Cameras Fujifilm introduces Finepix Real 3D W3 camera

Find a good article? Got a news story to share? VR, AR, 3D...it's all good! No self promotion please.
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Cameras Fujifilm introduces Finepix Real 3D W3 camera

Post by yuriythebest »

http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/17/fuji ... -hands-on/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cameras
Fujifilm introduces Finepix Real 3D W3 camera, we go hands-on
By Sean Hollister posted Aug 17th 2010 12:13AM
Hands-On
Preview
When reviewers call your product "the worst ____ ever made," do you give up and move on? Or do you build a second model and try to prove them wrong? After introducing the world's first consumer stereoscopic 3D shooter to dismal reviews, FujiFilm chose door number two, replacing the camera with a thinner, lighter, and easier-to-use version that addresses a host of complaints and costs $100 less to boot. The FujiFilm FinePix Real 3D W3 adds a larger 3.5-inch, 16:9 LCD screen, a 720p video recording mode, and HDMI 1.4 out for dropping images and videos right into your 3D-ready TV. Oh, and it actually feels like a real camera this time, our favorite feature by far. We got some hands-on time with the new cross-eyed shooter, read on for more!
Fujifilm's Real 3D W3 camera hands-on

Surprisingly enough, FujiFilm didn't start from scratch with the W3, as the FinePix Real 3D system inside hasn't changed one bit: you'll find the same 3x zoom lenses, the same 10 megapixel CCD sensors, and the same RealPhoto processor under the hood. If you weren't happy with the horrendous noise and limited low-light sensitivity of the W1, you won't find better image quality here, but for most every other physical feature Fuji went back to the drawing board. Gone are the wonky controls and guesswork menus, replaced with the standard dial-and-directional-pad and UI identical to Fuji's other models. Viewed from the rear, it's practically indistinguishable from a standard pocket cam, and if you've ever used another Fuji you'll be right at home with the W3. From the front, the camera's a dead ringer for the original, but less glossy and chunky, though it's still quite the lump in a pants pocket and weighs over half a pound. Making the camera smaller involved a tradeoff, too -- the camera now uses a smaller (but admittedly more common) NP-50 battery pack rated at 150 shots sans flash.

Now, we weren't able to spend nearly enough time with the W3 to make any sort of judgment call on the quality of the unit's stereoscopic shots -- as factors like relative subject depth give 3D photography something of a learning curve -- but we found it easy enough to experiment with the camera's impressive array of automatic and manual modes. That said, we weren't always impressed with what we ended up seeing on the W3's screen. The 3.5-inch parallax barrier LCD has over quadruple the pixels of the older camera -- enough that we couldn't make out individual dots like on the W1 -- but the stereoscopic viewing zone actually felt smaller in that it took less head movement to pull us out of the zone and induce eyestrain. Viewing images on a Sony 3DTV via HDMI was easier on the eyes, but showed serious limitations to Fuji's video output. Images were dim and constantly flickering, and 720p video was grainy to the point of resembling VHS footage. Both screens showed that ghosting was prevalent in every picture we took and some professionally shot scenes as well, though the best of these showed that the camera's also capable of capturing convincing levels of depth with some foresight and practice; we noticed that objects deep in the background of an image often still looked three-dimensional instead of "billboarding" like in some stereoscopic content.

FujiFilm representatives told us straight-up that though the W1 met sales expectations, the $600 camera only sold several hundred units to a strictly enthusiast market. At $500 and with consumer-friendly controls, the W3 could do much better, but we have to wonder why the company sprang for a second camera without even incrementally improving the pocket shooter's output.
would have been nice to see some demo 720p videos

I'm still waiting for something that's 200-300$, fits in your pocket and shoots 3d 720p well (30fps, no weird problems, etc etc) and preferably with a parallax barrier display
Oculus Rift / 3d Sucks - 2D FTW!!!
WheatstoneHolmes
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Re: Cameras Fujifilm introduces Finepix Real 3D W3 camera

Post by WheatstoneHolmes »

There aren't that many pocket camcorders in that price range that shoot HD well, so its no surprise that there isn't a 3D pocket camcorder that shoots HD well.

The Kodak zi8 is quite smooth from what I've seen and the JVC Picsio captures some fairly smooth video (and the best colors I've ever seen in a pocket camcorder!) but they all have a bit of the tearing/wobblies :D

Heck, most full-sized camcorders can't pan very fast without problems.

I think my old Sony Handycam Hi8 tape camcorder handled fast pans better than my digital HD cams.
I came here to chew bubblegum and to see 3D...and I'm all out of bubblegum!
-----------------------
Me on YouTube, you watch: http://www.youtube.com/user/WheatstoneHolmes
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

WheatstoneHolmes wrote:There aren't that many pocket camcorders in that price range that shoot HD well, so its no surprise that there isn't a 3D pocket camcorder that shoots HD well.

