3D Animator that wants to publish his 3D content on a 3DTV??

Don't know the first thing about S-3D? Just bought your first pair of 3D glasses? Trying to figure out what to buy? Post HERE!
R9Lemon
One Eyed Hopeful

3D Animator that wants to publish his 3D content on a 3DTV??

Post by R9Lemon »

Hello and thanks for your time,

I'm new here and to the world of S3D. I've read some tuts and previous posts to clarify some things.

I create 3D images and animations and my goal it to output this content in the easiest way to a 54" 3D TV for presentations. From what I understand at this point, the big 3DTV suppliers like Panasonic, Sharp, Samsung etc do not allow publishing of 3D content to display on their TV's. However I heard LG 6500 do.

Is this all true?

In a nutshell, how can a 3D artist like me output his material on a large 3D TV. What devices, or software will I need. Can I burn on DVD's and playback on 3DTV?
Anyways I'm not sure where to start so any links, tuts, or advice is most welcome.

thanks again.
R9Lemon
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: 3D Animator that wants to publish his 3D content on a 3D

Post by cybereality »

Well you will first need to understand how to output 3D rendered animations into stereoscopic 3D (if you don't already know how to do this). The basic idea is that you render twice, with two cameras (about eye distance apart). So now you should have 2 full resolution video files, one for left eye and one for right. Now you need to author the video into a 3D format the TV can accept. You can do this with software like Stereo Movie Maker (free) or Magix Movie Edit Pro 17 Plus ($99 but better quality). There is no consumer (or affordable commercial) software that will output for Blu-Ray 3D. So you will need to use one of the lower quality "frame compatible" methods. Pretty much this means you will need to format for half-resolution side-by-side 3D. This is a single video (same dimensions as one view) however each eye is squished into half vertical resolution so they both fit on one frame. Mostly all 2010 era 3D HDTVs will support side-by-side mode (since this is what is used for 3D broadcast TV). This includes the Panasonic (like the VT25, widely considered the best 3D TV on the market), or the Samsungs (which support every format under the sun. Their LCDs have ghosting issues, but the plasma is OK). You can use a PC/laptop and connect it to the 3D TV via HDMI or you could burn a 2D Blu-Ray and play it with a standalone player or PS3. You could also use a PS3/Xbox as a media server and do it that way (which is probably cheaper than using an HTPC). I don't think standard DVD would work, since it seems 3D TVs need an HDMI signal, although some newer DVD players do upscale at 1080P and output on HDMI. However with a 54" screen, DVD quality at half-resolution is going to look really shabby.

Return to “I'm New To Stereoscopic 3D!”