How safe is it to use the optics from a binocular with a tv?

smoothy
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

How safe is it to use the optics from a binocular with a tv?

Post by smoothy »

If I was to look at a PC monitor very closely for long periods of time using a pair of binoculars, would that be safe for your eyes?

There are many binoculars on the market which are very affordable, even toy binoculars are good that not only magnify the image greatly but seems to fill your field of vision. Couldn't we take out the optics and use them in a HMD?
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Re: How safe is it to use the optics from a binocular with a

Post by Likay »

It's safe, maybe not comfortable. And yes. I believe some of the optics can be used for a hmd (the lenses may not be optimal though). Remember that you may use both lenses in the binocular to achieve a better image. A pair of cheap ones (ie toybins) will give quite a few configurations so if you're into hmd's it's definitely worth a try.
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

If you are looking to magnify a monitor you might want to take a look at fresnel lenses. They can give a really immersive experience.
smoothy
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by smoothy »

Many thanks for your replies guys,

After doing some reading at vrtifacts.com about leep optics on the cheap. It got me thinking, it shows how you can make some optics to give a field of view of nearly 90 degrees diagonal. So I started thinking about binoculars. I also have been thinking whether it's possible to use 2 pico projectors the type that doesn't use a lens so that it doesn't need focusing like the show wx from microvision. Then mount them on top of each other. One upside down so the lasers from each device get close to one another. Then get some circular polarized glasses. Create a HMD plastic shell, or get a trimersion and remove all the components. Then beam the lasers onto a curved perspex lens that wraps around my eyes. Then use a fresnel lens that sits a few inches in front of the perspex lens and then the LEEP on the cheap optics. You then wear the polarized glasses. This coupled with 6DOF tracker and a microphone. Would be incredible, even though the optics give you 90 DOF. I wonder if because of the curved perspex lens and fresnel lens you may actually get a lot more, like 140 or 180 DOF. Is it possible to get curved fresnel lenses?
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Yeah, I have thought about building a similar contraption but the practicality of it made me think otherwise. Might be fun as an experiment though.

Return to “General Stereoscopic 3D Discussion”