Apple wins patent on 3D projector that needs no glasses

Find a good article? Got a news story to share? VR, AR, 3D...it's all good! No self promotion please.
gisabun
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Apple wins patent on 3D projector that needs no glasses

Post by gisabun »

"Apple has been awarded a U.S. patent for a display system that would allow multiple viewers to see a high-quality 3D image projected on a screen without the need for special glasses, regardless of where they are sitting.

Following the success of 3D films in movie theaters, home electronics manufacturers are hoping that 3D technology will entice consumers to buy new TV sets and Blu-ray players. But entertainment is far from the only field in which 3D can enhance the viewing experience: others include medical diagnostics, flight simulation, air traffic control, battlefield simulation, weather diagnostics, advertising and education, according to Apple's U.S. patent 7,843,449 for a 3D display system, awarded Tuesday. "

http://www.itbusiness.ca/it/client/en/c ... p?id=60370" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PalmerTech
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Re: Apple wins patent on 3D projector that needs no glasses

Post by PalmerTech »

This requires eye tracking, and insanely high resolutions. It will probably be a long time before anything comes of this. :(
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Yeah, eye tracking is not really a viable long-term solution (although it will be cool until we have real holograms). Still, nice to see they are trying.
android78
Certif-Eyable!

Post by android78 »

cybereality wrote:Yeah, eye tracking is not really a viable long-term solution (although it will be cool until we have real holograms). Still, nice to see they are trying.
I tend to agree. This is only viable for a single user anyway.
I think that we'll be using passive polarized or active glasses for a while yet for multi-viewer displays. It would be good for 3DS type devices though... or iPhone3D.
Okta
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by Okta »

Man im gonna patent that time machine ive been dreaming about. Damn i hate Apple.
"I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."
Notch on the FaceDisgrace buyout.
Frixzon
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Frixzon »

Agree, always disliked Apple.
android78
Certif-Eyable!

Post by android78 »

Frixzon wrote:Agree, always disliked Apple.
I'm no Apple fanboi, but I think they have at least been forward thinking with regards to their personal communications and music listening devices (iPhone/iPod). I think that it could be a good thing to have a company that has the resources and often willing to take a risk on what, at first appear to be niche products, to be looking at 3D technology as this could promote rapid advancement.
For example, look how slow progress of the smartphones seemed to be before the iPhone.
The whole patent issue is a double edged sword... no company will want to invest a lot of money in technology that another company can then just copy. But this also means there is less competition since they have control over the technology.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Personally I don't like Apple either but if they take 3D mainstream, well then, I will be the biggest Apple fanboi!
cirk2
Certif-Eyed!

Post by cirk2 »

cybereality wrote:Personally I don't like Apple either but if they take 3D mainstream, well then, I will be the biggest Apple fanboi!

I've never liked Apple nor will I ever like them.
When they take 3D mainstream I will be thankfull for them, but I won't like them...
skrubol
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by skrubol »

I don't think this patent requires any higher spatial resolution (though pixels will have to be smaller.. low fill factor.) It's using time multiplexing.
Still, nothing all that novel, similar techniques have been discussed here. Problem is actually doing it.
gisabun

Post by gisabun »

cybereality wrote:Personally I don't like Apple either but if they take 3D mainstream, well then, I will be the biggest Apple fanboi!
Well in your case, fangurl. :-)
gisabun

Post by gisabun »

Frixzon wrote:Agree, always disliked Apple.
I'm no fan of Apple either. They asren't good for the environment [not that I am an environmentalist]. You can't change a battery [officially] on your own for any of their devices. THeir products in gheneral are over priced and over hyped.

You think the Mac OS market share would be higher than the 7% it is right now if you could install the OS on any PC - and not just Apple "hardware"? I think so.

Yes. they are innovative but are turning more and more like what Microsoft was 10 years ago - proprietary.

Can ytou transfer music to an iPod without the buggy and bloated iTunes. I don't think so.
Aeroflux
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Aeroflux »

Although I own an iphone (app store is my ball & chain) and use macs at school regularly, I consider myself more of a critic than a fan. Combine Apple and Patent in the same sentance and you will find a product too expensive to be mainstream. Knowing Jobs, the projector will probably support Apple hardware only (such as a 3D blu-ray player, patent pending). To Apple, the concept of mainstream involves dominating the market with their own ideals. At present, this doesn't work in the real world.

Return to “User Contributed Immersive Technology News & Announcements”