VIZIO 65-inch edge-lit LED TV with passive 3D glasses

Find a good article? Got a news story to share? VR, AR, 3D...it's all good! No self promotion please.
Silversurfer
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

VIZIO 65-inch edge-lit LED TV with passive 3D glasses

Post by Silversurfer »

Making plans to invite the whole neighborhood to watch the BCS National Championship in 3D? For large groups, the best option may be this 65-inch Theater 3D LCD HDTV that posters on AVSForum spotted today on VIZIO's website, since its screen is polarized for use with passive 3D glasses like the ones used at most movie theaters. Since all the cost is in the $3,699 screen, the individual pairs of glasses are far cheaper than the battery powered active shutter glasses used by other 3DTVs currently available. The specs show this one is a 120Hz edge lit LED unit, unlike the 480Hz local dimming 3D sets the company announced earlier this week, but we'll wait for an official announcement and a release date before deciding if that makes a difference. AVSForum
VIZIO

http://www.engadget.com/2010/11/19/unan ... -shows-up/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Got a release or 3D news story to share? Email press@mtbs3D.com, and we'll put it up!

cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: VIZIO 65-inch edge-lit LED TV with passive 3D glasses

Post by cybereality »

Oh, passive 3D HDTV: Very nice. Price: Not so much.
gisabun

Post by gisabun »

How good are VIZIO products in general? Looking not for the computer but a "reguilar" HDTV.

[Sort of reminds me of Microsoft Visio every time I see the name.]
MadRussian
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by MadRussian »

Anyone have any idea if this TV will have limited vertical viewing constraint similar to Zalman Trimon 3D? (seeing as they are both passive, etc...) What about any other drawbacks aside from price and potential halving of the resolution?

Yeah, as soon as a passive monitor/tv comes along that doesn't break the bank and works well, I'm going to ditch my Zalman. I will always have fond memories of my Zalman, but it's time for something new I'm afraid. Unfortunately, I have this stigma against active (open-close-open-close on my poor retinas, etc) so I will wait for a new passive solution. If it takes too long, well there's always the possibility of a dual-projector setup, but that seems so... unwieldy.

(btw- Any word on that passive JVC that was suppose to be coming out eventually?)
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

For this kinda money, You can get 2x DLP 1080p RPTV-s disassembled, and put them behind a polarization preserving rear projection screen.

Probably beats interlaced ghosting LCD stuff, not really the same category :mrgreen:
(open-close-open-close on my poor retinas, etc

So that stuff happened to your retinas in the CRT era? You can't even watch a plasmaTV now?

DLP with shutterglasses has more open time than a 2d plasma tv ( 8ms ON, 8ms OFF, plasma 4ms ON ). Aren't we talkin about hypochondria ?
-Biased for 0 Gen HMD's to hell and back must be one hundred percent hell bent bias!
MadRussian
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by MadRussian »

So that stuff happened to your retinas in the CRT era? You can't even watch a plasmaTV now?

DLP with shutterglasses has more open time than a 2d plasma tv ( 8ms ON, 8ms OFF, plasma 4ms ON ). Aren't we talkin about hypochondria ?
LOL, yeah really bad eye strain and headache playing Jedi Knight on a CRT in 3D back in the day. :mrgreen:

Maybe I shouldn't knock these latest Active sets without trying them first for an extended period. I do have a hunch though that I'll be happiest with upcoming Passive.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

A friend of mine got a Vizio, it wasn't bad. Maybe not up to the quality of the name-brands, but it looked good enough. He paid $500 for a 32" 720P model (like 2 years ago, so it was a good deal). They usually cater to the budget market, so price-to-performance is a consideration. However this latest 3D model is priced at the serious high-end. Its only slightly cheaper than the 65" Panasonic VT25, which is generally considered the best 3D TV on the market. Of course, the glasses are cheaper, but it is still in the high-end range. Especially when you can get a Samsung 720P 3DTV for like $900. Vizio just priced themselves out of their demographic.
PalmerTech
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by PalmerTech »

Vizio works the re-badge market. They sell a lot of the exact same TVs as Sony and Sharp, but without the fancy branding and design work.

Stuff in their low end ranges is, accordingly, low end. As the prices get higher, so does the quality. I like Vizio a lot, you just need to research their TVs before you buy them to make sure it is not a sub-par model, and ideally you will find what the Sony or Sharp equivalent is.

I hope prices come down on this, remember how expensive the very first shutter glasses LCDs were? A price drop of the same magnitude would be great.
gisabun

Post by gisabun »

PalmerTech wrote:Vizio works the re-badge market. They sell a lot of the exact same TVs as Sony and Sharp, but without the fancy branding and design work.

Stuff in their low end ranges is, accordingly, low end. As the prices get higher, so does the quality. I like Vizio a lot, you just need to research their TVs before you buy them to make sure it is not a sub-par model, and ideally you will find what the Sony or Sharp equivalent is.

I hope prices come down on this, remember how expensive the very first shutter glasses LCDs were? A price drop of the same magnitude would be great.
[Thank's Cybereality as well.]

Been looking at Panasonic, Sharp and Sony. Find the Sharp a bit over priced. Panasonic is thre cheaper of the 3 but I've had a bad past with their electronics. Toshiba seems quite cheap but I hsaven't seen many good reviews either. I like Samsung but not sure on the LCD quality. Seen Vizio here and there [such as at Costco] but I wasn't sure if they are one of those brands you never heard of and unsureb if they'd be around ... Like when Kia cars first came out].
gisabun

Post by gisabun »

After poking around various sites, most consider VIZIO the best of the low end [generic/cheapo] names monitors and TVs.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

gisabun wrote:After poking around various sites, most consider VIZIO the best of the low end [generic/cheapo] names monitors and TVs.
Yeah, Vizio actually makes quality products. They might be cheap, but they are considered decent (at least compared to some serious no-name competitors). In 2009 they had the largest market share of HDTVs sales than any other company. So they are quickly making a name for themselves.

Return to “User Contributed Immersive Technology News & Announcements”