Samsung, RealD puts active shutter 3D nto the TV not glasses

Find a good article? Got a news story to share? VR, AR, 3D...it's all good! No self promotion please.
Silversurfer
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Samsung, RealD puts active shutter 3D nto the TV not glasses

Post by Silversurfer »

By Richard Lawler posted Jan 4th 2011 9:50AM
Breaking News

Just when we were getting used to the introduction of passive glasses 3D into the formerly active shutter-only home arena Samsung LCD Business and RealD will show off another option at this year's CES that is apparently based on the ZScreen technology RealD licensed last year. According to the two, RDZ LCD HDTVs are compatible with the cheaper RealD glasses already in use in theaters, by making the panel itself an active switching LCD instead. Compared to the patterned retarder passive 3D we expect to see from Vizio and LG, this has the advantage of not cutting the resolution of whatever you're watching in half, although they would likely still claim advantages in brightness and lack of flicker. We'll have to let our eyes tell us which is the best approach but the fact this is coming from Samsung's business LCD division instead of its consumer arm suggests the price of any displays that are eventually released will be something beyond the 3D capable TVs we're used to so far.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/04/sams ... er-3d-int/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Got a release or 3D news story to share? Email press@mtbs3D.com, and we'll put it up!

cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Samsung, RealD puts active shutter 3D nto the TV not gla

Post by cybereality »

This is going to be big. Lets just hope they don't price us all out the market.
android78
Certif-Eyable!

Post by android78 »

This is huge if they can make it work with as little ghosting as the cinemas.
Maybe I should have waited a couple of years before jumping in and buying a 3D TV. Oh well, time to start saving money for my 3rd large screen tv in 3 years.
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

I dont see how this is better than the current "crop".

You think seeing the room all the time is beneficial?

Or they going to use high quality polarizer?

no-no, this is pub3d , and liquid crystal stuff is overrated , as always.
-Biased for 0 Gen HMD's to hell and back must be one hundred percent hell bent bias!
android78
Certif-Eyable!

Post by android78 »

tritosine wrote:I dont see how this is better than the current "crop".
You think seeing the room all the time is beneficial?
Or they going to use high quality polarizer?
no-no, this is pub3d , and liquid crystal stuff is overrated , as always.
I think I'll reserve my judgement until I see the actual product. The main advantages over the current crop as I see it are:
1 - Full HD for both eyes
2 - Cheap, lightweight glasses that don't require batteries or recharging.
3 - Possibly less ghosting. I'm not entirely sure how this will work, but if the polarizer works as well as the realD in the cinemas, I think it will be as good as, if not better, then the best current TVs in terms of ghosting.
4 - Never have to worry about glasses going out of sync again!
5 - At least alternate solutions are being researched... we'll see which is best and wins the war for 3D display tech.
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

I'm also very curious! Real-d cinemas uses antighosting algorithm which makes miracles. I don't notice any poor blacklevels either but honestly these aren't my highest priority. If ghosting can be decreased on cost for tiny worse blacklevels then just bring it on!
However the movies i've seen in real-d theatres are subbed with white or yellow color. I'm guessing but it seems like the subs are attached after the actual antighosting preparation because they ghosts just awful in higher contrast situations. So i don't really know anything about how these tv's are able to perform.
The tv-set doesn't need to wrestle with a silverscreen which should make it better than real-d, at least hardwarewise.
It's great that developers are finding options to almost circumvent the standard rules for 3d. It kind of shows that we're just in the beginning of a new era! *lyric... :lol:
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D

Return to “User Contributed Immersive Technology News & Announcements”