Getting Nvidia 3D Vision glasses to work with iZ3D driver

asdfqwer
One Eyed Hopeful

Getting Nvidia 3D Vision glasses to work with iZ3D driver

Post by asdfqwer »

After quite a bit of messing around, I was able to get the 3D Vision glasses to work with iZ3D, which should allow the glasses to be used with XP, just about any GPU (ATI, onboard, etc) that iZ3D supports and any display device that supports VGA input. Basically, this method uses iz3d with blue line coding to activate the edimensional VGA dongle, which provides the sync to the nvidia emitter over the VESA 3d sync plug. The trick is to activate the emitter using the code found in this thread:
http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=3130" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hardware needed:

1. 3D Vision kit
2. e-Dimensional VGA dongle
http://www.edimensional.com/product_inf ... ucts_id=54" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
3. A display device that supports VGA input (CRT monitor or a projector)

Software needed:

1. 3D Vision driver
http://us.download.nvidia.com/Windows/3 ... driver.exe" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2. iZ3D driver
http://www.iz3d.com/download/files/iZ3D ... 11b1-2.exe" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
3. Activator program written by cms
Source code: http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=3130" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Compiled version: http://www.mediafire.com/?jqw3ncxktmo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
4. ReForce
http://www.pagehosting.co.uk/rf/download.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
5. WinRAR
http://rarlabs.com/rar/wrar393.exe" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Guide

This guide uses 1024x768 at 100Hz display setting. Once you get it to work with that resolution/refresh rate, you can try other resolutions/refresh rates. I was unable to activate the emitter using 120Hz refresh, maybe you will have better luck.

1. Connect the edim dongle to your video card. Example: video card -> DVI-to-VGA adapter -> edim dongle -> display device. Connect the minidin3 end (big end) of the 3D sync cable that came with the 3D vision kit to the edim dongle, but DO NOT plug it into the nvidia emitter yet.

2. Unpack the 3D Vision driver using WinRAR. Inside, you should see 3 files named nvstusb.xxx This is the driver for the USB dongle, it will work just fine under XP.

3. Plug in the Nvidia emitter into USB port. The Nvidia icon should flash, and the "hardware update" wizard should pop up.

4. Select no to locating the driver through windows update, then "install from a list or specific location", then "dont search", then click on "have disk". Browse to where you unpacked the 3D Vision driver, double click on nvstusb.inf Click through the rest of the wizard. Once the driver is installed, the Nvidia icon on the emitter should stay solid green (no longer flashing)

5. Use reforce to lock in the 100Hz refresh rate at 1024x768. Switch to 1024x768 and make sure that everything works, and you're getting 100Hz refresh rate.

6. Use WinRAR to unpack activator.rar
Inside, you should see activator.exe, a bunch of dlls and a file named validRefreshRates.ini
Open validRefreshRates.ini with notepad and make sure that the top line reads 100

7. Make sure that the 3D sync cable is NOT plugged into the back of the 3D Vision emitter. The only thing that should be connected to the emitter at this point is the USB cable.

8. Start activator.exe
You should see the Nvidia icon on the emitter turn bright green. Turn on the glasses, and you should see a 3D cube rotating in the middle of your screen. Press F2 to swap eyes if you need to (I had to).

9. Use taskmanager to kill activator.exe
DO NOT click on the X, that does not stop it. The Nvidia icon should go back to dim green.

10. At this point, your emitter is turned on, but it's not active because it's not getting the sync signal over USB anymore, since you killed activator.exe in the previous step. If it starts getting the sync signal from the 3D sync port, it will automatically activate.

11. Install iZ3D. In the iZ3D control center, select Enable stereo by hot key. Output should be set to Shutter, Blue Line coded. The edim dongle works just fine with blue line coding.

12. Plug in the 3D Sync cable into the back of the Nvidia emitter

12. Start a DirectX game, configure it to use the 1024x768 resolution. I used the old UT99 with UTGLR D3D9 driver. Make sure that the game is running at 1024x768 with 100Hz refresh rate.

