SENSIO 3D format - can i use my standard DVD player...

Don't know the first thing about S-3D? Just bought your first pair of 3D glasses? Trying to figure out what to buy? Post HERE!
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

SENSIO 3D format - can i use my standard DVD player...

Post by ancjob »

Guys
i need help !
anyone tried SENSIO 3D formatted DVD ?
can it be played on standard DVD players ?
Since the format is side-by-side 3d - i guess i can use Vuzix Wrap series or AV920 to view the composite output...

Can anybody confirm the above?
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Re: SENSIO 3D format - can i use my standard DVD player...

Post by Likay »

I'm pretty certain it can not be played in a standard dvd-player since those at most plays divx and xvid as foreign codecs.
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

Likay wrote:I'm pretty certain it can not be played in a standard dvd-player since those at most plays divx and xvid as foreign codecs.
but i guess these will be hi-res VOBs [mpeg2] which any dvd player can play ...

i went to the sensio website but more clarity is needed for compatibility with stand. DVD player - only if someone 'd confirm..
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

I believe the SENSIO DVDs are just regular DVDs but in the SENSIO format. Meaning they should be compatible with any standard DVD player or computer. They are in the business of licensing the SENSIO decoder but you can easily just use side-by-side mode and get most of the quality.

Anyway, I decided to just buy a SENSIO DVD and try this out myself with the Vuzix Wrap310s. I am pretty sure it will work but if you want to wait a week, I can give you 100% confirmation.
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

cybereality wrote:I believe the SENSIO DVDs are just regular DVDs but in the SENSIO format. Meaning they should be compatible with any standard DVD player or computer. They are in the business of licensing the SENSIO decoder but you can easily just use side-by-side mode and get most of the quality.

Anyway, I decided to just buy a SENSIO DVD and try this out myself with the Vuzix Wrap310s. I am pretty sure it will work but if you want to wait a week, I can give you 100% confirmation.
yes pal please do that !
i have almost finalized av920 with one of the sellers for a brand new piece just for sensio 3d
as i get it's the best and ultimate 3d experiance at high res...
here's the NOT pricey but great to start with : http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... K:MEWAX:IT" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

it will be great if you try out sensio DVD on av310 and let me know the issues if encountered for all and sundry...
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Ok, my SENSIO DVD shipped. I ordered The Adventures of Sharkboy and Lavagirl (I know, I know), should be here in a few days.
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

cybereality wrote:Ok, my SENSIO DVD shipped. I ordered The Adventures of Sharkboy and Lavagirl (I know, I know), should be here in a few days.
By the way - i will be ordering AV920 soon only for Sensio playability..
it has all 3D format support - usb powered with 32 FOV
any thing above 32FOV - in my experiance starins the eye like watching a 'real' big TV too close..
i sincerely think that it will be decent purchase...

had the wrap 920 been usb powered - i'd have preferred that as well over av920...
Why did they discontinue AV920 is beyond my understanding...?

i will wait for the good news that it played well on your 310 without issues...
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Yeah, the AV920 should be a good choice. Just make sure to pick up the "light-shield". It helps. Also, I am not sure why they discontinued the product. They also had some other iWear headsets in the AV line that they also discontinued (AV310, etc.). I think they are just trying to focus on the Wrap line now. I will let you know about compatibility with the SENSIO DVDs.
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

cybereality wrote: I will let you know about compatibility with the SENSIO DVDs.
yes - i will be ardently waiting for the good news
DmitryKo
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by DmitryKo »

AFAIK, Sensio streo 3D format is a half-res "side-by-side with checkerboard", a "frame-compatible" format, so you cannot play it on a standard standalone DVD player which is not aware of the encoding; you need a software stereoscopic player for the PC to play it in either monoscopic or stereoscopic mode.

OTOH, TDVision's extensions for MPEG-2 use a "2D+delta" format and do allow older players to skip stereo 3D information; a similar approach has been recently standardized in Multiview Video Coding extensions for MPEG-4 AVC/H.264, which are the basis for Blu-ray 3D.
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

DmitryKo wrote:AFAIK, Sensio streo 3D format is a half-res "side-by-side with checkerboard", a "frame-compatible" format, so you cannot play it on a standard standalone DVD player which is not aware of the encoding; you need a software stereoscopic player for the PC to play it in either monoscopic or stereoscopic mode.

OTOH, TDVision's extensions for MPEG-2 use a "2D+delta" format and do allow older players to skip stereo 3D information; a similar approach has been recently standardized in Multiview Video Coding extensions for MPEG-4 AVC/H.264, which are the basis for Blu-ray 3D.
pal - you scare me ..
let's see what cybereality has in store for us...
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

I think DmitryKo is right. Even if the dvd plays side-by-side without problems it most probably won't handle the sensio compression. :(
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Well I got the SENSIO DVD today. I can confirm that it *does* indeed work on a standard DVD player. Its just a normal MPEG2 encoded DVD, simply in the side-by-side / checkerboard format. There is no such thing as a "SENSIO DVD Player", the system is designed to work with regular DVD players. You can even look on their website if you don't believe me:
Designed to work with conventional DVD players as well as CRT, LCD and DLP front projectors, the Sensio® 3D processor is a high-performance product that combines the following:
http://www.sensio.tv/en/home_theater/S3D_100/default.3d" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The idea is that you would use their S3D-100 processor (or a TV with a SENSIO chip if those ever came out) and you would feed the signal from a normal DVD player. Then the processor would take that side-by-side / checkerboard signal and convert that into a full-frame page-flipped output. In order to preserve the encoding you need to have a DVD player that outputs on component, and turn off any progressive-scan features. However if you just want to use the side-by-side format without their overpriced processor (for example with a modern 3D HDTV or an HMD) then this is not necessary. You can output on composite and it will work just as well. Of course you lose SENSIO's proprietary interpolation but honestly I doubt the difference is even noticeable.

