question about 720p 3D DLP Home Theater Projectors

Don't know the first thing about S-3D? Just bought your first pair of 3D glasses? Trying to figure out what to buy? Post HERE!
itti
One Eyed Hopeful

question about 720p 3D DLP Home Theater Projectors

Post by itti »

so as usual, i am a newbie here. and i am new on 3D also, i been reading the forum all day and so much to take on first day :D

so from all the reading i can see the cheap solution is to get one of those 600 - 800 $ projectors like acer H5360 720i

my question isnt which is best projector to use. but about the whole technology.

My setup is a pc with GTX260 card and the only use for this projector is to watch movies from the pc. and also watch from the satellite receiver ( example the world cup + premier league ) 3d football games.

i will not be doing any kind of gaming on this rig. so please help me understanding this.
1) will i be able to watch 3D movies from pc plugged to the projector & also 3d channels from satellite receivers ( 1080i )
2) if i can what kind of glasses i need ? all i need is 2 glasses.
3) what if i bought ViewSonic PGD-150 Active Stereographic 3D Shutter Glasses, with ViewSonic's PJD6241 projector. would that work for both movies from pc & satellite 3D channels ?

i ma sorry to bother you with these simple questions. any help appreciated!
i am not expecting something special from cheap solution like this, but i dont want to spend over 1k$ for whole setup of projector + 2x glasses.
i want to try to get something up and running before world cup starts.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: question about 720p 3D DLP Home Theater Projectors

Post by cybereality »

Hi, welcome to the forum.

I have heard good things about the Acer H5360. With that projector and a PC with an Nvidia card (like you have) you should be able to watch 3D video and also play 3D gaming. However, 3D broadcasts or compatibility with standalone Blu-Ray 3D players will not work. Although you should be able to play 3D Blu-Ray if you have a BD-ROM drive on your PC using the PowerDVD 10 (I think this feature might be Windows 7 only, though). For the best compatibility you want to stick with Nvidia 3D Vision compatible projectors. So to get to your questions:

1) 3D movies yes, 3d broadcast no.
2) Depends on the solution, probably the Nvidia 3D Vision glasses.
3) I do not know what media that projector supports in DLP-link mode. I mean, it should work for 3D movies using the Nvidia 3D Vision glasses. However with the Viewsonic glasses I am not sure what software supports that. I would be interested to know myself.
itti
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by itti »

thanks alot for your replay. last question so for 3d broadcast. what options we got for that. that are not overpriced ?
BlackShark
Certif-Eyable!

Post by BlackShark »

At the moment the only solution for broadcast is to record to hard drive then launch the recorded files into Stereoscopic player.
For live broadcast it's more complicated and the only reliable way is one of those new and overpriced 3DTVs... until the software for PC DVB tuners are be updated to display stereo.
Passive 3D forever !
DIY polarised dual-projector setup :
2x Epson EH-TW3500 (2D 1080p)
Xtrem Screen Daylight 2.0, for polarized 3D
3D Vision gaming with signal converter : VNS Geobox 501
itti
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by itti »

thanks again, i guess i cancel buying one til i can afford a 3d tv
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

In the near future I imagine they will come out with some projectors that are HDMI 1.4 compliant (for 3D BluRay, PS3) and also support 3D broadcast (side-by-side format). However, at the moment, I don't believe there is anything like that.
Ardov
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Ardov »

Well you are wrong cybereality. In fact H5360 can be used for 3D broadcasting. Considering the fact that someone has a set-top box DVB-S receiver with an HDMI output, there is a cheap solution. You can buy an Avermedia HDMI capture card, connect it with the DVB-S receiver and use the "Live Video" function of Stereoscopic Player. Of course that requires a PC. The Acer may not be compatible with 3D Bluray and HDMI 1.4 but using the PC along with Power DVD 10 Ultra 3D Mark II, you could output the video to frame sequential and watch it on the Acer. Again, the only requirement is a PC. The difference of a future HDMI 1.4 projector and current 720p 3D DLP solutions is that the latter require a PC and the whole setup is somewhat more "manual".

The HDMI capture card:

http://www.avermedia.com/avertv/product ... spx?id=499" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Even so, I still don't think there is any projector that *natively* supports broadcast. Just because you can go through some elaborate rigamarole with a PC doesn't necessarily make it "supported".
Anthony1
Cross Eyed!

