DisplaySearch: consumers playing a 'wait and see' game

Find a good article? Got a news story to share? VR, AR, 3D...it's all good! No self promotion please.
Silversurfer
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

DisplaySearch: consumers playing a 'wait and see' game

Post by Silversurfer »

We've mixed feelings on 3D as a whole, and it seems that the vast majority of consumers do as well. We've seen quite a few lovely implementations, and there's hardly a better way to watch sports away from the field, but those dreaded 3D glasses are likely keeping most people an arm's length away. According to a new report from DisplaySearch, 3DTVs will make up just two percent of all flat panels shipped in 2010. Paul Gray, Director of TV Electronics Research, noted that "while TV manufacturers have bold plans and a lot of new products, consumers remain cautious," continuing by stating that "consumers have been told that 3D TV is the future, but there still remains a huge price jump and little 3D content to watch." In particular, "North American consumers appear to be playing a waiting game," and in Western Europe, the sales of 3D glasses to sets has failed to hit 1:1. That said, the report feels rather strongly about the future, noting that 90 million 3DTV sets are expected to ship in 2014. Of course, if we've only got two or three 2D options to choose from by then, the estimated skyrocketing makes a lot more sense...

source:DisplaySearch

http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/13/disp ... with-3dtv/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Got a release or 3D news story to share? Email press@mtbs3D.com, and we'll put it up!

Silversurfer
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Re: DisplaySearch: consumers playing a 'wait and see' game

Post by Silversurfer »

firm but fair from a supposedly unbiased source, displaysearch [includes press release]
Got a release or 3D news story to share? Email press@mtbs3D.com, and we'll put it up!

cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Hey, 2014 ain't that far away. Lets just hope we all don't die in 2012.
android78
Certif-Eyable!

Post by android78 »

cybereality wrote:Hey, 2014 ain't that far away. Lets just hope we all don't die in 2012.
Yep, I plan on living more then another 4 years. If you look at the lack of progress in the last 20 years (I think I saw the first 3d Gaming solutions for about 1990), 4 years to get a decent market penetration is reasonable.
It's so tempting to get the new samsung 58" plasma, but I'd like to see what the LG passive displays turn out like first, I think.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

android78 wrote: It's so tempting to get the new samsung 58" plasma, but I'd like to see what the LG passive displays turn out like first, I think.
I know RealD is working to integrate their Z-Screen polarization modulator into 3D HDTVs. So in maybe another year or two there will be full resolution passive displays. They will probably cost an arm and a leg when they first come out, though.
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

Why you want passive so bad? R you running a pub?

BTW I have a good idea how to make a screen for polarization modulator + dlp , or double projectors for that sake, occured to me today.

Let's wait what Likay says. :mrgreen:
-Biased for 0 Gen HMD's to hell and back must be one hundred percent hell bent bias!
android78
Certif-Eyable!

Post by android78 »

tritosine wrote:Why you want passive so bad? R you running a pub?
It's not so much that I want a passive solution, but I'd like to see how well they work before deciding which way to go.
I think it a little crazy to be baying $150 per pair of glasses... Having 4 mates over and you're up for an extra $600.
If the passive turns out to be worse then the plasma, in a noticeable way, I think I'll probably buy a plasma. Just like to see the option available first.
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

android78 wrote:
tritosine wrote:Why you want passive so bad? R you running a pub?
It's not so much that I want a passive solution, but I'd like to see how well they work before deciding which way to go.
I think it a little crazy to be baying $150 per pair of glasses... Having 4 mates over and you're up for an extra $600.
If the passive turns out to be worse then the plasma, in a noticeable way, I think I'll probably buy a plasma. Just like to see the option available first.
cheapo DLP link glasses are 1/3 of that price.
Anyway, I just read how they minimize ghosting with plasma = shorter hold time. Since it was already 4ms, (a 120hz frame is 8.3ms) , that means its goin to get dimmer more and more, and you are blinded to both eyes more and more.

I guess Pioneer had a reason stopping with PDP. :P
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1283907" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-Biased for 0 Gen HMD's to hell and back must be one hundred percent hell bent bias!

Return to “User Contributed Immersive Technology News & Announcements”