13. Hit enable stereo hotkey (Num * by default). You should see the Nvidia logo turn bright on the emitter, and your glasses should start flickering.

Credit goes to cms for writing the activator program.
DmitryKo
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Re: Getting Nvidia 3D Vision glasses to work with iZ3D drive

Post by DmitryKo »

any display device that supports VGA input
Cool, but that only allows your 3D Vision glasses to work with a CRT monitor which supports 1024x768 @100 Hz.

I'm still waiting for 3rd party glasses designed by Bit Cauldron, and hopefully future 120 Hz monitors will feature a built-in ZigBee emitter or a VESA Stereo sync port...
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Very cool hack.
asdfqwer
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by asdfqwer »

DmitryKo wrote:
any display device that supports VGA input
Cool, but that only allows your 3D Vision glasses to work with a CRT monitor which supports 1024x768 @100 Hz.

I'm still waiting for 3rd party glasses designed by Bit Cauldron, and hopefully future 120 Hz monitors will feature a built-in ZigBee emitter or a VESA Stereo sync port...
This should also work with DLP projectors, even 85Hz ones. I just tested it and it works with 1024x768 at 85Hz on a CRT. I dont have the projectors yet to test (should arrive soon).

But yeah, this is definitely a hack for those who already have the 3D vision kit. BitCauldron glasses should be a much better option when they come out.

A major side benefit of this hack is that it will allow 3D vision glasses to be used with 3D bluray and consoles. You'll need a laptop/HTPC near the TV to activate and power the emitter, but once that's done it should be able to recieve the sync signal from the TVs sync port.
DmitryKo
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by DmitryKo »

asdfqwer wrote:You'll need a laptop/HTPC near the TV to activate and power the emitter, but once that's done it should be able to recieve the sync signal from the TVs sync port.
Unfortunately, most new 3DTV sets do not have a VESA Stereo sync port.
asdfqwer
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by asdfqwer »

Eh? I know Mitsu's have them.

I mean DLPs can use DLP link, but what about plasmas (or anything else for that matter)? How will the glasses get the sync when using those if there is no VESA port on the TV? Rely on the source? But that will not work with PS3, Xbox, etc. The VESA port is the only thing that's even remotely standard in the current mess, why remove it?
DmitryKo
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by DmitryKo »

asdfqwer wrote:How will the glasses get the sync when using those if there is no VESA port on the TV?
This year's LCD and plasma 3DTVs mostly feature built-in emitter which only works with shutter glasses from the same brand.

I don't know if 2010 Mitsubishi 3D DLPs have it, they probably still do.
that will not work with PS3, Xbox, etc.
Why not? Most known stereo formats like checkerboard, line-interleaved, side-by-side, top/bottom and HDMI "frame packing" are self-syncing. One exception is pure frame alternative ("page flipping") which does need explicit sync information; one way is to provide it is to use embedded "blue line code" on the last scanline, as you mentioned above.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Could this possibly allow support for 120Hz monitors/projectors on ATI cards?
DmitryKo
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by DmitryKo »

cybereality wrote:Could this possibly allow support for 120Hz monitors/projectors on ATI cards?
No, since they don't have any VESA Stereo ports either.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

DmitryKo wrote:
cybereality wrote:Could this possibly allow support for 120Hz monitors/projectors on ATI cards?
No, since they don't have any VESA Stereo ports either.
Yeah but neither do CRTs. Hes getting the sync from the ED dongle.
DmitryKo
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by DmitryKo »

Oh. Sorry. Well, 720p stereo projectors might work if they are using analog VGA; 120 Hz monitors will not work, since 120 Hz mode only works with Dual-link DVI input.
davidhurd
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by davidhurd »

Hello.
I am new here. ;)
I had reed a this post , and founded it very intrested to me but I wood like to get sume help if it is posible.

I have an imac 27" and just ordered projector Benq sp890.
I wood like to make tham work with Nvidia shutter glasses like in the sample below.
(sorry for my eng.--- it is not my primary lang)

***In Imac:
It has an ATI video card.
the only video out is mini-display port.
But I have also an Mini-display port to HDMI adapter that support 1080p.

