Sharp's 10" Auto-S3D display makes us love 3D glasses (vid)

Find a good article? Got a news story to share? VR, AR, 3D...it's all good! No self promotion please.
Silversurfer
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Sharp's 10" Auto-S3D display makes us love 3D glasses (vid)

Post by Silversurfer »

Now that the Nintendo 3DS is announced using a parallax barrier display, we bet that many of you were hoping to see a 10-inch 3D tablet or laptop with a similar glasses-less display. Hell, we were... until we actually saw Sharp's prototype 10.6-inch parallax barrier display here at IFA in Berlin. Unfortunately, the panel at this larger size suffers from some very serious vertical shadows (check the video) unless you're right in the sweet spot and alligned with the barrier's precision slits at a distance of about 20 inches. Even then, it's very hard to maintain your position, and the 3D effect isn't all that dazzling. Fortunately, this 3D (640 x 768) panel also functions in 2D (1280 x 728) mode. Guess a 3D tablet that requires glasses isn't so crazy after all. Wait, yes it is.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/04/shar ... ve-our-3d/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Got a release or 3D news story to share? Email press@mtbs3D.com, and we'll put it up!

Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Re: Sharp's 10" Auto-S3D display makes us love 3D glasses (v

Post by Likay »

Well, well... that's how parallax barriers works right?
They're well suited for smaller displays like stereocameras, the 3ds etc etc though.
Bigger displays, high quality and parallax barriers don't go together though... There's still sweetspots but with some care taken you should be able to have a number of sweet spots which enables more than one viewer to see 3d. However the distance must be right anyway.
There are no glassesfree displays that comes any close to the image gotten using glasses yet.
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

I think this could work. I mean, I was able to DIY a 10" parallax barrier display and the 3d looked good. The viewing angle was dreadfully small though, and I don't think I would want to deal with that on a tablet device. But look at those lenticular movie posters. They're huge and still have decent viewing angles with sometimes as much as 4 views or more. So auto-stereo certainly can work, the quality is just not there yet for mainstream use. We will see how the 3DS changes the equation.
android78
Certif-Eyable!

Post by android78 »

cybereality wrote:I think this could work. I mean, I was able to DIY a 10" parallax barrier display and the 3d looked good. The viewing angle was dreadfully small though, and I don't think I would want to deal with that on a tablet device. But look at those lenticular movie posters. They're huge and still have decent viewing angles with sometimes as much as 4 views or more. So auto-stereo certainly can work, the quality is just not there yet for mainstream use. We will see how the 3DS changes the equation.
The movie posters isn't really a good comparison since they are usually composed from 5-10 discrete angles rather then just two as used for the parallax barrier.
BTW, if you want to increase the viewing angle with parallax barriers, you need to make the lines thicker and the spaces thinner. This has the unfortunate consequence of reducing the brightness though.
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

There are no glassesfree displays that comes any close to the image gotten using glasses yet.
yeah and very easily verified with recorded stereo video
-Biased for 0 Gen HMD's to hell and back must be one hundred percent hell bent bias!

Return to “User Contributed Immersive Technology News & Announcements”