Wich one should i get? IZ3d , zalman or Nvida3d vision ??

Recostar
Cross Eyed!

Wich one should i get? IZ3d , zalman or Nvida3d vision ??

Post by Recostar »

Hello everyone

Im new to the forum and would like to just say thank you ahead of time.I spend alot of time reading others spots here. This site has offerd up much insight for me and im very appriative of that. :)

I want to really jump into 3D and i dont really care about how much it cost. I just want the best 3D experiance. I heard that the IZ3D was plagued with ghousting. If so how bad is it ? have they fixed it? The zalmans getting reportes of not haveing the best 3D effect . I havent heard much about Nvidias 3d vision so i cant comment.

Im not sure what to get can you help me.

I dont really care about the money , its the experiance im after.
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Re: Wich one should i get? IZ3d , zalman or Nvida3d vision ??

Post by yuriythebest »

it really depends. assuming money is not an issue, do you already have a 3d capable monitor/tv like a DLP tv/projector?

anyhow you will indeed get less ghosting with the nvidia shutters, however shutterglasses, no matter how high the refresh rate will flicker which will cause eyestrain after a while. Plus with the iz3d you'll get 3 pairs of glasses. However with the nvidia solution you will indeed get less ghosting and from what I've heard their drivers eat less of the CPU since it's their hardware (btw I assume you have an nvidia video card).

Welcome to MTBS!!
Oculus Rift / 3d Sucks - 2D FTW!!!
Recostar
Cross Eyed!

Post by Recostar »

At the moment i have 2 Ati 3870's in cross fire. If the 3D vision gets the best experiance then i'll upgrade my GPU in a hart beet. .

As for getting a 100 Hrtz or higher CRT monitor , it should not be a problem. Im hopeing someone can post there experiance with these products hereso i have a comparision
The main games i want to play are WoW, Left 4 Dead, Half Life 2 , COD4 and 5. Theres a couple more but mainly them.

I dont care if it cost 1,000 to get things running as ong as itds the best 3D experiance.
Zeblade
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Zeblade »

Well I ordered the new Nvidia Vision. As nice and great Iz3d is it just has way to much ghosting for me. And I dont know anyone that has ever had eye strain from shudderglasses. I'm sure there out there I just dont know any.
ssiu
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by ssiu »

Haven't heard any development from Zalman for a while; I'd be extra careful if I am considering Zalman S3D monitor.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

I'd say go with the Nvidida 3D Vision with a 120hz monitor. In theory that would be the best solution I think. I've got a Zalman and its decent but the viewing angles could be better. With shutterglasses you don't have to worry about viewing angles really. Ghosting should be minimal at 120hz as well. Just my opinion, I'm sure you'll be happy with any solution.
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

I'd still recommend the iz3d monitor- the ghosting will be fixed soon with the new version of the glasses and the support is amazing. Plus no eyestrain and the ability to run on windows XP, plus cheaper. However as mentioned above, both solutions will leave you happy.
harbingeriz3d
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by harbingeriz3d »

I would try each 3 if it were available to you at your convinence. I have the IZ3D and yeah theres alot of ghosting (Even with the new glasses) and the pop out effect is lackluster in most of the games I play (left 4 dead, half life 2, rome total war, warcraft 3, call of duty 4). If you have really great depth perception (which I do, and which I notice when playing in S3D) I guess you'll like it, but I would try it out in a fry's first just to give it a go. It backs up as a great 2d monitor as well (a little expensive however) but is good quality and feels pretty durable to me.
Recostar
Cross Eyed!

Post by Recostar »

As far as i know the monitor you need to run Nvidias 3D vision isent out till april. I know you can run it on 100 hrts or higher CRT's but i dont want to resort to that.

I posted in IZ3Ds forums letting them know that the wife " OK'd" me to buy this monitor.
Heres the link

http://forum.iz3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=795" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Im still waiting on some more feedback from there comunity members as to how some of those games i listed run.
If i just new that Left 4 Dead and Fallout 3 was runing without Ghosting that would be enough for me to by this monitor.Actually World of Warcrafts a big one for me too. If those games ran without the Ghosting maybe by the time i played them to death they would have came out with better drivers and glasses that would fix the Ghosting for other games i like.

Really whats holding me back from Buying the IZ3D is the Ghosting
So what do you guys think. is there a chance for them to clear up the Ghosting issue within the next couple months or should i wait it out till april for Nvidias 3D vision?
chrisdfw
Cross Eyed!

Post by chrisdfw »

What you ultimately want depends on what type of immersion you want.

To me, less than a 42 inch screen doesn't provide realistic immersion and is just a nice gimmick.

The best 3d support is currently for the new Samsung Plasma/DLP and Mitsubishi DLP televisions with shutter glasses and the checkerboard 3d format that allows these to function.

The drawback is this use of checkerboard patterns that reduces resolution, but if the set can handle 1920X1080 then that drawback isn't supposed to be that noticeable.

I have heard some reviews say that the rear projection DLP's from those companies (ranging from 46 to 67 inches) have a ghost free experience once configured correctly.

Since you already have ATI cards, those are supposed to get free use of the IZ3D drivers for DLP TVs and the IZ3d drivers are rated pretty highly around here.

