iZ3D Reviewed by fpslabs.com

Mong
One Eyed Hopeful

iZ3D Reviewed by fpslabs.com

Post by Mong »

Check this iZ3D review out dated on 12-9-07: http://www.fpslabs.com/reviews/monitors/iz3d-22-review

What are your thoughts on the reviewers pros and cons? I think imo that the ghosting issue will be completely resolved in future driver updates.

As I like to say "If the price is high it's worth a try!" 8)
Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by Neil »

I've been reading and viewing a lot of reviews of iZ3D online, and for me, the most distressing aspect is how the review is done. What I say here goes for ALL solutions, not just iZ3D.

I've read some reviews that complain about very slow speed on clearly out of date graphics cards. Even more concerning are completely false descriptions of how stereoscopic 3D works in gaming. People think that just separating the screen will create a good 3D effect, when they have no concept of the relationship between separation and convergence. This false understanding of S-3D and how to use stereo drivers greatly contributes to poor reviews. I saw a video clip, which I won't post here, with an iZ3D monitor on review display running a 3D demo of something I know firsthand does not work properly in S-3D!

When I was at CES, even the Zalman monitors were not properly set up. I'm sure the sales reps adjusted them properly, but as users played with the hot keys, the sweet spot was clearly thrown out of whack, and who knows what people thought when they left the booth.

I'm going to need a little time, but I think the manufacturers should adopt a reviewer education program whereby all reviewers must go here first, learn how to run the drivers properly, and then go through the review process. Without understanding basic stereoscopic concepts, the reviews will not be based on anything useful, and that's a big gamble when the industry is depending on the success and positive word for these exciting technologies.

Regards,
Neil

EDIT: I'm not saying this interview was badly done. I'm just speaking in general.
Mong
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Mong »

Well said Neil, and poor reviews such as this equals poor feedback from anyone who reads them...just read the peoples comments.

Another thing that bothers me is all the talk about the price tag($999.00). Remember the original price tag!? And yet people seem to judge a certain product on the amount of dollars involved.

Well this monitor is not even 6 months old and of course everything new has a higher price tag just give it time. And one more thing, their are some guys that splash more money on a 30" LCD which costs way more than this product...well thats my opinion.
jackeberg
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by jackeberg »

But this is in fact a problem with the product. If the experienced reviewer can not get the product to function properly, there is a probem with the product and not with the reviewer. This is the truth when many reviews share the same problem. If s3d are supposed to get mainstream it cannot require a "s3dnerd" to function properly. There must be excellent documentation and there should be a showcase game and movie with excellent 3d functions included. 999$ might not mean anything to you but to most people that is alot. You can buy a great full hd tv for that, but coming home explaning to the wife why we absolutely need a 999$ 22" monitor that only one can use at a time. That is one hell of a challenge.

The 30" lcd monitors are great for work and pleasure. This 22" is only for pleasure the 2d quality is not good enough for work and too small an low res for showcase.

Still great monitors but they must come down in price. The Samsung 50" 3dtv cost 999$ too. The zalman is prices at 3 22" in sweden an the Izrd 4 22". That makes for some pretty good gameplay too.

Most people can not set up a digital tv properly, s3d can not afford lacking in this departement. But sadly most technology will. It would cost an extra 0.1% $ and might stand for 50% of the prestanda. Yet it is more common to skip it, that must be the most stupid thing ever. Stupidity rules.

When it comes to the s3d halving the fps this is more tricky. It would not look good with a sticky on the prduct claiming now with half the fps. But the buyers still need to be informed of this. To get a good fps a 300$ card is required. Not a problem right now but for mainstream adaption it is critical.

But then you have things like Gizmondo writing this. It´s crap journalism and makes me want to punch them in the plums.

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/peripherals/ ... 227485.php
crim3
Certif-Eyed!

Post by crim3 »

one problem with the stereo 3D demos is, as full stereo experience needs training of the eyes, the demo must be done with little stereo separation for everybody to see the effect... I think.
sharky
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by sharky »

hi all!

in my opinion the review is written very well, you clearly see that they really used all theyr knowledge to write it, but you also see that who wrote it is a stereoscopy newbie and never used such a monitor before... moreover i think that the end result on the negative points is correct but out of date.. AFAIK that was the standing in september. i would half down the negative points.. and nearly half them down again within the next months.

the problems in stereo reviews are several...

1) if you are not a stereo gamer you wont be fully satisfied by it because the brain needs time (some weeks) to get used to the 3D. you have no focussing point and that is wired for the brain.. if you looka th the keyboard you can see your blurred nose, if you look at the monitor you see the blurred wall behind. but if you look at a 3D effect inside the monitor, everything is focussed. the brain needs time.

2)who is not a stereo gamer has different "standards" than others. the common belive is that everything has to work fien in the first moment. so maybe for a "common" gamer the iz3d drivers may appear less than good, since they do not have a direct comparison with the situation in the stereogaming. for us, who know how it is, iz3d drivers are x time more than the top.

over all i think that if i pick the guy who wrote it, pass one week with him teach him how to set up the monitor and let him play full time to have its brain at least a little used to the 3D effect, the review would be really great.. indipendently from the positive or negative sides.. everything has negative sides, the problem is just that in 3D in GENERAL you create problems wich do not exist because you do not know how to use it properly.

bye

igor

Return to “General Stereoscopic 3D Discussion”