Why oh why don't.....

Gae43
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Why oh why don't.....

Post by Gae43 »

Why oh why don't the major studios release some of their 3D movies in formats other than just Blu Ray 3D?
OK, I know that it is all to do with making as much money as possible and protecting copyright, but surely, it would be in the interest of the companies to release, at least, their back catalogue of 3D movies, e.g "House of Wax" on something like a data disc. There must be quite a few people by now who have a 3D setup and would buy 3D movies that were viewable on their PC setup. I really do think that the powers that be are sitting on a goldmine here. Sadly though, they seem so blinkered towards selling 3D TVs and Blu-Ray 3Ds, i.e. the most expensive items, that I think they are missing out on a potential profitable area. Not everyone can, or wants to invest in a new 3D TV, but I'm sure there are many people, like me, who would buy 3D movies (on some kind of data disc) that could be watched on our current 3D set-up.

OK...rant over! :lol:

Gae43
BlackShark
Certif-Eyable!

Re: Why oh why don't.....

Post by BlackShark »

They do it because the pre-3DTV and pre-BluRay3D market is insignificant.
Moreover, it's badly organized, not standardized, and not plug-and-play.

Supporting it would only bring confusion to the new customers by introducing a format war. It would delay the adoption of 3D by the mass market.
Passive 3D forever !
DIY polarised dual-projector setup :
2x Epson EH-TW3500 (2D 1080p)
Xtrem Screen Daylight 2.0, for polarized 3D
3D Vision gaming with signal converter : VNS Geobox 501
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

yeah just wait for the .mkv files the isoRips are too cumbersome
Oculus Rift / 3d Sucks - 2D FTW!!!
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

We've been waiting so long for a standardization of 3D movies and now you want them to use incompatible formats ? Duh !

I'd be more than happy if they released old movies like "House of Wax" or "M for Murder" on Blu-Ray 3D. Nothing would prevent you from converting them to a PC-friendly format. And with Blu-Ray 3D you'd have the best possible image quality and the more efficient encoding scheme too (50% overhead only). I really see no reason to use another format.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Yeah, Blu-Ray 3D is now the standard. There is no reason for studios to support anything else. If you have a BD-drive on your PC you can output to a few different formats using Total Media Theater 3 or PowerDVD 10 (like Nvidia 3D Vision, HDMI 1.4, interlaced, checkerboard or anaglyph). If you need some odd legacy format, then you will have to rip the Blu-Ray yourself and convert to whatever format you need. There are a number of programs that will let you do that.

Return to “General Stereoscopic 3D Discussion”