***In the projector Benq sp890:
It has an HDMI in
VGA in
----and monitor OUT(I think also VGA).

I want to use Imac to play games in 3d and out put the picture to that projector.

:cry: Please help !!!
Dom
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Dom »

Hi you are gonna need to use the vga port to your projector for this to work. The iz3d blue line code is specifcally for vga and nothing else, no dvi, display port, hdmi. Get this for your imac look here:
http://store.apple.com/ca/product/MB572Z/A" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am guessing this will work for you but can you actually install all those windows drivers on your imac or are you using windows on your mac. Only use VGA.
http://www.cns-nynolyt.com/files/doms-systemspecs.html My System specs In HTML

Cyberia on Youtube

__________________________________________________________________________________________
davidhurd
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by davidhurd »

it is an Continuation of my post belaw:

My iMac has Windows 7.
I already have tried it with an iz3d driver and a "1$" red cayan glasses.
It is working, but herting my eyes.
I also tried to output the picture to my lcd tv, and it worked too. ;)

Now I want to do the same, but to use the projector to output the picture and to use it with nvidia shutter glasses. :cry:

I know that I have to use Vga to get it done but... :

I want to use my Imac also to view movies and output the picture to projector.
Now if I will buy an minidisplay-port to vga adopter it will take the place of my HDMI adopter,that is conected to the iMac now. And I will have to view also movies via Vga--- not the best option....
I can buy an minidisplay port spliter but it cast to much.
***Also I prefer if even when I will play in 3d the picture will go to progector via HDMI and to use Vga only for the syncing with the glasses.
***Is IT posible !!!*** :!:

*** Like I sayed before my projector is Benq sp890.
It has HDMI in
VGA in
and Monitor out--- VGA :!:

So I have an Idia but don't shure it will work :arrow: :
To make connection between Imac and projector via HDMI(I have a minidisplay port to HDMI conector).
and output signal to the e-dimantional Vga adopter from the VGA output on projector
for the syncing with the glasses.

:!: :?: Will it work?!!

If some body has another idia based on my case ---I will be glad to know !!!

Thank You :D
davidhurd
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by davidhurd »

:3D Can sume body plese halp me with my questions below :!: :?:
Dom
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Dom »

Hi I see what you are trying to do. That is fool your computer out of a display and an extra connector. Honestly I don't think it's going to work. How are you going to hook up the e dimensional dongle to your computer when you have to use hdmi anyways? Does you imac already have a vga connector on it? Just to say that iz3d driver nvidia hack is like an ed.exe application except for the nvidia 3d glasses. So they will turn on in an part of windows. You may have to test your system to actually be sure, but look at the facts of real connections that are working before you spend money on the wrong adapter or such.

I tested my system like this:

nvidia graphics card
windows vista
e dimensional vga dongle
nvidia 3d vision glasses and dongle kit
edimensional wired glasses
3d ready 120hz lcd monitor
benq 85hz projector

Now I tested to see if I could view 3d with my edimensional glasses on my 3d ready 120hz monitor. I could not! . Not even in clone mode or extended. This was using the ed.exe activator and not the iz3d/nvidia activator patch. The thing is I am guessing the iz3d patch is the same as the edimensional because they both use vga and not hdmi/MDP so it must fail on all digital connections and monitors.

davidhurd wrote:
I want to use my Imac also to view movies and output the picture to projector.
Now if I will buy an minidisplay-port to vga adopter it will take the place of my HDMI adopter,that is conected to the iMac now. And I will have to view also movies via Vga--- not the best option....
I can buy an minidisplay port spliter but it cast to much.
***Also I prefer if even when I will play in 3d the picture will go to progector via HDMI and to use Vga only for the syncing with the glasses.
***Is IT posible !!!*** :!
I know its a pain to switch output cords everytime you need to load up a game or movie but it looks like you only option maybe to switch plugs when needed or just use vga all the time on your projector and use the highest resolution refesh reate you can. That is the most important thing here with your projector to check your refresh rate limits, looks like you will have 85 hz and you should see what resolution 85hz will goto, 720p ain't that bad maybe you can goto 1280x1024x85?

