LED TVs good for s3d?

iondrive
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

LED TVs good for s3d?

Post by iondrive »

recently I saw some "LED TVs" in the stores and got a little hopeful that they might be good for 3d even if they don't say 3d so I did some research and I just want to let people know that these are not really LED TVs. In other words, the pixels are not made of LED elements. These are just LCD TVs with LED back-lighting and so I was disappointed since these TVs will have the same problems as other LCD TVs unless they are specially made for s3d. But that leads me to ask this question:

Q1: Does anyone know of any "real" LED TV being made now or in future that will have actual LED pixels?

Then I just want to make a supposition: even if there is such a TV made, it could still turn out to be bad for shutterglasses if they design it with display electronics like the LCD TVs have. But I very much don't know everything and so maybe I'm wrong and real LED TVs would be good for shutterglass use if they have a good blank interval so that you don't get any display-related ghosting. I know normal LED displays actually flicker anyway so my second question is...

Q2: Would such a "real" LED TV be good for s3d shutterglasses due to the intrinsic natural properties of LED displays flickering like they do?

Q3: Would such a TV be super expensive and much harder to make than an LCD TV?

OH NO, I just realized. LED's don't "naturally" flicker. It's just that if you have a LED alarm clock and shake it left and right fast, you can see it flickering but that doesn't happen with other LED things like flashlights or other so I guess it's just that the numeric display of the clock is engineered that way. Anyway, Question 2 still partially holds... "would a real LED TV be good for shutterglass s3d"? I think the answer is maybe or maybe not depending on how they designed it. It seems like it could be good.

Final question: Would a "real" LED TV take less power than an LED-backlit LCD TV?

Just wondering...

--- iondrive ---
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Re: LED TVs good for s3d?

Post by tritosine5G »

-Biased for 0 Gen HMD's to hell and back must be one hundred percent hell bent bias!

Return to “General Stereoscopic 3D Discussion”