CRT

Post by bbraad »

*New to 3D
Can you watch 3D blu rays on any crt monitors
wuhlei
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Re: CRT

Post by wuhlei »

shutter glasses were meant for crt but I don't know about finding working drivers for vista or windows 7. I know IZ3D supports it but there are sync issues I think?
Albert Einstein
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination."
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Getting 3D BluRay working on a CRT might be difficult, but I think its possible. Using a standalone 3D BluRay player (or a PS3) wouldn't work because it requires an HDMI 1.4 compatible HDTV. So the only thing I could see would be a PC using BluRay playback software. Something like say PowerDVD 10. However it only supports a select number of output options, like Nvidia 3D Vision 120Hz LCDs, row-interleaved and checkerboard. It may be possible to use the Nvidia 3D Vision mode with a CRT in 120Hz but I am not sure about this. Last I heard Nvidia dropped CRT support. Probably your best bet is to try the interlace (row-interleaved) mode. If you have a good set of shutterglasses they will have a hardware line-blanker built in to the dongle. I know the AnotherEye2000 had this and I believe the E-Dimensional glasses also have this feature. Using the "line-blanking" mode on the dongle will convert an interlaced signal into a proper page-flipping output needed for the glasses. In theory, it should work, but its hard to say without having tested the software.
wuhlei
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by wuhlei »

What do you mean nvidia dropped crt support and how are people using shutter glasses with lcd?
Albert Einstein
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination."
DmitryKo
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by DmitryKo »

Nvidia 3D Vision does support 100 Hz CRT displays, they never dropped it. This however requires Vista/7 and an Nvidia card.

Be aware that stupid content protection system in Windows Vista/7 enforced by movie studios will not allow showing high-definition video content on a display without HDCP support, so Blu-ray 3D probably won't even work on a CRT.

For ATI, iZ3D drivers support blue line code shutter glasses connected to analog VGA, and Blu-ray 3D player software should support "quad-buffered" output of AMD/ATI drivers in the future. This will probably only work in XP because of the above DRM restrictions.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

HDCP is only active on digital connections (DVI, HDMI). You can still use analog (VGA) and it will work without HDCP.
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

And since HDCP has been cracked with the master key being revealed last month, it hopefully won't be a problem in the future to read Blu-Ray discs on unauthorized materials anymore...
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Fredz wrote:And since HDCP has been cracked with the master key being revealed last month, it hopefully won't be a problem in the future to read Blu-Ray discs on unauthorized materials anymore...
It wasn't a problem before that. AnyDVD HD has been out for a while, and allows you to circumvent these HDCP restrictions.
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

Sure, but now the master key can be integrated in any stereo movie player.
DmitryKo
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by DmitryKo »

cybereality wrote:HDCP is only active on digital connections (DVI, HDMI). You can still use analog (VGA) and it will work without HDCP.
Well, OK then. :)
Fredz wrote:And since HDCP has been cracked with the master key being revealed last month, it hopefully won't be a problem in the future to read Blu-Ray discs on unauthorized materials anymore... now the master key can be integrated in any stereo movie player.
HDCP doesn't have anything to do with Blue-ray video format and its content protection system.

HDCP is used in the display link, so cracking it would allow you to circuimvent hardware protection by capturing the uncompressed video data stream from a legitimate playback device. However in order to capture this uncompressed video data, you should have access to the original compressed content in the first place.

Blu-ray uses AACS protection which to date has not been cracked as far as to reveal the master key. A few individual decoding keys were successfully extracted, however these keys are invalidated in subsequent releases of new content and cannot be used to decode the new discs.
Last edited by DmitryKo on Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

DmitryKo wrote:HDCP doesn't have anything to do with Blue-ray video format and its content protection system.
I didn't say that HDCP was involved in Blu-Ray video format protection, I only said that it prevented a signal coming from a Blu-Ray source to be displayed on an unauthorized (non HDCP compliant) display.
DmitryKo wrote:HDCP is used in the display link, so cracking it would allow you to circuimvent hardware protection by capturing the uncompressed video data stream from a legitimate playback device. However in order to play this uncompressed data in the first place, you should have access to the original compressed content in the first place.
Sure, you still need to have a signal before you can transmit it over an HDCP link, I was just saying that you can now transmit such a signal to an unauthorized device using a PC. It has already been demonstrated some weeks ago, and the code is freely available for anyone wanting to integrate it in their player.

Return to “General Stereoscopic 3D Discussion”