Looking for a decent HMD

Don't know the first thing about S-3D? Just bought your first pair of 3D glasses? Trying to figure out what to buy? Post HERE!
NITRO1250
Two Eyed Hopeful

Looking for a decent HMD

Post by NITRO1250 »

Hello everyone! It has been ages since I last logged in and I see some of the older members are still around. Greetz guys!

Anyway, given my research area that I am working on, I need an HMD. It isn't for stereo, but for mono. However, if I am getting an HMD, I might as well get one that is decent for stereo after my thesis project is complete.

After doing some light digging, I managed to find this piece of hardware: http://www.vuzix.com/consumer/products_vr920.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; The good point of the hardware is you can attach a 1.3MP webcam to it for doing augmented reality (what I am working on).

Would anyone have any suggestions for other hardware vendors to look into? I'd rather not spend more than 3 digits.

Thanks for any input!
QX6700 ~ ASUS Striker Extreme mobo ~ 4GB GSkill RAM DDR800 ~ eVGA GeForce 8800GTX SC Ed. ~ 850W PSU ~ 3TB HDD Space ~ ED Glasses+Anaglyph
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Looking for a decent HMD

Post by cybereality »

Well the VR920 ain't a bad kit. I mean, its not amazing or anything but it will do what you need on a basic level. The price is nice, and it also has the benefit of working with the IZ3D drivers for stereo gaming. Its not so great for navigating Windows (since text is hard to read) but you can get around at 800x600. It does support up to 1024x768 but I would only use this for video playback, gaming and/or VR/AR applications. Either way it downscales to 640x480 but it looks decent enough. The virtual screen size, however, is rather small and not nearly as immersive as you would want it to be. However for the price range it doesn't get much better than this. You can also try PMing "PalmerTech" and see if he can build you a custom unit. He mods HMDs and has built a number of mono headsets with very high FOV. If you don't need stereo, this might be an option.
NITRO1250
Two Eyed Hopeful

Re: Looking for a decent HMD

Post by NITRO1250 »

Found one @ 800x600 resolution. Just a smidge more than my budget, but I'll swing for it if the quality is good.

http://www.amazon.com/Virtual-Visor-800 ... 759&sr=8-4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
QX6700 ~ ASUS Striker Extreme mobo ~ 4GB GSkill RAM DDR800 ~ eVGA GeForce 8800GTX SC Ed. ~ 850W PSU ~ 3TB HDD Space ~ ED Glasses+Anaglyph

Return to “I'm New To Stereoscopic 3D!”