A Trip to the Aquarium in 3D

Find a good article? Got a news story to share? VR, AR, 3D...it's all good! No self promotion please.
Silversurfer
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

A Trip to the Aquarium in 3D

Post by Silversurfer »

[youtube-hd]<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/g3p1aJ02Lzo&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/g3p1aJ02Lzo&hl ... &version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>[/youtube-hd]

If two intense hours of Tron in 3D seems like a bit much, maybe spending a few minutes with some three-dee fishies is more your speed. This clip, shot at the Georgia Aquarium, is the perfect bite-sized 3D treat.

Well, the video is bite size. The whale sharks seen in it are not. The user who submitted the video to BoingBoing offers these tips for watching:

It's made for Red/Left Eye and Blue/Right Eye glasses. Apparently all glasses may not follow that same convention. In that case just flip them upside down if you can. I am not sure about the tilt. It works great for me. Don't full screen it, it was calibrated to be viewed at about the standard size of a small youtube screen at 720P.

And if you enjoyed that, you can always find more in the seminal nature documentary Jaws 3-D. [BoingBoing]

http://gizmodo.com/5715731/visit-the-ge ... Gizmodo%29" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Got a release or 3D news story to share? Email press@mtbs3D.com, and we'll put it up!

Silversurfer
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Re: A Trip to the Aquarium in 3D

Post by Silversurfer »

I am just blown away at the depth of field produced by this video! If this was shot with numerous waterproof camera's actually in the centre of this aquarium staged in a 360 circular configuration you would swear you were in the water. I've left a congrats at his YouTube page to encourage him after the previous comment was so negative there.
Got a release or 3D news story to share? Email press@mtbs3D.com, and we'll put it up!

cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Hmm.. I'm not seeing all that much depth in this video. I mean, there is some, but its so muddy and devoid of color that its hard to tell what is going on either way. Nothing close to the fish demo that came with the Zalman monitor. Those underwater IMAX 3D Blu-Rays are also pretty cool (Under the Sea, Into the Deep). You should check those out if you like this.
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

It's a nice vid but he should have checked the vertical alignment before converting to anaglyph. It's a tad eyestraining to watch.
Nonethless nice! Adores underwater scenes!
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

I wonder how anyone can see any stereo in this video, on my 19" screen there is more that 9mm of vertical parallax in fullscreen and it's already be shown in a scientific study that it's impossible to make a stereoscopic fusion when there is more than 7mm of vertical parallax. Are you all looking at this video with the head tilted ?
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

I look with head straight horisontal and let the eyes "adapt" a tiny bit. The bad alignment makes it very eyestraining but i do have stereovision. You can download the video Here with the same bad alignment but at least it can be adjusted if viewed in a player. To add the vids l/r views have different sizes which gives a tiny weird "autoconversion effect"... lol
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D

Return to “User Contributed Immersive Technology News & Announcements”