I watched most of the movie on the Vuzix Wrap 310 in 3D side-by-side parallel mode. The 3D effects looked decent. Nothing spectacular, but it was a nice effect. Obviously there was no ghosting. It gave the 3D a very solid look. I tried to play the DVD on my computer but it didn't work. Although the Stereoscopic Player is supposed to support SENSIO DVDs, it was giving me an error when I tried to play it. Not sure what that was about. It did work with other video players, like PowerDVD, but then I couldn't watch it in 3D on my Zalman monitor. Disappointing, but what can you do? Anyway, the SENSIO DVD did play on my stand-alone DVD player and worked perfectly fine with the Wrap 310. I imagine it should also work on the AV920 as well, but I can't guarantee that without having the hardware on hand. Still, there is a good chance it will work. Hope that helps.
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

cybereality wrote:Well I got the SENSIO DVD today. I can confirm that it *does* indeed work on a standard DVD player. Its just a normal MPEG2 encoded DVD, simply in the side-by-side / checkerboard

I watched most of the movie on the Vuzix Wrap 310 in 3D side-by-side parallel mode. The 3D effects looked decent. Nothing spectacular, but it was a nice effect. Obviously there was no ghosting. It gave the 3D a very solid look. I tried to play the DVD on my computer but it didn't work. Although the Stereoscopic Player is supposed to support SENSIO DVDs, it was giving me an error when I tried to play it. Not sure what that was about. It did work with other video players, like PowerDVD, but then I couldn't watch it in 3D on my Zalman monitor. Disappointing, but what can you do? Anyway, the SENSIO DVD did play on my stand-alone DVD player and worked perfectly fine with the Wrap 310. I imagine it should also work on the AV920 as well, but I can't guarantee that without having the hardware on hand. Still, there is a good chance it will work. Hope that helps.
Great!
thank you cybereality - i owe you a drink :D for this...
Since it worked with wrap 310 then i am pretty sure it will work on AV920 also..
i got AV920 shipped out today - so will be another week before i get it
i will try sensio DVDs then
they have around 9-10 titles to choose from..nice way to build up 3D collection
also if anyone interested for 3d here's - http://ultimate3dheaven.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and they sell 3D collections quite economically...i like their pick any 10 3d DVDs here : http://ultimate3dheaven.com/10dvd3dpopa.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

hope this helps..
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

Thanks for clarifying. I always thought sensio also included a compressionalgorithm with the side-by-side format. I knew you can play it in a dvd-player but never thought you would get a viewable image from it. Well, it's never too late to learn. :lol:
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Likay wrote:Thanks for clarifying. I always thought sensio also included a compressionalgorithm with the side-by-side format. I knew you can play it in a dvd-player but never thought you would get a viewable image from it. Well, it's never too late to learn. :lol:
Yeah, no problem. I mean, until a few days ago I had no idea either. Its crazy how long you can be into this 3D stuff and its just as confusing as ever!
DmitryKo
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by DmitryKo »

cybereality wrote:Well I got the SENSIO DVD today. I can confirm that it *does* indeed work on a standard DVD player. Its just a normal MPEG2 encoded DVD, simply in the side-by-side / checkerboard format.

The idea is that you would use their S3D-100 processor (or a TV with a SENSIO chip if those ever came out) and you would feed the signal from a normal DVD player. ... However if you just want to use the side-by-side format without their overpriced processor (for example with a modern 3D HDTV or an HMD) then this is not necessary.
Interesting take.

However what's the use of using a modern high-definition TV to watch interlaced half-res, standard definition interlaced 3D video content which has been interpolated in a non-optimal way? The quality is probably way below what's possible with progressive hi-def sources like Blu-ray 3D or video games.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

DmitryKo wrote:However what's the use of using a modern high-definition TV to watch interlaced half-res, standard definition interlaced 3D video content which has been interpolated in a non-optimal way? The quality is probably way below what's possible with progressive hi-def sources like Blu-ray 3D or video games.
Oh yes, the quality does not hold a candle to Blu-Ray 3D but, with the severe lack of 3D video content, you can't be too picky.
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

cybereality wrote:
DmitryKo wrote:However what's the use of using a modern high-definition TV to watch interlaced half-res, standard definition interlaced 3D video content which has been interpolated in a non-optimal way? The quality is probably way below what's possible with progressive hi-def sources like Blu-ray 3D or video games.
Oh yes, the quality does not hold a candle to Blu-Ray 3D but, with the severe lack of 3D video content, you can't be too picky.

pal - what's the use now when AV920 cannot do a decent 3D...

All hopes on Cinemizer OLED - let's see

Return to “I'm New To Stereoscopic 3D!”