wtfamireading.jpg

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
Synexious
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

wtfamireading.jpg

Post by Synexious »

Hahaha while searching for HMDs, I came across this weird thread on Amazon.

So random, and look who's at the bottom lol.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: wtfamireading.jpg

Post by cybereality »

I remember reading that thread back in '08. LOL!
bobv5
Certif-Eyed!

Post by bobv5 »

umm, wow. That was, odd..

"Also, this product clearly caters to the adult industry, and many off-site advertisements promote HMDs as such."

I wish. Not so much for the content, but because of what would happen if adult industry was pushing the tech. I bet we wouldn't be limited to the hardware we have now. The obsession with making hmds small would go away. If you tried to use it on the train, people would be too bothered by other things to notice you were wearing a big geeky hat!
"If you have a diabolical mind, the first thing that probably came to mind is that it will make an excellent trap: how do you get off a functional omni-directional treadmill?"
PalmerTech
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by PalmerTech »

Agreed. The adult industry is what pushes a lot of media technology (DVDs were adopted by the adult industry before the movie studios!), and there is a ton of money changing hands. If they were promoting HMDs, the tech would take off very fast.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Its funny, because the adult industry has always seemed to be the first to adopt new technology, but they seem to be slacking lately. For example 3D, or even just 2D, Blu-Ray does not seem to have a big penetration in the adult market (pun not intended). Right now it seems they are focusing on technology that expands the market, such as streaming video that can be viewed on any computer/mobile device, rather than technologies nobody has. I would love it if this would happen, and there are a few sites supporting 3D and one, in particular, that supports alternative "input" devices, but for the most part producers stick to the tried and true formats. Even HD does not seem to have taken over the market. So I think we would need a significantly enhanced experience (ie 180 degree HMDs, full-body haptics suits, etc.) before the adult industry really takes notice.
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

The adult industry is about rapid cash, not about quality. It's not surprising that they didn't invest in HD or 3D, too little return of investment.

I wouldn't wait anything technically good from their side, just look at the crappy movies they make, they are all the same, badly done, nothing to do with the technical achievements you can see in the cinema, be it 2D or 3D.
PalmerTech
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by PalmerTech »

Actually, if you lurk on some adult webmaster forums a bit, there is a LOT of 3D filming going on. For example, Brazzers, one of the top 5 pay sites in the US, has been filming EVERYTHING in 3D for the past 6 months, even though they are currently only putting out the 2D versions. They contracted three of the people who built/worked with National Geographic's 3D cameras to help them do it right, so the quality is bound to be high.

They have not made any formal announcements, but they post regularly on a few adult webmaster forums (Not going to link, easy to find with Google). They want to wait till 3DTVs have a better foothold, then magically release a massive back catalog of content for them.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

So I guess progress is happening, it just seems a little slow. Maybe the scene will be different in a few years. I know I'm still waiting for Vivid's Cyber Sex Suit to come out since back in '99.

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”