HELP, somebody with one of the older Samsung 3D plasmas....

Anthony1
Cross Eyed!

HELP, somebody with one of the older Samsung 3D plasmas....

Post by Anthony1 »

This is for the people that have the "old" 3D ready Samsung Plasmas. If you have a brand new 3D Samsung plasma, then ESPN 3D will definitely work, and you don't have anything to worry about. But for those of us that bought one of Samsung's "supposedly 3D readly" plasmas of a few years ago, it appears there might actually be a workaround to be able to watch ESPN 3D starting on June 11th. Here is what you need, and I'm not positive that this will work. fReAq, a member here, is claiming that this "should" work, but since he is in Australia, and doesn't use Direct TV, we don't know for sure. Maybe somebody here has the necessary equipment and can test it out.

Here is what you need:

1. A Samsung PN50A450 or PN42A450 plasma

2. Shutterglasses and an emitter that works with those plasmas

3. A Direct TV receiver that is 3D compatible. H21 to H24 receivers and HR21 to HR24 receivers are supposed to be 3D compatible.

4. A computer with a decent dual-core processor or better - Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz or Equivalent AMD CPU or better

5. An Avertv HD DVR Capture card with hdmi input installed in your PC

6. Stereoscopic Player for your PC

Ok, now this is how it would supposedly work. You would connect the HDMI output of your Direct TV receiver (has to be 3D compatible) to the HDMI input on your Avertv HD DVR Capture card. Then, you open up Stereoscopic player and select the "Live Video" option. You go into the options on the Stereoscopic player and have it set to DLP Checkerboard. Also, you need to make sure that the video card in your computer is set to either 1360 x 768 or 1024 x 768 (1360 x 768 is for the PN50A450 and 1024 x 768 is for the PN42A450).

The theory, is that the Avertv HD DVR capture card will take in the 1080i SBS 3D format that Direct TV uses, and Stereoscopic player will conver the 1080i SBS 3D format to DLP Checkerboard. As long as your PC's resolution is set to 1360 x 768 or 1024 x 768, it should work.

The only question right now, is whether Direct TV's 3D signal won't be outputted, if it's thinking that it's outputting to something that isn't 3D compatible. I do know of a guy that has a hdmi 1.4 receiver, and he was able to confirm that the Direct TV 3D signal is being outputted to his receiver, but that may be because his receiver is hdmi 1.4 . There is a possibility, that when you connect the hdmi output of the Direct TV receiver to the hdmi input of the Avertv HD DVR card, that the Direct TV receiver will think that it's not a compatible device, and won't output the signal. I haven't been able to confirm one way or another of this is the case.

fReAq believes that it "should" work. I would test all of this myself, because I have everything necessary except a PC that is powerful enough for the avertv HD DVR card. I don't have that card either. My PC is really old from like 2005, and it's not powerful enough for that capture card. I'm thinking of buying this capture card anyways, and trying to find somebody locally with a powerful enough PC, to try to test this out.

June 11th is approaching rapidly, this is the day that ESPN 3D begins! If anybody out there is able to test this out, please report back!
Seb
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: HELP, somebody with one of the older Samsung 3D plasmas

Post by Seb »

Anthony1 wrote:The only question right now, is whether Direct TV's 3D signal won't be outputted, if it's thinking that it's outputting to something that isn't 3D compatible. I do know of a guy that has a hdmi 1.4 receiver, and he was able to confirm that the Direct TV 3D signal is being outputted to his receiver, but that may be because his receiver is hdmi 1.4 . There is a possibility, that when you connect the hdmi output of the Direct TV receiver to the hdmi input of the Avertv HD DVR card, that the Direct TV receiver will think that it's not a compatible device, and won't output the signal. I haven't been able to confirm one way or another of this is the case.
You will probably have to use YPbPr component to connect the TV box to the AverTV card because of HDCP. The Hauppauge HDPVR and the AverTV HD box should will also allow you to record 3D shows, but you might not be able to watch them live.
Anthony1
Cross Eyed!

