2d .mkv files to 3d ? converter?

Tutorials on how to create your own rigs, pics, movies, and everything that has to do with S-3D at home!
raskassiano
One Eyed Hopeful

2d .mkv files to 3d ? converter?

Post by raskassiano »

Hi guys
I want to buy an Acer H5360 720p 3d projector, my question is can i convert normal 2d mkv movie file to 3d ones or is there a player that does that in order for me to watch it on the projector?
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: 2d .mkv files to 3d ? converter?

Post by cybereality »

To be honest, automatic 2D->3D conversion is very bad and rarely works. Even so, the few applications that can do this don't support 3D-ready projectors AFAIK. Really, you won't be missing much. Its mostly crap.
raskassiano
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by raskassiano »

so for example a movie like beowulf or final destination 4 , that were presented in 3d in cinema , if i convert them from 2d to 3d i wont get the cinema effect?
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

Simply said: No you won't. Some find the effect quite good but myself i can't really stand it the way it is today. I don't know if the effect will be more accurate in the future so i'll leave that string open.
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
sjfox85
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by sjfox85 »

Hi All, I'm a newbe here so please be kind.
I have just bought into the 3d scene with a zalman tridef (literally 3days ago), I have played arround with the eDimentional some years ago.

I recently upconverted a couple of my animated movies to 3d an I'm rather impressed with the results. Admittedly it's not as good as the cinemas by far, but still AWESOME in my oppinion. I've yet to explore upconverting movies, something tells be that it wont be as good as the animated. Doesn't affect me that much as I love my animated movies.

My whole process is done with free and open source software.
The original files were either xvid.avi or h264.MKV. The original avi's were low res, but the MKV's were originally 1080p which in the convertion process I scaled down to 720 to match the zalman monitors native resolution. The resulting file is always xvid.avi side-by-side. I have found the low res convertions work well untill you make them full screen, then you do get some occaisional ghosting due to the compression losses, but the High res ones work rather well (in my beginners oppinoin).

If anyone is interested I'd be happy to upload some 2-3min segments for your thoughts and oppinions and undoubtedly criticisms.
(If someone could let me know where is a good place to upload)

raskassiano - I dont want to hijack the thred but while the videos themselves wont be of any use to you the resulting comments from other members might prove useful in your decision making.
raskassiano
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by raskassiano »

sjfox85 .. be my guest ... i don't mind ;)
shonofear
Cross Eyed!

Post by shonofear »

yea, upload it, ill check it out.

cheers
waiting patiently......
sjfox85
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by sjfox85 »

OK, Here goes, Please note I'm still uploading my other files.
I have the first 2min of StarTrek2009, and the Paramount logo from the very beginning to startrek, both in 720p.

The first is from the movie "Fly me to the Moon", an animation originally released in real 3d in cinemas.
I consider this to be low res quality.

Side-by-Side, Left Frame First.

Adjust pixel separation to your liking. Noting that 0pix separation gives no 3D result. I've found around 35pix works well. Nice depth without straining the eyes.
Also I've found that you must be sitting in the sweet spot to eliminate ghosting (square on)
And being low res, enlarging more than 2x introduces ghosting (no full screen)
With up-converting nothing jumps off the screen, rather you look through a window into another 3D world. Much like dolby 3d.

Let me know.
sjfox85
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by sjfox85 »

Sorry Folks, Still trying to upload the startrek sample.

Here is the paramount logo. This is my favorite.
http://www.mediafire.com/?2tnzwztnyze" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And the link for the previous post (fly me to the moon)
http://www.mediafire.com/?yqyzmqidkoe" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

StarTrek to come soon......
sjfox85
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by sjfox85 »

And finally:

http://hotfile.com/dl/29762923/c7effb4/ ... 9.avi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I must caution anyone wanting to have a look at this one. Due to the shooting techniques used and the special effects (lens flare, white out, Pan with shallow depth of field) this clip is quite intense but very cool.
I've found the 5-6pix of separation is quite enough, but no more than 10pix.

Enjoy and please post a review.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

yao847zi wrote:3D Blu-ray player PowerDVD 10 takes you to new heights of visual excellence for standard DVD content. Featuring advanced TrueTheater™ 3D technology, PowerDVD converts 2D movies and video files into spectacular 3D videos. Optimize playback quality for your movie content and hardware.
DO NOT GO TO THE SITES LISTED ABOVE. It is spam and/or warez and probably has malware too, its not the official sites. Maybe a phishing attack.

Return to “Do it Yourself!”