ATI at 1080p 60hz 3d (120hz)

yunti
Two Eyed Hopeful

ATI at 1080p 60hz 3d (120hz)

Post by yunti »

I'm trying to work out if it is possible to get Ati to work in 3d at 60hz per eye in 1080p. I know this isn't possible over HDMI 1.4 but I presume ATi can work over Dual link DVI in the same way Nvidia can.

There seems to be some contradication out there:
In the comments the reviewer of this monitor seems to suggest ATI at 120hz 1080p isn't possible:
http://3dvision-blog.com/review-of-the- ... /#comments" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

However doesn't the existence of this monitor suggest that it is:
http://hothardware.com/News/Viewsonic-R ... e-Glasses/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(ie certified for AMD without HDMI 1.4)

Thanks
BlackShark
Certif-Eyable!

Re: ATI at 1080p 60hz 3d (120hz)

Post by BlackShark »

This Viewsonic monitor does full resolution 1080p at 120HZ. It uses DVI Dual link with a special proprietary protocol developed jointly between AMD and Viewsonic.

It is the only "all-in-one" consumer product which you can buy off the shelves at the moment that delivers FullHD at 60Hz per eye (at least in the UK) on AMD systems.
There are upcoming displays from Samsung that will have Display Port 1.2 which should be available sometime in March and should deliver FullHD at 60Hz per eye, but the full specifications for 3D usage are not yet available so, although it's very probable, we don't know for sure it will do it.

Outside of the magic and beautiful consumer world, ATI graphics cards have been doing FullHD 3D with 60Hz per eye for years, using advanced types of 3D displays usually reserved for high-end enthusiasts and professionals such as dual-projectors and stereo-mirror rigs (they use two displays driven simultaneously). I use one of them and I assure you it does the full resolution at full framerate.
Passive 3D forever !
DIY polarised dual-projector setup :
2x Epson EH-TW3500 (2D 1080p)
Xtrem Screen Daylight 2.0, for polarized 3D
3D Vision gaming with signal converter : VNS Geobox 501
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Well if the cards support quad-buffer and you have a 120Hz display, then it should technically be possible. I think the problem is that there is no way to sync with the glasses, and there are no modern 3d glasses for the PC besides the Nvidia 3D Vision. That Viewsonic monitor uses proprietary wired glasses, which is why it is able to sync. I don't think you can do this with any off the shelf glasses (ED. ELSA, etc.). Maybe this will change in the future, I don't know.
yunti
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by yunti »

Thanks for your post. So am I right in understanding that AMD cards can do 3d at 1080p 120Hz but they won't be compatible with any of the current monitors that work for Nvidia 3d vision (vid DL DVI). I thought this may work via eg the tri-DEF drivers and setting the output correctly?
Is the issue the glassess used or the format of the signal from the card to the monitor as defined by the driver setting?
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

To be honest I am not exactly sure what the big deal is (I imagine its a combination of things). From what I understand the biggest hurdle was having the video card (and the video drivers) able to know which eye was which and swapping it in the proper sync with the monitor refresh rate (taking into account complicated maters like having a variable frame-rate below 120Hz). I believe this is solved now with the new AMD driver. Now the problem is being able to sync to the glasses. Old-school glasses like ED/ELSA use the DDC line on a VGA cable. However 1080P@120Hz I believe needs to be on Dual-Link DVI to function. So I am not sure these old glasses with work. And clearly the Nvidia glasses will not work with AMD cards. So there are not a lot of options here. I hear IZ3D is considering bringing out their own "universal 3d glasses" that will solve this problem, I think there are speaking with various OEMs/investors at the moment. Who knows if this will actually go through.
yunti
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by yunti »

Thanks if Iz3d came out with universal glasses that would definately help.

Would the bit cauldron glasses that AMD promoted as the universal solution work here too? (although they don't seemt to have materialised)
BlackShark
Certif-Eyable!

Post by BlackShark »

Well the main problem before trying to think about universal glasses is to have universal displays. And a universal way to connect glasses to displays.

The bit cauldron were first announced in a world were displays would work with any device that could output a standard format and which has universal VESA 3D sync plug on which to plug the emitter. This is not the way the display manufacturers chose to follow, so it's become a bit tricky.
Not only are the glasses not compatible with any display unless you get an emitter, but the emitter itself cannot connect to any display on the market anymore.
Passive 3D forever !
DIY polarised dual-projector setup :
2x Epson EH-TW3500 (2D 1080p)
Xtrem Screen Daylight 2.0, for polarized 3D
3D Vision gaming with signal converter : VNS Geobox 501
yunti
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by yunti »

Thanks I hadn't realised it was that messed up. I was just looking for possibly getting a monitor that could support Ati in 3d at 1080p 60Hz and also have the option of working with Nvidia should I change cards in the future.

Looks like I will have to wait a while.

Return to “General Stereoscopic 3D Discussion”