what projector would you recommend?

Share your experiences and learn about big-screen 3D gaming.
wuhlei
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

what projector would you recommend?

Post by wuhlei »

I'm looking for an every day use projector so I think I'm going with LED, unless the bulbs are really cheap? Any one know how hard it is to replace the LED?
Albert Einstein
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination."
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: what projector would you recommend?

Post by cybereality »

Are you looking for a 3D projector or just 2D? Does it have to be 1080P, 720P? How much do you want to spend?
BlackShark
Certif-Eyable!

Post by BlackShark »

There aren't many LED projectors, and most of those available have little lumen output and are 720p or lower models.
I suggest you do your light calculations. Unless you have some very low needs (screen size and brightness), you'll find out you'd be much better off with a light bulb based projection system.

Most projector light bulbs cost in the 200~400$ range. Whether you consider this as expensive depends on the projector initial cost.
If you buy an entry level projector (<600$) it will seem like a lot and you'd rather buy a new projector.
If you buy a higher end projector however, that light bulb is a bargain.
Passive 3D forever !
DIY polarised dual-projector setup :
2x Epson EH-TW3500 (2D 1080p)
Xtrem Screen Daylight 2.0, for polarized 3D
3D Vision gaming with signal converter : VNS Geobox 501
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

I burned thru 2.5 bulbs already with 2 pj's and not paid a dime, everytime you send in the h5360 or v700 you get a new bulb, even when it has 20 hours (ask relaxman ) , or 3000 hours ( like i did :mrgreen: ) Acer service department and bulb DLP is a great combo. I enjoy my DLP monitor a lot. :lol:

You guys are way too cautious when it comes to DLP , it's funny.
-Biased for 0 Gen HMD's to hell and back must be one hundred percent hell bent bias!
wuhlei
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by wuhlei »

cybereality wrote:Are you looking for a 3D projector or just 2D? Does it have to be 1080P, 720P? How much do you want to spend?
I think about 1000$, I was going to use the dual projector, polarized lens setup.
BlackShark wrote:There aren't many LED projectors, and most of those available have little lumen output and are 720p or lower models.
I suggest you do your light calculations. Unless you have some very low needs (screen size and brightness), you'll find out you'd be much better off with a light bulb based projection system.

Most projector light bulbs cost in the 200~400$ range. Whether you consider this as expensive depends on the projector initial cost.
If you buy an entry level projector (<600$) it will seem like a lot and you'd rather buy a new projector.
If you buy a higher end projector however, that light bulb is a bargain.
How many lumens should I go for? 2000 sounds about right with a good enough screen? I live in a small apartment. I wonder if the LED projectors uses an LCD because if it doesn't that should give LED projectors a huge advantage.
Albert Einstein
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination."
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Well when I was looking at projectors, it seems the Acer H5360 was about as good as it got for the low-end price-range. For $550 you are not going to do any better: 720P, Nvidia 3D Vision compatible. You could certainly get some non-3D projectors for cheaper to put together a dual-pj rig but I'm certain that will cost a bit more. Especially considering the cost of the silver screen, filters, custom rack, etc. There are even some DLP-3D projectors in the $300 range, but I don't believe the compatibility is as good as the H5360, so I won't recommend them.
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

The Optoma H67N DLP projector is also compatible with 3D Vision and is better than the H5360. It depends on the price at which it's available, but in a french review of both projectors the guy said the H67N wins hands down even with a price difference of 150€. I didn't find an equivalent review in english though.
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

yeah it must be so much better , sharing a common reference design & lamp

rebadged, its enough to buy the v700 & hack the inf.
-Biased for 0 Gen HMD's to hell and back must be one hundred percent hell bent bias!
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

Optoma HD76N :

After calibration :
Gamma : 2.2
Brightness : 600 cd/m²
Black level : 0.38 cd/m²
Contrast : 1567:1

Acer H5360 :

After calibration :
Gamma : 2.1 (impossible to obtain something equilibrated or to obtain 2.2 )
Brightness : 470 cd/m²
Black level : 0.45 cd/m²
Contrast : 1037:1

Same reference design you said ?
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

Yes according to DLP Link it should be the same in stereo , both are just RGB and in this case both darkchip3.

It'd be best if you make a hush box with new light dump, and calibrate it yourself then it would be like 5x better, neither is close to the native contrast of darkchip3, both are corrupted . I also want better optics than either of these. Im getting short throw. :roll:

Our local reviewers also made Hd67 and H5360 comparison and it wasnt this night & day , this is messed up somehow. Don't make it out like 'HD67N' worths the price premium it commands.
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

DLP has way too easy job. I am dissapoint. :lol:

Return to “3D Projectors”