Intel's Sandy Bridge CPUs Will Play Blu-ray 3D

Find a good article? Got a news story to share? VR, AR, 3D...it's all good! No self promotion please.
Silversurfer
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Intel's Sandy Bridge CPUs Will Play Blu-ray 3D

Post by Silversurfer »

0:00 AM - August 30, 2010 by Marcus Yam - source: Tom's Hardware US

Intel's best attempt at IGPs yet.

Zoom

Right now on Westmere chips are integrated graphics along with the CPU sitting on the same silicon, but Sandy Bridge will move them into a single die. This will boost performance in itself, and Intel boasts that the new IGP will be able to decode Blu-ray 3D media.

Intel's hasn't yet revealed everything on Sandy Bridge yet, but the company is likely to discuss the upgraded graphics part at the Intel Developer Forum on September 13 to 15.

The current graphics part in Westmere chips can already do 1080p Blu-ray decodes, but as we know from the consumer electronics space, newer and stronger hardware is required to render the additional images for 3D.

Intel spokesman Nick Knupffer confirmed that Sandy Bridge mobile chips will have the capability for Blu-ray 3D, which hopefully translates into greater 3D graphics performance too.

(Source: IDG.)
Got a release or 3D news story to share? Email press@mtbs3D.com, and we'll put it up!

cirk2
Certif-Eyed!

Re: Intel's Sandy Bridge CPUs Will Play Blu-ray 3D

Post by cirk2 »

I think even without the integrated GPU the sandy bridge generation would be powerful enough to decode 3D Blue ray, if the display image is rendered via a gpu...

but it is interesting that they want to move the GPU on the same DIE as the CPU, that's new for me...

It is of special interest for me since my next upgrade cycle will come together with late Sandy bridge or Ivy Bridge (Sandy bridge shrinked by one size step)

Return to “User Contributed Immersive Technology News & Announcements”