Vuzix Wrap 920 and 310 Available NOW!

Find a good article? Got a news story to share? VR, AR, 3D...it's all good! No self promotion please.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Vuzix Wrap 920 and 310 Available NOW!

Post by cybereality »

Looks like the Vuzix Wrap 920 and Wrap 310 are now available for purchase:
http://www.vuzix.com/iwear/products_wrap920.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.vuzix.com/iwear/products_wrap310.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The 310 sells for $250, however it is only at 428 x 240, while the 920 has dual 640 x 480 screens like the VR920. Both units include independent diopter adjustments so they can be worn without prescription glasses (huge feature for someone like me who wears glasses). They also come included with an iPhone/iPod cable. I am really curious to how these things look in real life and I think I am going to go with the Wrap 920. I already have the VR920 (which I don't use much), but this new model looks cool for mobile applications like on the iPhone. I could definitely see sitting on the train and watching a movie with one of these. Could be really cool for AR applications as well. The price is reasonable.

Anybody else excited for this kit?
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Re: Vuzix Wrap 920 and 310 Available NOW!

Post by yuriythebest »

yeah they look nice, but even if I had the money I wouldn't settle for anything less than 1280*1024 per eye and seems that this class of (non ridiculously priced) HMD's is a loooong way away. mainly due to the optics I think
Oculus Rift / 3d Sucks - 2D FTW!!!
Freke1
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Freke1 »

Zeiss has made one for the iPhone:
http://www.zeiss.com/cinemizer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
YouTube video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYjfoRIHYPc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I wouldn't mind buying a HMD but they don't really work do they...?
(i mean IRL every day gaming etc. - more like something to try for half a day?)
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Yeah, the specs are still on the low-end, but for a mobile device its totally acceptable. Keep in mind that most people will probably want to use this with the iPhone and that only supports 320 x 480 anyway. Most other portable devices are at that resolution or even lower. So 640 x 480 seems to be enough. I don't think it was designed for PC gaming as that place is already taken by the VR920 (and upcoming VR1440). I'll probably buy one if only to support Vuzix long enough for them to bring out a proper high-end model.
Okta
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by Okta »

What a piece of crap! You heard it here first.
"I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."
Notch on the FaceDisgrace buyout.
b39ppr
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by b39ppr »

Just bougth VR920 + CamAR recently for an AR project (Video see-trough).
They work quiet well.
I wonder if optical see-trough with this Wrap 920 would be better.
Anyone knows this Wrap 920 work with VGA signal from PC?
genetic
Cross Eyed!

Post by genetic »

Freke1 wrote:

i used my Z800 for a 12 hr geek day just yesterday. and I use it for all of my gaming other than a few popcap games. I avg about 12 hrs a week of HMD. But last week I probably got in about 20 hrs.

I will never go back to a monitor. I only hope that something comes out better than the Z800 in the next few years.

It works great. Nvida and thier poor missuse of drivers is the part that makes it a pain.

I wouldnt use these Vuzix thing as they are way behind the Z800 specs. A shame that TD visor never made it.

Oh, and for whatever reason, 800x600 on the visor looks a lot better than 800x600 on your monitor. I cant explain it but it is true. To my eyes anyway.
Okta

Post by Okta »

genetic wrote:
Freke1 wrote:

i used my Z800 for a 12 hr geek day just yesterday. and I use it for all of my gaming other than a few popcap games. I avg about 12 hrs a week of HMD. But last week I probably got in about 20 hrs.

I will never go back to a monitor. I only hope that something comes out better than the Z800 in the next few years.

It works great. Nvida and thier poor missuse of drivers is the part that makes it a pain.

I wouldnt use these Vuzix thing as they are way behind the Z800 specs. A shame that TD visor never made it.

Oh, and for whatever reason, 800x600 on the visor looks a lot better than 800x600 on your monitor. I cant explain it but it is true. To my eyes anyway.
Im gonna bug you for some of your wii scripts when i have some time to play :)
"I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."
wuhlei
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by wuhlei »

my monitor with 16bit looks like it has 2x more colors then the vr920 in 32bit i hope they changed that and look at the screen size I think the wrap920 has an even smaller screen then the vr920.