Cyberia on Youtube

__________________________________________________________________________________________
davidhurd
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by davidhurd »

Hello Dom .

It looks that you did't read my post untill the end: :arrow:

*** Like I sayed before my projector is Benq sp890.
It has HDMI in
VGA in
and Monitor out--- VGA :!:

So I have an Idia but don't shure it will work :arrow: :
To make connection between Imac and projector via HDMI(I have a minidisplay port to HDMI conector).
and output signal to the e-dimantional Vga adopter from the VGA output on projector
for the syncing with the glasses. :!:

I want to use the VGA out on projector to do the syncing with the Nvidia Glasses
If I will output the picture from Imac to the projector via HDMI,the projector cood output the picture via VGA,
Now if I will connect the e-dimentional dongle to the VGA out on the projector it will get the picture from it,
If I connect the Nvidia Set to that e-dim dongle it shud do the sync with the glasses(nvidia).
*** the end of the dongle will not be connected no were, the dongle will be connected only to VGA out on one side end to Nvidia set on another side.

Maybe this cood work anyway ?!!

Thank You.
davidhurd
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by davidhurd »

Can sume body please answer my questions !!? :roll:
Dom
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Dom »

Hi, I don't think its gonna work. Just from the test I did with digital dvi-d. It pretty much the same as hdmi. In those posts they said you had to use vga output not hdmi to use the iz3d/nvidia patch. There is no such thing as 3d hdmi with edimensional and hdmi 1.3 and below because the blue line code does not trigger the square signal to the edimensional adapter.

So how is that blue line code going to go through the hdmi into your projector out the vga port into your dongle when there is not going to be a signal going through the hdmi in the first place. Can you find a hdmi and vga splitter in one? Even the ed.exe activator will not go through the hdmi cable. No one has got this to work yet.

Anyways you might have luck projecting the 3d vision glasses and dongle through hdmi on your projector but I doubt the 3d drivers will allow you to select crt monitor as an option because most folks only use vga. You might just be able to use your hdmi with iz3d drivers and that iz3d/nvidia patch and nvidia 3d vision. Nvidia is locked to their hardware and software mostly within their drivers, iz3d has many more options to use with displays.

Cyberia on Youtube

peter64
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by peter64 »

Hey I have the viewsonic pjd6531w.

Here are my experiences with the updated 1.47 firmware.

connecting hdmi from computer to proj will allow for 120hz at 1280x720 (for some stupid reason windows think the proj native resolution is 1920x1080@30hz), connecting the edimensional dongle to the output of the projector did not cause it to activate (i'm guessing this is due to some scaling of the video signal or downsampling of the refresh rate that the projector does, HOWEVER I can't be sure seeing as I didn't have a second 120hz display capable of 1280x720 to connect to the other end of the edimensional dongle. So it's quite possible that the dongle wasn't activated for that reason.

connecting vga from the computer allows for 120hz at 1280x720 (windows thinks the native resolution is 1280x800@60hz but plays nice and stays with 1280x720@120hz when i full screen), connecting the edimensional dongle to the output of the projector did not cause it to activate (which further cemented my opinion that its caused by some downsampling of the output vga within the projector)

connecting the vga from the computer two the projector through the edimensional dongle and running it at 1280x720@120hz causes the edimensional dongle to activate correctly and work properly.

Hopefully this settles the fact that at least for my projector the vga output is screwed up some how and won't support the edimensional dongle.
gravity360
Cross Eyed!

Post by gravity360 »

Please enlighten me, cause I can't seem to get it to work. Here's the setup i used.

Same projector 120hz,
DVI to VGA Adapter (off of ATI 3870) > edim dongle > projector

Then out of the edim dongle i run the VESA IR adapter for the wireless glasses.

I tried using the iZ3D drivers and had no luck as the glasses wouldn't activate. I did get them to shutter but the sync was strange when i used the ED activator. If you could help me get these working and save myself a few hundred bucks i'd be a happy camper..

Return to “General Stereoscopic 3D Discussion”