Nintendo 3DS

Discuss stereoscopic 3D games and gaming technologies for console (e.g. XBOX, PS3)
The_Nephilim
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Nintendo 3DS

Post by The_Nephilim »

Hi All Nintendo just announced its release of 3DS hand held gaming system in S3D WITHOUT Glasses..WOW!!!!!

it will be available on March 27th..

http://www.gamestop.com/3DS#&loc=homefl ... mpaign=3ds" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

SWEET!!
Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1 GHZ / ASRock Phantom 4 AC/4 Z590 Motherboard / G. SKILL Trident Z 64GB - 4000mhz / eVGA 2080Ti 11gb / SoundBlaster Z / HP Reverb G2 / HOTAS Cougar / Thrustmaster MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2 / :shutter
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Nintendo 3DS

Post by cybereality »

Yes. Got mine on pre-order. Expect a full 3D unboxing come March. This is going to be huge.
The_Nephilim
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by The_Nephilim »

cant wait till get some reviews and see how the 3D looks without Glasses??
Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1 GHZ / ASRock Phantom 4 AC/4 Z590 Motherboard / G. SKILL Trident Z 64GB - 4000mhz / eVGA 2080Ti 11gb / SoundBlaster Z / HP Reverb G2 / HOTAS Cougar / Thrustmaster MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2 / :shutter
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

Yup I placed an order for 3 of them. The grand kids are gonna love em. This will be a huge product for nintendo.

cheers everyone
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Panasonic Plasma VT25 50" (Full HD 3D)
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
Serving up my own 3D since 1996.
(34) Patents
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

The_Nephilim wrote:cant wait till get some reviews and see how the 3D looks without Glasses??
Well I have built my own parallax barrier, and I can tell you it looks pretty good. I imagine the 3DS screen should be a good deal better than my DIY solution (I would hope so).
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

If the 3ds screen has the same kind of screen that the w3 camera (dual backlighting to preserve resolution) it's a decent as it can be with such small device. I think these kind of displays really have their niche!
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Likay wrote:If the 3ds screen has the same kind of screen that the w3 camera (dual backlighting to preserve resolution) it's a decent as it can be with such small device. I think these kind of displays really have their niche!
I don't think the screen on the 3DS is that advanced. Every reference I have seen always says resolution is cut in half in 3D mode, meaning they are using a standard LCD parallax barrier design.
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

Yes, the only different with a more classic screen seems to be its resolution, 5:3 800x240 (400x240 per eye) in 3.5".
DevilMaster
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by DevilMaster »

I never used a parallax barrier system. I know that in a system that uses glasses, the 3D effect is stronger the farther you are from the screen. Is it the same with a parallax barrier system?
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

A parallax/lenticular based system have a close to fixed length where the separation works as it should (closer and farther away breaks separation). The length also depends a little on each viewers interocular distance. Within the usable distance i assume the phenomena with the experienced increased stereoeffect/distance is the same. There can very well be several usable horisontal viewing angles from the screen though. This technique is definitely more suitable for smaller displays like 3ds or stereocameras.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Well the parallax barrier just displays a left and right view, just like any other stereoscopic method. So with the same content, the 3D effect should be the same regardless of the method employed. However for the parallax barrier system to function properly, the user needs to be within the viewing area. This area is not very large, so it sets a fixed distance where the user must be to the view the 3D effect optimally.
DevilMaster
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by DevilMaster »

A parallax/lenticular based system have a close to fixed length where the separation works as it should (closer and farther away breaks separation).
However for the parallax barrier system to function properly, the user needs to be within the viewing area. This area is not very large, so it sets a fixed distance where the user must be to the view the 3D effect optimally.
Thanks, that's what I wanted to know.
bobv5
Certif-Eyed!

Post by bobv5 »

Played on a 3ds today. Its not bad. First of all, it works. Quite well. The viewing angle is not as bad as some people say. Far better than the original gameboy. I had to delibertalty tilt the machine before it distorted. Ghosting is present, but not enough to worry about. I only saw it when I looked for it.

I suppose what I am saying is, if you look for faults, you will find them. If you just play the game, its pretty cool.

The biggest problem is the fact that on such a small screen immersion is pretty much zero anyway, so the best it can ever hope to be is "pretty cool" I guess the best way for nintendo to act with this would be like it is a non feature. "umm, yea, our console is 3d. durr. Do other people make consoles that aren't?"
"If you have a diabolical mind, the first thing that probably came to mind is that it will make an excellent trap: how do you get off a functional omni-directional treadmill?"
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

True, the immersion still does not compete with a proper PC setup (w/ 22" or larger screen) but it still looks pretty good for what it is.
bobv5
Certif-Eyed!

Post by bobv5 »

Why 22 inch plus? My best monitor is a 19 inch crt, and it's still good.

I think the 3ds will be a bit of a slow burner. People will say "they only sold 15 million, no one likes it." Just like how n64 and gamecube both put nintendo out of business...
"If you have a diabolical mind, the first thing that probably came to mind is that it will make an excellent trap: how do you get off a functional omni-directional treadmill?"
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

bobv5 wrote:I think the 3ds will be a bit of a slow burner. People will say "they only sold 15 million, no one likes it." Just like how n64 and gamecube both put nintendo out of business...
I seriously doubt that. The DS brand is just too huge right now. Even without the 3D screen, the 3DS is enough of an upgrade for everyone to buy one (just like people with the original DS bought DS Lite, then DSi, or DS XL, etc, etc.). Especially with huge titles like Zelda and Mario in the works, the system just can't fail.
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

I captured some of the ar-demos. Will be fun seeing what happens with this in the future! :D
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EghVv5ZX_bM[/youtube]
The video unfortunately doesn't show the quality of the panel though. :(
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

Thanks for the video Likay. I haven't handed mine to my grand kids yet. But I'm $1000 lighter. I'm looking for good grades on their school reports. Then I'll spoil them. The AR is a really nice feature for gaming. I'm thinking some really creative people will really explore this new tech and expand gaming/ entertainment to new heights. Its gonna be cool.

cheers everyone
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Panasonic Plasma VT25 50" (Full HD 3D)
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
Serving up my own 3D since 1996.
(34) Patents
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

@Likay: How did you record that?
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

A structure of two aluminiumbars which always keeps the w3 in the ds3 viewing spot. It's not an easy or practical device to play games with, i can tell you that. It worked well for ar-demo though.

Return to “3D Console Gaming”