Post by Anthony1 »

Ardov wrote:Well you are wrong cybereality. In fact H5360 can be used for 3D broadcasting. Considering the fact that someone has a set-top box DVB-S receiver with an HDMI output, there is a cheap solution. You can buy an Avermedia HDMI capture card, connect it with the DVB-S receiver and use the "Live Video" function of Stereoscopic Player. Of course that requires a PC. The Acer may not be compatible with 3D Bluray and HDMI 1.4 but using the PC along with Power DVD 10 Ultra 3D Mark II, you could output the video to frame sequential and watch it on the Acer. Again, the only requirement is a PC. The difference of a future HDMI 1.4 projector and current 720p 3D DLP solutions is that the latter require a PC and the whole setup is somewhat more "manual".

The HDMI capture card:

http://www.avermedia.com/avertv/product ... spx?id=499" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Do you know anybody that has actually used one of these AVerMedia cards with the "Live Video" function of Stereoscopic player on a H5360? If that really works, then that's a pretty clever way around the problem. I'm waiting for confirmations on all this stuff with somebody who has actually got it to work.

Also, I wonder if it would be possible to run a Playstation 3 thru this same scenario and be able to play PS3 games in 3D on the H5360? If you could, then that would mean that you can basically find your way around all the issues for the 4 primary 3D sources.

3D Blu Ray Movies - via Power DVD 10 Ultra 3D Mark II

3D PC Games - via Nvidia or ATI's solutions.

Direct TV 3D (ESPN 3D, etc) - via running the Direct TV output into the AVerMedia card, and then using "Live Video" function of Stereoscopic Player.

Playstation 3 games in 3D - via running the Playstation 3 output into the AVerMedia card, and then using "Live Video" function of Stereoscopic Player.

If all of those things worked, then it would be pretty freaking awesome, because you'd basically have all the bases covered.
Ardov
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Ardov »

Well, i've seen the Avermedia Capture HD card working with 3rd party application via a live video function such as Stereoscopic Player's function but i haven't tested it live with the Acer and 3D satellite source. Although i remember i saw a post on a forum while searching the net, from a guy who said it worked that way perfectly. I also believe it works because the card has 2 different HD inputs, HDMI and Component which could make an XBOX360 3D too. Of course using the PS3 or XBOX requires the console to output a side-by-side image or above-below otherwise it will not work. So considering the facts, if the above solution works then of course we could do all these things via a PC as you said:

That would be simple to do since PowerDVD supports time-sequential output. No Avermedia Capture HD Card needed here.

3D PC Games - via Nvidia or ATI's solutions.

Well that could be done with the following setup:

1) Gaming PC with ATI or NVIDIA card. Well if you want a generic solution for both AMD and NVIDIA cards you would also need a 3rd party driver (iz3d or Tridef) which outputs a signal in a side-by-side 1080i format.

2) 3DPC which would capture the signal via the Avermedia Capture HD card and play it through Stereoscopic player to feed the projector. Then you could use cheap Edimensional glasses or others to view in 3D. Otherwise you must go with the NVIDIA solution, 3D Vision glasses , compatible NVIDIA graphics card and of course NVIDIA's drivers.

3) Not too comfortable setup, since you have to build 2 computers for that and also there are lots of cables required thus making a nice cable-spagghetti in your living room.

Direct TV 3D (ESPN 3D, etc)

Via running the Direct TV output into the AVerMedia card, and then using "Live Video" function of Stereoscopic Player.

Playstation 3 games in 3D

Via running the Playstation 3 output (which should be a side-by-side or above-below image) into the AVerMedia card, and then using "Live Video" function of Stereoscopic Player.
Anthony1
Cross Eyed!

Post by Anthony1 »

Isn't the Optoma HD66 better than the Acer? Would all these different methods work with the HD66?
ssiu
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by ssiu »

Ardov wrote: Direct TV 3D (ESPN 3D, etc)

Via running the Direct TV output into the AVerMedia card, and then using "Live Video" function of Stereoscopic Player.

Playstation 3 games in 3D

Via running the Playstation 3 output (which should be a side-by-side or above-below image) into the AVerMedia card, and then using "Live Video" function of Stereoscopic Player.
I don't understand how these work. I thought the PS3 and set-top boxes output "HDMI 3D", and even if they are side-by-side/above-below, they are not exactly the same signal as the "computer" side-by-side/above-below signal that the AVerMedia card capture. Is the AVerMedia card advertised as supporting HDMI 1.4 3D input signals?

(I would love to be proven wrong, as I have a PS3 and won't get a 3D HDTV, and would love to display PS3 3D on my iZ3D monitor.)
itti
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by itti »

well, i ordered today an Acer 5360 with a Avertv HD card. and will give it a try.
even if i couldn't make the world cup 3d work. still will use it with my Nvidia 3d setup
Anthony1
Cross Eyed!

