Z800 eMagin is up to something

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
genetic
Cross Eyed!

Z800 eMagin is up to something

Post by genetic »

For the Z800

There may be hope here or this could be a very mean trick.

http://www.3dvisor.com/support.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

they now give a link to new nvidia drivers

NVIDIA 3D Stereo Driver Windows 7, Vista 32-bit & 64-bit: v197.45

and they tell you to check here

http://www.nvidia.com/object/3d-vision-3d-games.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

for a list of 3D game effect rating.

maybe this is for 7800 GPUs and older on Windows seven?

I am lost.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Z800 eMagin is up to something

Post by cybereality »

Maybe they signed a deal with Nvidia?
crim3
Certif-Eyed!

Post by crim3 »

Really very very stange 0_o!
I'd test it but it seems very unlikely because the z800 can't not identified itself and is always listed as CRT display, so, the nvidia stereo driver can't enable the correct output based on the display ID.

Maybe what happens is that the z800 is usable IF you have the nvidia shutters plugged in.
Zalman Trimon ZM-M220W / Acer H5360 with Another Eye2000 shutters / nVIDIA GTX760
Johnny-Mnemonic
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Johnny-Mnemonic »

crim3 wrote:Really very very stange 0_o!
I'd test it but it seems very unlikely because the z800 can't not identified itself and is always listed as CRT display, so, the nvidia stereo driver can't enable the correct output based on the display ID.

Maybe what happens is that the z800 is usable IF you have the nvidia shutters plugged in.
Test it please, very intriguing!
Oculus Rift, Vuzix Wrap 920 AR!, Vuzix VR920, Liquid Image MRG 2.2, Razer Hydra, P5 Glove, Microsoft Kinect, TrackIR5, 2 x Hillcrest Labs Freespace tracker, Fujifilm finepix real 3d w3, GeForce 9800GT 1Gb, GeForce GT 430 1Gb, DELL XPS 17 l702x with GeForce 555 GT 3Gb, and good-old VFX1 setup
crim3
Certif-Eyed!

Post by crim3 »

Every time a try to setup my mind to go through all this hassle one fearsome word repeats inside my mind: anaglyph.
I'm 99% this won't work by just installing the infamous nvidia driver, so I really don't feel like testing it.
I have revised the FAQ at the z800's site and it's plenty of reference about its functionality in both xp and vista, but not how to do it.

This question (and answer) is very interesting (from http://www.3dvisor.com/faqs.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;):
Will stereovision 3D work on my computer?

Most Windows XP and Windows Vista PCs and video cards have the potential of producing some level of stereovision 3D imagery with the right software. eMagin Corportaion's value added reseller (Virtual Realities) now has the Z800 working in 3D with Windows XP and Vista with most ATI and NVIDIA graphics card. Customers are also welcome to contact Virtual Realities at techsupport@vrealities.com if you require further detailed instructions
And the same answer is given in another question about opengl. To me it seems that they have come out with something, but you have to contact their "value added reseller" to know what it is.
Zalman Trimon ZM-M220W / Acer H5360 with Another Eye2000 shutters / nVIDIA GTX760
vrekks
Cross Eyed!

Post by vrekks »

OMFG! Emagin actually had a human test their product with some games in 3d. This is a big step for them in the consumer department. Maybe this is a sign of things to come. I doubt it though because they still list the 78.01 driver as a requirement.
"Who has ever torn himself from the claw that encloses you when you drop a seed in a TV parlor? It grows you any shape it wishes! It is an environment as real as the world. It becomes and is the truth. Books can be beaten down with reason. But with all my knowledge and scepticism, I have never been able to argue with a one-hundred-piece symphony orchestra, full colour, three dimensions, and I being in and part of those incredible parlors."
crim3
Certif-Eyed!

Post by crim3 »

vrekks wrote:OMFG! Emagin actually had a human test their product with some games in 3d. This is a big step for them in the consumer department.
:lol: Yes, I feel sorry for them. They are so used to ignore the outer world... But now they are forced to interact with customers in an attempt to get their share of the 3D cake.
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

crim3 wrote:
vrekks wrote:OMFG! Emagin actually had a human test their product with some games in 3d. This is a big step for them in the consumer department.
:lol: Yes, I feel sorry for them. They are so used to ignore the outer world... But now they are forced to interact with customers in an attempt to get their share of the 3D cake.

why can't they add support for S-video and composite video (NTSC/PAL) - all they have to do is to mod the box a bit and then demand the US1.5k with grits and gusto...

and make it wireless also with transmitter on the box and receiver on the z800 (something like fatshark) with battery of about 6-7 hrs !

look at - z800 is neither a complete games accessory nor a full-fledged 3d device supporting the entire gamut of 3d games irrespective of graphic cards nor a portable video accessory..

In other words - it's poop that they are selling for US 1.7k !

even the nonames in HMD are providing multiple input [composite,s-video,vga etc) and even dual input ...

are emagin R&D afraid of something new to try ?
Or are they simply air-heads just running out of ideas ?

Once z800 starts to accept multiple input as above - i will be first one to buy straight away

is anybody from z800 R&D looking at this post ..................
PalmerTech
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by PalmerTech »

Ancjob, I think you misunderstand the market. HMD makers do not WANT to market to the mainstream, in general. It is just not profitable enough.

They would much rather sell just a few units to medical, law enforcement, military, and research organizations than to sell lots of units to consumers for a lower price. They do not need nor want to expand, they are generally fairly small companies that are happy to live on the market they already have. Adding more inputs is just not something they need to worry about.

Also, as a side note: You said in another post that your graphics card cannot go down to 640x480. I am 99% sure it can. You just go to advanced settings, then display all resolutions. 640x480 at 60hz is bound to be there somewhere.
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

PalmerTech wrote:Ancjob, I think you misunderstand the market. HMD makers do not WANT to market to the mainstream, in general. It is just not profitable enough.

They would much rather sell just a few units to medical, law enforcement, military, and research organizations than to sell lots of units to consumers for a lower price. They do not need nor want to expand, they are generally fairly small companies that are happy to live on the market they already have. Adding more inputs is just not something they need to worry about.

Also, as a side note: You said in another post that your graphics card cannot go down to 640x480. I am 99% sure it can. You just go to advanced settings, then display all resolutions. 640x480 at 60hz is bound to be there somewhere.
---------------------
yes it does not display 640x480 normally hidden - slider does go to 800x600 minimum
ONLY under advanced settings win 7 enterprise - display] where it lists all modes the i see 640x480 and when i chose that i have a small rectangular screen for display flanked on all sides by black...and i utter one word - preposterous !
changing it back to 1400x900 full screen
Defender
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Defender »

why should you want to use 640x480, z800 resolution is 800x600

i guess you need new firmware revision, some time ago they sold a new bios for the device supporting native 3D modes.

i don't agree with PalmerTech. Why should emagin make a new website for the z800 when they don't want to sell it to consumers. Of course they have the millitary market but they clearly feature the gamer potentional.

unfortunately it is not clear if new nvdia drivers support the device.

Stupid enough i sold my z800 for very low price, now it is like 2000$ device.
- My stereo rig -
- iZ3D 22'' - GTX 260 - i7 920 - 12GB Ram - Windows 7 64bit
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

can somebody tell if the z800 accepts input @50Hz ?

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”