The Kodak zi8 is quite smooth from what I've seen and the JVC Picsio captures some fairly smooth video (and the best colors I've ever seen in a pocket camcorder!) but they all have a bit of the tearing/wobblies :D

Heck, most full-sized camcorders can't pan very fast without problems.

I think my old Sony Handycam Hi8 tape camcorder handled fast pans better than my digital HD cams.
you know, I'd even pay 100-120$ for a pocket camcorder that shoots in 3D VGA @ 30FPS WELL
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Hmm this is interesting. 720P video is a nice feature, and we know it can take decent photos. I was thinking about getting that Aiptek one (low-end, I know) but maybe I should save my money for this new Fujifilm model. $500 is still rather pricey but its at least a little better than $600. Though I think I like the look of the original a bit better. Arrg, decisions, decisions.
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

cybereality wrote:Hmm this is interesting. 720P video is a nice feature, and we know it can take decent photos. I was thinking about getting that Aiptek one (low-end, I know) but maybe I should save my money for this new Fujifilm model. $500 is still rather pricey but its at least a little better than $600. Though I think I like the look of the original a bit better. Arrg, decisions, decisions.
yeah the original looked better - the new one is smaller but they could have kept the original glossy style and just plastered "720p" in large letters on the front
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

Some testimages of the Fuji W3 screen by "Dan (aka firrs)" on flickr:
Dan (aka firrs) wrote:The image displayed on the camera screen was NOT taken with this camera. It is a 3D photo I took with a pair of cameras and then converted to MPO format with StereoPhoto Maker.
Directlink: http://www.flickr.com/photos/firrs/5185861106/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Directlink: http://www.flickr.com/photos/firrs/5185257263/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Directlink: http://www.flickr.com/photos/firrs/5185258575/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Directlink: http://www.flickr.com/photos/firrs/5185257957/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Autostereoscopic displays definitely have their place in stereocameras! The image looks good too once the sweet spot is found.
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Wow! That looks really good. Much better than I thought. I just wish it was cheaper.
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

sample clip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qx-utwlG ... re=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Now THAT's 3d 720p - the aiptek/viewsonic samples look like total crap when compared to this
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Yeah, seen that clip before. Very nice. Also, it looks like YouTube finally fixed the bug with the YT3D player.
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

I'm so friggin curious on this camera! It's available here at 430 euros. With the fact it shoots hd videos it's a good deal and being stereo makes it better. I don't think it's up to the imagequality of the canontwin but the w3 doesn't look like a frankencam....
HeadTrip
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by HeadTrip »

Well, I wasn't sure about this cam...so I just said screw it and got one. WOW.
I have to say, so far the 3D is just amazing. i'm so used to the chacha, slide bars, conversions...just clicking is great.
It does have limitations the of other point and clicks, some grain...light requirements... but it is so much more impressive than the demo clips ive seen of the aiptek... almost everyone I show is floored by the auto3D screen, except a few that couldn't see it. (its VERY sharp, no vertical artifacts).
The realtime 3D view looks bad until you half click the exposure, then it looks great.

I'll be posting images and videos when i get stuff worth posting.
Has anyone made lenticular prints with it?
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

Please do! I'm very interested in this camera and i have more or less decided to get one. Just need to buy all x-maspresents and see if there's something left... :roll:
HeadTrip
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by HeadTrip »

BTW I picked it up at the Best Buy near Boston (watertown)... I was really surprised they had it on display to play with...once it was in my hands I had to have it ;)
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

The W3 can now be purchased for $399 at Amazon (and I've seen it for a few dollars cheaper from other sellers):
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003ZHV70M" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Still not the "nice price" but somewhat more reasonable.
HeadTrip
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by HeadTrip »

I put some test shots up on my blog, please let me know if they are too small or too big (crosseye)...im new to posting stereo shots on the web...
Sorry, my link is gone
Last edited by HeadTrip on Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Nice, looking good man. You could probably even go slightly bigger but I think that is a comfortable size for most people.
Tone
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Tone »

My W3 images at Phereo. Great point-n-shoot results.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Nice.
HeadTrip
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by HeadTrip »

cool shots! that Phereo site is interesting, love the stereo options.
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

3d unboxing video
[youtube-hd]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEgMsBOA0cY[/youtube-hd]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEgMsBOA0cY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by yuriythebest on Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

Thanks for all the images! Pictures tells a lot more than words, that's for sure.
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

was finally able to upload to youtube yay!
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

Nice!

Return to “User Contributed Immersive Technology News & Announcements”