Post by Anthony1 »

itti wrote:well, i ordered today an Acer 5360 with a Avertv HD card. and will give it a try.
even if i couldn't make the world cup 3d work. still will use it with my Nvidia 3d setup
Could you try it with a PS3 as well? I don't think it will work, but might as well try it.
itti
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by itti »

Anthony1 wrote: Could you try it with a PS3 as well? I don't think it will work, but might as well try it.
I received it today and will do my tests on weekend when i am free, for the PS3 sadly i dont own one. So can't test that, but if the satellite tv works. I guess it should work also for anything else. will play with it on weekend :shutter

edit: Being impatient as i am :D, i opened the box and gave it a fast try without setting up wall mount and stuff, but no time to test the 3d, 4 hours left to wake up for work :D
but damn this is my first projector and this thing giving me a 180 cm wide screen only from 3 meter away :D ( i have to return the 90 inch screen i bought and change it with 120 or something ).
although i have this issue of some lines like small breaks in screen when there is a fast action scene movie, is that normal ? or the lamb is like that when first used ?

anyways 3d test tomorrow i cant wait til weekend !! :D
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

itti wrote:although i have this issue of some lines like small breaks in screen when there is a fast action scene movie, is that normal ? or the lamb is like that when first used ?
Looks like tearing, did you try with Mplayer Classic ?
itti
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by itti »

well for now i got this setup to work using the Aver card
but now i got a 3D picture running very good, but no sound. i have no idea how to get the sound to work through pc also,
Fabian
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Fabian »

Ardov wrote:
Does anybody know if it works with the anaglpyhs from colorcode3d ?

Thanks for your response!

regards

Fabian
spyderms
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by spyderms »

After trying to get PS3 3D to work with my ViewSonic 3D projector, I'm pretty sure using the AverTV card through Stereoscopic player will not work. The problem is, the PS3 checks to see if your display is '3D capable' before it enables 3D output. It does this when you go into the Display Options and have it autoscan for HDMI signals, to see what resolutions it can display in. If your TV is 3D capable, it also gives you an option to adjust some settings related to that. If it doesn't give you the option, no 3D.
Anthony1
Cross Eyed!

Post by Anthony1 »

spyderms wrote:After trying to get PS3 3D to work with my ViewSonic 3D projector, I'm pretty sure using the AverTV card through Stereoscopic player will not work. The problem is, the PS3 checks to see if your display is '3D capable' before it enables 3D output. It does this when you go into the Display Options and have it autoscan for HDMI signals, to see what resolutions it can display in. If your TV is 3D capable, it also gives you an option to adjust some settings related to that. If it doesn't give you the option, no 3D.
It could very well be possible to "trick" the PS3 into sending out the 3D signal regardless, by using a Geffen HDMI Detective. Alot of Samsung DLP owners are using HDMI Detective's to get around the fact that Mitsubishi's converter will only work with Mits DLP's, because of the EDID info. People are taking their HDMI Detective's into Best Buys, and plugging them into Mits DLP's to get the necessary EDID signal.

Basically, you would need to get a Geffen HDMI Detective, and then take it to a Best Buy, hook it up to a modern 2010 model 3DTV, get the EDID info, and then connect your PS3's hdmi output to the HDMI Detective, and it should make the PS3 "think" that it's being hooked up to a 2010 model 3DTV.
satenicu
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by satenicu »

Dear friends
This is my first post on this forum.
I have started to build my 3D home cinema system.
In this moment I have for projection a BenQ MP-776(normal, because the short throw version is too expensive)
- 3 pairs of shutter glasses which are made to work with DLP LINK system(one of them is X-Pand 102)(this glasses are borrowed for test from a cinema which have the 3D system with Christie projectors)
-the PC with NVidia 9800GT video board and aquisition board Avermedia HD
I have two questions for you.
After I have connected via VGA I have played some 3D files with stereoscopic player in
3D ready DLP tv viewing method with 120 Hz setting. The DLP link system from the projector is not working.I have tried all the combinations. I have checked the glasses at the cinema and they are OK.Which can be the cause?
The second problem is that I have tried to to view an 3D side by side satellite transmission using the live transmission mode from stereoscopic player and is not working.Any mode I use I have only side by side output.
If I record the transmission and after this I play the mp.4 file it is OK.That means that I have a sequential 3D picture.
Which is the problem?
the settings or the player?
Thank you
Nick
acejohnlee
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by acejohnlee »

Well with this matter, I have tried others to do it but only the Acer H5360 accompanied by a projector. This is actually done so I can watch some 3D movies but not the broadcast channel. I am also using an Active Shutter on the 3D glasses.
My online Home theater

Return to “I'm New To Stereoscopic 3D!”