Help! Optoma 3D READY projector and Optoma shutter classes.

Don't know the first thing about S-3D? Just bought your first pair of 3D glasses? Trying to figure out what to buy? Post HERE!
Aaron
One Eyed Hopeful

Help! Optoma 3D READY projector and Optoma shutter classes.

Post by Aaron »

Hi all.

I have just purchased the Optoma 3D ready DLP projector and Optoma shutter glasses thinking i could just wack in the Avitar game in my playstation 3 and see some 3D action... but its not working. :(

I have downloaded the latest firmware for the playstation which enables 3d stereoscopic's and have been through all the settings trying each 3d output including chequerboard, which is the one i am guessing i should be using. The shutter glasses are not flashing when i switch them on and look at the screen, i'm getting no 3D effect. I have selected the 3d mode on my projector.

Also i have tried hooking the projector up to my pc and playing a side by side (LR) 3D file through it and get what i presume is a 3D film on the screen but use the shutter glasses and cannot see 3D effect through them. I have two pairs of these glasses and have tried them both.

Anyone have any idea's of what could be wrong

Would be greatful for any suggestion/help.

Aaron
Last edited by Aaron on Sun May 30, 2010 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BlackShark
Certif-Eyable!

Re: Help! Optoma 3D READY projector and Optoma shutter class

Post by BlackShark »

Hi,
You are in bad luck. The current optoma projectors, like almost all the other DLP-link projectors need to be fed with their native 3D image format only which is frame alternate 720p at 120Hz.
This is a format that is not supported by the PS3, your PS3 games will never work with this projector.

This format is notoriously difficult to support.
At the moment only Nvidia 3D vision drivers knows how to support it, unfortunately Nvidia locked it out until they finish a profile for these projectors... which means it isn't supported.
iZ3D is currently trying to support it in their latest beta drivers under the "120Hz projectors" output. But it's really beta and unstable. You can still give it a try though and report your bugs to the iZ3D team so that they can try and improve it.
You also won't be able to play Avatar the game even on PC, unless Ubisoft patches the game, which is highly unlikely.

Apart from that, you can consider yourself officially stuck, and you can blame Texas Instrument for introducing this confusing and unsupported 3D format in all it's DLP chips.
Passive 3D forever !
DIY polarised dual-projector setup :
2x Epson EH-TW3500 (2D 1080p)
Xtrem Screen Daylight 2.0, for polarized 3D
3D Vision gaming with signal converter : VNS Geobox 501
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Which model is it exactly? You may be able to hack support with the Nvidia 3D Vision glasses:
http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.p ... 299#p42299" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Otherwise Blackshack is correct that the projector is pretty bad when it comes to support. But hopefully iz3d will be supporting it in the near future.
Aaron
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Aaron »

Hey... thanks guys for your thoughts.

cybereality, the model i have is : DW318
Have looked at your link and seem to remember reading my model is the European model of the HD66 or maybe the model below it.
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

Are you serious ps3 wont work with these? What 3d does ps3 support at all??

Guy with the optoma, just get another and go for polarizers. 120hz needs very serious setting to give it a go imho. 60hz looks best on these pj's .
-Biased for 0 Gen HMD's to hell and back must be one hundred percent hell bent bias!
BlackShark
Certif-Eyable!

Post by BlackShark »

The PS3 can support anything that is :
-> single output
-> contained within a 1280x720x60fps or 1920x1080x60fps picture
-> self synching

Sony's Firmware only provides support for Hdmi frame packing 2x1080px24fps and 2x720px50/60fps
Other formats have been shown working require the game developers to implement them themselves : Checkerboard, Line interlacing, Side by Side, combinations of the above (RealD and Sensio formats) or anaglyph.
You could also have Blue Line code, column interlacing and over/under but so far no developer implemented it.
Passive 3D forever !
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

The PS3 3D which is coming (not legacy 3D like the Avatar game) works via HDMI 1.4. This means it is compatible with 2010 series 3D HDTVs like the Panasonic VT20. I don't believe there are any projectors at the moment which support PS3 3D (or standalone BluRay 3D players for that matter).
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

Guys I think there will be chinese dongles with an FPGA which will happily do this for around 150 usd.
-Biased for 0 Gen HMD's to hell and back must be one hundred percent hell bent bias!
BlackShark
Certif-Eyable!

Post by BlackShark »

Tell us when it's released then
Passive 3D forever !
MeNaCe183
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by MeNaCe183 »

I know there is away to achieve 3d using ps3 on a 3d ready projector as long as it has hdmi and what brings me to that conclusion is this (sorry for all the info but u have to read all of it)

alright first off you have to use either XpanD's X102 or X103(soon to be released) glasses both of the these glasses are dlp link enabled which means there compatible with both 3d ready dlp tv's and 3d ready projectors and not only that i saw couple different videos from XpanD that explained that are compatible with Nvidia 3d vision also. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foYT7ULqdfg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; if you watch this demonstration around 2:10 they have a 3d ready projector attached to a xbox 360 displaying Avatar the game in 3D you can tell the 3d is enable because the double images and when i first saw this it threw me because i had no idea 360 had 3D capabilities but now that i've read other articles 360 is capable (http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/109/1097427p1.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) so PS3 has to be, not only that hdmi 1.4 is not required to run 3d practically you cannot achieve 1080p 3d, using hdmi 1.3 you can only achieve 720p but who cares it still 3D. I've also read people who have the 2010 3d ready tv's that downloaded the firmware also had difficulty with the settings, come to find out you have to download the firmware and than go to video settings to choose 3D and also enable the 3d in the game menu. heres a guide http://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?su ... 1276274018" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; . I plan on buying the viewsonic pjd6531w projector sometime soon to try it but until than keep trying guys it does work and this is how i know. http://boardsus.playstation.com/t5/Play ... p/44661459" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. If a guy can get the 3d to work on dlp tv using 3d vision glasses than it can work on a dlp projector. One more thing visit 3dvision-blog.com everyday they know everything when it comes to 3D. hope this helped
Aaron
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Aaron »

Update....

I have finally got my Optoma 3d projector working in 3d! :D

At present i have only found a couple of films which will work. You can down load them from this torrent site ( 3d movie collection) : http://search.utorrent.com/search.php?q ... ihq%3d&u=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You need to make sure the 3d setting in the menu is on and if you have the projector mounted on the ceiling also select 3d inverted.

As i have said in other posts i am using a playstation 3 to play the films via a USB memory stick. Also Opoma active shutter glasses.

I have tried the new 3D Blueray format on this setup and it does not work, maybe because i have a fast HDMI cable conected to the projector and not HDMI 1.4, If not then the new 3.50 firmware update does not suport Optoma projectors at this time.

Hope this is of help.

Aaron

Return to “I'm New To Stereoscopic 3D!”