likay. I added your info.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Do you know anything about pico-projectors? I'm interested in the Optoma PK301 for a dual passive rig. That one is DLP, do they have polarization too?
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

No. Among common types it's only lcd and lcos projectors. Eventual laserprojectors would also be polarized.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Perfect, thanks. I will be going with DLP then.
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

laser pico projectors might be polarized , but they won't really scale up that technology to 1.5-2k lumens required for video/data projectors.
-Just gimmie back CRT :lol:

PICO DLP sounds like they are relying on hold time , watch out. :oops:
(like I said, approx. 5 times, ideally, you DON't want hold time, especially NOT in 3d.)
How long is the hold time , how's the brightness in 2d 120hz, these are the questions.

3x pico projectors stacked behind a Z screen, slicing at integer rate with LED backlight is not a bad idea though, but Are those PICO's RGB LED at all?
-Biased for 0 Gen HMD's to hell and back must be one hundred percent hell bent bias!
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

Well, Cyber talked about picoprojectors and dual projection so how they perform at 120Hz isn't really interesting for the moment (i think they will do equally well as standard dlp's though). Two picoprojectiors is a good method of getting valuable info on such rigs before going big. Especially in these times.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Well the PK301 is only going to be 60Hz (I think), but that is all I need. I don't think hold time is going to be a big issue here because I am doing dual passive, not active. In which case hold might even be desirable. The PK301 is 50 lumens, which should be great for what I'm doing. It can also projector up to a 120" image, so I can at test to see if I want to get a real projector at some point.
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

...that 120" is bs, and 50 lumens not good for your anything but HMD basically. Native resolution is bad too.
You cut 50 lumens into 18 per eye ?
You know these LCD and LCOS guys here play with 1300-1800 per eye , if not 3600 per eye :lol: ? And hold blur is still a distortion, it's not like its anything desirable. Plus its hold. Well its so low I'm not sure its hold...
-Biased for 0 Gen HMD's to hell and back must be one hundred percent hell bent bias!
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Well, yes, I am planning on using it for an HMD, so I think 50 lumens will work. Its going to be encased in a light-proof enclosure with only about 16" of throw. Never seen pico-projector before, but 50 lumens is one of the highest available, so it should be alright. From the videos I've seen it looks great. Look at this one, a 70" screen running at 720P 60Hz (skip to 2:15):

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Irn90WNsxBg[/youtube]
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

-recorded videos are very tricky, they can even make a console game appear good because of the display & camera chain! And we all know console games can't look good (jk)
seriously, thats way too low, especially for a hold display. It's 2011, 120hz 200+ lumen per PJ might be even interesting (with a hold type pj!).
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

tritosine2k wrote:It's 2011, 120hz 200+ lumen per PJ might be even interesting (with a hold type pj!).
Well obviously that would be great, but I'm looking for something that I can buy right now for an affordable price. Not interested in vaporware.
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

I wouldn't say FullHd -> 720p scaling looks good on this DLP here. Well I wouldn't say it looks completely bad ,others might find it okay, just never use it. I'd pay about 50 bucks for that obsolete optoma pj ,each. Maybe I should use this lumen / dollar equation from now on . :lol:
PalmerTech
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by PalmerTech »

So why run it with scaling? Just put in a 720p signal to start.

You might think that it is an obsolete piece of tech, Tritosine, but it is cutting edge right now for the size. We don't live in the future!
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

HD 720p Pico DLP its already here. Thats why Microvision said they are going to scale over HD to FullHD (umm that means 120hz too or something :lol: )

Return to “Do it Yourself!”