DXG-5D7V, 'the only 3D video camcorder,' now available for p

Find a good article? Got a news story to share? VR, AR, 3D...it's all good! No self promotion please.
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

DXG-5D7V, 'the only 3D video camcorder,' now available for p

Post by yuriythebest »

DXG-5D7V, 'the only 3D video camcorder,' now available for preorder
Panasonic may have the first 3D camcorder we'd actually ever consider purchasing, but technically speaking DXG has been sitting on the stereoscopic gold mine for months. This past week, the budget camera company's 3D View pistol cam got real, in a Hammacher-Schlemmer package that'll set you back $600. That outlay buys you not only the twin-lens VGA shooter you see above, but also a companion 7-inch, 800 x 480 3D media player, both of which are outfitted with glasses-free parallax barrier LCD screens. It's not a terrible deal considering the alternatives on offer, but we're not down with the $200 luxury tax Hammacher and company tacked on top, and we're a little wary about the way that ram is staring at us. Cameras are expected to ship August 6th; press release after the break.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/01/dxg- ... #c29634877" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
the stereo separation is a joke...
Oculus Rift / 3d Sucks - 2D FTW!!!
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: DXG-5D7V, 'the only 3D video camcorder,' now available f

Post by cybereality »

Wow! Once again, this is a bad joke. I wonder if videos taken with it will even look 3D?
Freke1
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Freke1 »

Don't count it out!
How impressive does the real world not look to a small animal?
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

That's a matter of relativity... But ok. This cam might be made for cats and similar small animals. Didn't know they want it, even more afford it (there are always crazy moviestars with their pets though...). 8-)
Blackshark made a point in another thread about how overseparated vids easily becomes when trying to capture on close distances. It's true but when taking vids/photos on slight further away objects 3d-images quickly becomes dull. There's no way to solve this unless you have an adjustable distance between the cameralenses. I don't know if i personally would prefer a separation this low though...
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
BlackShark
Certif-Eyable!

Post by BlackShark »

Indeed low separation guarantees a good 3D shot every time, with high separation, you cannot shoot close stuff and there is a very high risk that the user will shoot a close distance and ruin the shot (especially with consumer cameras).

Small separation is good for consumers.
If you're more serious you'll want to be able to change separation according to your needs.
Passive 3D forever !
DIY polarised dual-projector setup :
2x Epson EH-TW3500 (2D 1080p)
Xtrem Screen Daylight 2.0, for polarized 3D
3D Vision gaming with signal converter : VNS Geobox 501
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Well I guess the low separation is a safe bet for close-up shots but I question how good the shots will look. Even so, its great to have more consumer level 3D cameras coming out.
Dom
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Dom »

Are't you supposed to have a zoom lens to shoot far away stuff. Is this stuff even gonna have zoom like camcorders do now with 90x zoom seek and pan. Those pocket cams are good for teen agers who post their stuff on you tube. But why on earth are those companies charging so much for a flimsy basic 3d camera. Talk about ripping off the customers. You won't catch me buying into the over charged 3d scheeme. That camera is probably only worth 150 dollars max and they made it for 5 dollars. What a profit if they can sell them.
http://www.cns-nynolyt.com/files/doms-systemspecs.html My System specs In HTML

Cyberia on Youtube

__________________________________________________________________________________________
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

Dom wrote:Are't you supposed to have a zoom lens to shoot far away stuff. Is this stuff even gonna have zoom like camcorders do now with 90x zoom seek and pan. Those pocket cams are good for teen agers who post their stuff on you tube. But why on earth are those companies charging so much for a flimsy basic 3d camera. Talk about ripping off the customers. You won't catch me buying into the over charged 3d scheeme. That camera is probably only worth 150 dollars max and they made it for 5 dollars. What a profit if they can sell them.
what's sad that it could have been a nice 150-200-220$ camera, but the higher price and low stereobase make this product look silly
Oculus Rift / 3d Sucks - 2D FTW!!!
BlackShark
Certif-Eyable!

Post by BlackShark »

600$ is not very high for a brand new high tech (3D) camcorder. Just remember the Fuji Real 3D W1 camera.
Passive 3D forever !
DIY polarised dual-projector setup :
2x Epson EH-TW3500 (2D 1080p)
Xtrem Screen Daylight 2.0, for polarized 3D
3D Vision gaming with signal converter : VNS Geobox 501
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

From a low-end company like DXG this should be sold for $300 tops. Who would buy it at $600? Not me.
Dom
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Dom »

Its a great concept adding in autostereoscopic display into a 3d camera and a single person or family dad that makes 60 grand a year could afford to drop 600 dollars on it to start out filming stereo3d for personal interest. Its just most of the people who want the new 3d tech are teenagers or people waiting for a 3d tech release that is worth the 6 months to save to buy it. I guess it all depends on how much money you make and spend for your hobby. Still nice to see new stuff come out, just thought the manufacturers would scrap the 2d stuff and loom the 3d only option. What a dream that would be. 3D only electronics world.
http://www.cns-nynolyt.com/files/doms-systemspecs.html My System specs In HTML

Cyberia on Youtube

__________________________________________________________________________________________
3dreal
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by 3dreal »

Wait for DXG-5D8V its in test phase, should come out in september, at least samples. no real confirmation if video has contrast/saturation-adjustments but the chinese company selling it confirms. i will believe when i see the manual.
I have data-sheet, where can i upload xls-file?
here are both cams:
http://www.omijia.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

forget any videocam which does not have these adjustments. it would be a useless toy.
see the aiptek i2-videos.

Return to “User Contributed Immersive Technology News & Announcements”