Post by Anthony1 »

Seb wrote:You will probably have to use YPbPr component to connect the TV box to the AverTV card because of HDCP. The Hauppauge HDPVR and the AverTV HD box should will also allow you to record 3D shows, but you might not be able to watch them live.
I don't think it's possible to output it via component. I mean, I think Direct TV's requirement is hdmi output. How would you be able to record them ? Wouldn't the HDCP be a problem with that?
fReAq
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by fReAq »

Im not sure about Component, that may be tricky, but HDMI from the DirectTV device will work with the capture card, even with HDCP.
What you should see in the Aver Media Center program when youve tuned to the 3d channel in DirectTV, is side by side video images, if you get that then it will 99.9% likely work with the stereoscopic player and checkerboard format.
Anthony1
Cross Eyed!

Post by Anthony1 »

fReAq wrote:Im not sure about Component, that may be tricky, but HDMI from the DirectTV device will work with the capture card, even with HDCP.
What you should see in the Aver Media Center program when youve tuned to the 3d channel in DirectTV, is side by side video images, if you get that then it will 99.9% likely work with the stereoscopic player and checkerboard format.
Why wouldn't HDCP affect it?
fReAq
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by fReAq »

I think your DirectTV provider would be encoding their content using HDCP for HDMI.
So you need cables and components that support that too is all.

Good luck mate! Its worth it.
EmerJency
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by EmerJency »

Anthony1 wrote:This is for the people that have the "old" 3D ready Samsung Plasmas. If you have a brand new 3D Samsung plasma, then ESPN 3D will definitely work, and you don't have anything to worry about. But for those of us that bought one of Samsung's "supposedly 3D readly" plasmas of a few years ago, it appears there might actually be a workaround to be able to watch ESPN 3D starting on June 11th. Here is what you need, and I'm not positive that this will work. fReAq, a member here, is claiming that this "should" work, but since he is in Australia, and doesn't use Direct TV, we don't know for sure. Maybe somebody here has the necessary equipment and can test it out.

Here is what you need:

1. A Samsung PN50A450 or PN42A450 plasma

2. Shutterglasses and an emitter that works with those plasmas

3. A Direct TV receiver that is 3D compatible. H21 to H24 receivers and HR21 to HR24 receivers are supposed to be 3D compatible.

4. A computer with a decent dual-core processor or better - Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz or Equivalent AMD CPU or better

5. An Avertv HD DVR Capture card with hdmi input installed in your PC

6. Stereoscopic Player for your PC

Ok, now this is how it would supposedly work. You would connect the HDMI output of your Direct TV receiver (has to be 3D compatible) to the HDMI input on your Avertv HD DVR Capture card. Then, you open up Stereoscopic player and select the "Live Video" option. You go into the options on the Stereoscopic player and have it set to DLP Checkerboard. Also, you need to make sure that the video card in your computer is set to either 1360 x 768 or 1024 x 768 (1360 x 768 is for the PN50A450 and 1024 x 768 is for the PN42A450).

The theory, is that the Avertv HD DVR capture card will take in the 1080i SBS 3D format that Direct TV uses, and Stereoscopic player will conver the 1080i SBS 3D format to DLP Checkerboard. As long as your PC's resolution is set to 1360 x 768 or 1024 x 768, it should work.

The only question right now, is whether Direct TV's 3D signal won't be outputted, if it's thinking that it's outputting to something that isn't 3D compatible. I do know of a guy that has a hdmi 1.4 receiver, and he was able to confirm that the Direct TV 3D signal is being outputted to his receiver, but that may be because his receiver is hdmi 1.4 . There is a possibility, that when you connect the hdmi output of the Direct TV receiver to the hdmi input of the Avertv HD DVR card, that the Direct TV receiver will think that it's not a compatible device, and won't output the signal. I haven't been able to confirm one way or another of this is the case.

fReAq believes that it "should" work. I would test all of this myself, because I have everything necessary except a PC that is powerful enough for the avertv HD DVR card. I don't have that card either. My PC is really old from like 2005, and it's not powerful enough for that capture card. I'm thinking of buying this capture card anyways, and trying to find somebody locally with a powerful enough PC, to try to test this out.

June 11th is approaching rapidly, this is the day that ESPN 3D begins! If anybody out there is able to test this out, please report back!
Would this work with the Samsung 3D DLP? Has anyone confirmed that this works at all with any legacy Samsung 3D tv's? :?

EJ

Return to “General Stereoscopic 3D Discussion”