wrap920
Equivalent to a 67-inch screen as viewed from ten feet (approximately 3 m)
Twin high-resolution 640 x 480 LCD displays
60Hz progressive scan update rate
Ultra-low video distortion
31 degree diagonal field of view
24-bit true color (16 million colors)
Independent +2 to -5 diopter focus adjustment
Weighs less than three ounces
vr920
Twin high-resolution 640x480 (920,000 pixels) LCD displays
Equivalent to a 62” screen viewed at 9 feet
24-bit true color (16 million colors)
Visor weighs 3.2 ounces
60 Hz progressive scan display update rates
Fully iWear® 3D compliant and supports NVIDIA stereo drivers
Built-in noise-canceling microphone for internet VOIP communications
Built-in 3 degree of freedom head-tracker
USB connectivity for power, tracking and full duplex audio
Analog VGA monitor input
Support for up to 1024x768 VGA video formats
Windows XP & Vista (32-bit & 64-bit) compatible**
yuriythebest wrote: yeah they look nice, but even if I had the money I wouldn't settle for anything less than 1280*1024 per eye and seems that this class of (non ridiculously priced) HMD's is a loooong way away. mainly due to the optics I think
Geez can you play games at full quality with the resolution that high in stereo?
Albert Einstein
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination."
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

wuhlei wrote: Geez can you play games at full quality with the resolution that high in stereo?

UT3 runs smooth as butter on the iz3d at 1680*1050 in stereo, trine runs fine as well, haven't tested more games since I just got my 4870 1GB- though the 5870 is already 1.6 times faster so yeah, 1280*1024 is the absolute minimum. The human eye is estimated at 75 megapixels
http://www.clarkvision.com/imagedetail/ ... ution.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

However, to be fair, I don't know the "full story" since I haven't had the privilege of using a vuzix - maybe it's better than I think.
Freke1
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Freke1 »

yuriythebest wrote:The human eye is estimated at 75 megapixels
http://www.clarkvision.com/imagedetail/ ... ution.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
interesting link!
So to match the human eye resolution there should be pixel spacing: 0.005 degree.
On a monitor filling 90 degree of view this means 18.000 pixels horizontally, and with 16:9 Aspect ratio this is 10125 pixels vertically giving an image of 182,25 Mega pixel.
HD (1.920*1.080 resolution) falls short of the eye capable of seeing 18.000*10.125, so we need roughly a 100*HD camera and 100*HD monitor to match nature. Nice to know we are still messing about in the lower resolutions - look there's a pixel :woot
Seems like the human eye has a 22mm lens - quite wide angle.
Correct me if I'm wrong (not sure I understood everything in article - he talks about arcminutes WTF! - we are not crossing the Atlantic FFS!).
Anyway I can see the pixels quite clearly on my new display hence the interest.
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

Freke1 wrote:so we need roughly a 100*HD camera and 100*HD monitor to match .
yeah. on a true high res display the pixels should only be viewable through a microscope. sounds impossible now but then again computer chips are just as "impossible" - give it 50-200 years and we'll get there if humanity won't be extinct or living primarily in shanti towns and facing starvation
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

Not usb-powered -wrap 920 looses first instance-even Chinese ones are usb powered!
Mixed reviews - good 50% bad 50% - makes Vuzix a game of chance - better to try before one buys
VGA resolution - not sufficient..
I think the technology is still not here yet to have big screens with perfect image clarity as that of true-color LCDs...

So wait another 10-20 yrs ..

by the way has anybody I-cine hi-res from Virtual realities Inc http://www.vrealities.com/i-cinehr.html

decent specs..
Features:

Unique optics design for safe and comfortable use
Auto change between NTSC/PAL signals
Integrated stereo earbuds
Can be used while wearing prescription eyewear
Direct connection to iPod Video, iPod touch or iPhone 3G - just plug and play
Compatible with devices with an AV output such as Cable Boxes, DVD players, etc...
Works with PlayStation3, Xbox 360 and Nintendo Wii
Battery can be FULLY charged within 2 hours via USB

Specifications:

Resolution: 800 x 600
Virtual Image Size: 80" at 5'
Field of View: 35 degrees
Input Signal: NTSC/PAL Video
IPD Adjustments: None Required
Eye Relief: 25MM
Weight: 2.0 oz.

wait to hear from you guys regd, the above...
Okta

Post by Okta »

Sounds like another POS just like the wrap.
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

Okta wrote:Sounds like another POS just like the wrap.
==========================
well i tried the i-cine hi-res from virtual realities inc - my friend had imported it thru amazon usa
AS 2D monoscopic HMD - it's the best for watching movies from dvd players!
if they had made image a little more sharper than it' d have been the 100% substitute for 80'' LCD Tv - still extremely good for what it does ...

cons
1) NOT 3D
2) No IPD & focus adjustments
3) ONLY brightness/volume adjustable

hope this helps
Last edited by ancjob on Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

You know I actually found a good use for my Wrap 310: watching anime while riding on my exercise bike. It makes the time go by so fast.
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

cybereality wrote:
You know I actually found a good use for my Wrap 310: watching anime while riding on my exercise bike. It makes the time go by so fast.
you 'd get this idea patented - no harm with dollars roll'in in :D hehehe

Return to “User Contributed Immersive Technology News & Announcements”