Wireless Graphics Card, replace backpack system?

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
PalmerTech
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Wireless Graphics Card, replace backpack system?

Post by PalmerTech »

I know a lot of us have thrown around using a laptop in a backpack to use as a basis for a walk-around VR system free of cables, but I saw something pretty interesting: http://www.kfa2.com/gtx460whdi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Supposedly has a range of a 100 feet, and a hands on at CES I read somewhere (Gah, where is that link? It was in a video) said that the lag is in the milliseconds. Compared to past wireless video solutions, this looks leaps and bounds ahead, and it would be pretty awesome to have a desktop rig, and be able to use a walk-around pretty much anywhere in your house with just a small light receiver instead of a heavy, hot laptop.

cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Wireless Graphics Card, replace backpack system?

Post by cybereality »

Nice. That could prove very useful. Combine that with the upcoming VR1200 and you might have something (since the VR1200 supports side-by-side for 3D you don't have to worry about sync). Still need a backpack for the battery, but that could be housed in a small fanny pack even. Add in the wireless version of the Razer Hydra and you would really have something cool. That doesn't even seem that expensive. Might even be under $1,200 for everything (I'm totally guessing here, no one has announced any pricing). This could be interesting.
Okta

Post by Okta »

Dont Vuzix hmd's need the usb cable to read the driver?
"I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."
Notch on the FaceDisgrace buyout.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Okta wrote:Dont Vuzix hmd's need the usb cable to read the driver?
Yeah, you are right. I was thinking you could use one of those portable USB batteries (like this) but I forgot that it needs the USB for the headtracking. I wonder if wireless USB would be fast enough for gaming. Something like the Gefen Wireless USB 2.0 Extender looks like it might work.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

You can buy it, $500:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814162071" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Okta

Post by Okta »

I figured it would be pricey. Even wireless vga units are upwards of $350.
"I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."
Notch on the FaceDisgrace buyout.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Personally, I'd be a lot more interested if it were an external box I could attach to any video card. Not really interested in downgrading to a GTX 460, and then what happens if I want to buy a new GPU?
bobv5
Certif-Eyed!

Post by bobv5 »

Then you get to buy a new one? And help them make more money, yay! :evil:
Your right, this is either a very shortsighted design, at least for it's intended purpose, or (insert nvidia comment here....)

I expect it could be used in sli with a normal wired card, but... The resolution might be limited by the wireless link in which case you wouldn't need the extra power, and even if it isn't, for wireless vr you are going to be limited by the display res anyway. I'm using a much less powerful card, and have found nothing that will stress it at hmd resolutions.
"If you have a diabolical mind, the first thing that probably came to mind is that it will make an excellent trap: how do you get off a functional omni-directional treadmill?"
AntiCatalyst
Cross Eyed!

Post by AntiCatalyst »

cybereality wrote:Personally, I'd be a lot more interested if it were an external box I could attach to any video card. Not really interested in downgrading to a GTX 460, and then what happens if I want to buy a new GPU?
You could just get an SLI or CF motherboard. Then you could plug in both cards, while still keeping your current card as the "active" one and just using the outputs of the 460. At least i think that's how it works.

the 460 GPU wouldn't be completely wasted either, since you could use that for PhysX computing (or OpenCL if it ever takes off) :D
"This is great!"
alloy
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by alloy »

Wireless Graphics would make a lot more sense as an add-on TO a video output

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”