I have a Sumsung 42 inch 3d plasma ($700). COD4 on it in 3d is amazing. It's only 1024X768 so the checkerboard patter reducing resolution is a minor annoyance for on screen text. Plasma's tend to ghost a little but it is only noticed on some bright objects. Even with the checkerboard pattern and slight ghosting, it is an enjoyable experience and doubles as a good 42inch TV. The benefit of plasma is that it looks the same from all angles and is flat. The rear projection DLP's are about a foot deep and while it shouldn't ghost any, the brightness of the image may change from different positions in the room.

You really need to find a way to test the different solutions.
ssiu
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by ssiu »

chrisdfw wrote:... To me, less than a 42 inch screen doesn't provide realistic immersion and is just a nice gimmick ... I have a Sumsung 42 inch 3d plasma ($700). COD4 on it in 3d is amazing. It's only 1024X768 so the checkerboard patter reducing resolution is a minor annoyance for on screen text.
How far away do you sit from your 42" plasma, and do you feel the resolution is good enough at that distance?

I think immersion has to do with FOV (so size of screen + distance from screen) ... With 22" 1680x1050 S3D monitor we can sit closer (e.g. 1 foot away instead of 2 feet) and the resolution is still fine. With 42" TV you'd be like 3 feet away to get equivalent FOV? At that distance would the 1024x768 resolution feel too low?
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

chrisdfw wrote: To me, less than a 42 inch screen doesn't provide realistic immersion and is just a nice gimmick.
kinda hard for me to comment on this since I've never experienced such large 3d :) however I'd pick the iz3d 22' over a regular flat 22' any day.
chrisdfw
Cross Eyed!

Post by chrisdfw »

ssiu wrote:
How far away do you sit from your 42" plasma, and do you feel the resolution is good enough at that distance?

I think immersion has to do with FOV (so size of screen + distance from screen) ... With 22" 1680x1050 S3D monitor we can sit closer (e.g. 1 foot away instead of 2 feet) and the resolution is still fine. With 42" TV you'd be like 3 feet away to get equivalent FOV? At that distance would the 1024x768 resolution feel too low?
I sit about 4.5 feet away and the resolution with the checkerboarding is a little less than what I prefer.

My best setup is my Sharp DLP projector @1024X768 and 85hz page flipping at 5 feet away and projecting on a 4 foot wide by 3 foot tall screen (60 inch diag). The FOV on that turned out to be 45 degrees which is the most immersive and what most games default to for FOV. Unfortunately that setup only works on the old Nvidia drivers and 7900 cards (or older) and won't support the most modern games.

In all my attempts at being immersed by 3d, the best results were at 5 feet away on that 60 inch diag screen. Your eyes are focussed at the screen 5 feet away and objects appear life size. If you fly or drive then the yoke or wheel looks realistically sized in front of you compared to what is on the screen and immersion can't get better than that.

I used to play on a 21 inch tube in 3d and no matter how close you sit your brain still knows you are focussing on something really close and the immersion just isn't there.
angelsinraver
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by angelsinraver »

i have an iz3d and i personally feel that im kinda attuned to ghosting. (i can see the polarization layer, i know its weird and no its not the monitor) but after a while playing with it the ghosting for the most part gets ignored and unless you look for it you don't really notice it. my dad and some of my friends report different levels of ghosting (using yuri's ghosting test picture, i can see all the numbers :/) but anyway i have not had a chance to see the projector setup but i do remember a friend of mine had the shutter glasses solution a while back and it gave me a serious headache after a very short amount of time. so personally i would have to say that the iz3d monitor is the best for you money right now, but that's just personal preference. and i can say that left for dead looks absolutely amazing and the ghosting even for me is barely noticeable.

i would definitely say that you should try to find a way to experience the different choices before you buy, and watch out for the fry's displays of the iz3d i have heard of at least one case where the system was set up wrong.

hope it helps
-sin
Ignorance is the night of the mind, a night without moon or stars.
funkee
Cross Eyed!

Post by funkee »

yuriythebest wrote:I'd still recommend the iz3d monitor- the ghosting will be fixed soon with the new version of the glasses and the support is amazing. Plus no eyestrain and the ability to run on windows XP, plus cheaper. However as mentioned above, both solutions will leave you happy.
Are you saying that the NVIDIA solution will give me eye strain and the iZ3D will not? If so, what type of eye strain are you talking about? The flicker? Seems to me there are more sources of eye strain.
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

funkee wrote:
yuriythebest wrote:I'd still recommend the iz3d monitor- the ghosting will be fixed soon with the new version of the glasses and the support is amazing. Plus no eyestrain and the ability to run on windows XP, plus cheaper. However as mentioned above, both solutions will leave you happy.
Are you saying that the NVIDIA solution will give me eye strain and the iZ3D will not? If so, what type of eye strain are you talking about? The flicker? Seems to me there are more sources of eye strain.
I suggest you talk to someone who already has the new nvidia glasses so he can clarify about the eyestrain, but yeah due to the fact that it's an active solution there is a good chance of eyestrain or at least a 'tiring' of the eyes. Again I'm speaking from experience with previous shutterglasses that were not from nvidia, and I'm sure nvidia's are better- it's the degree of "betterness" I'm unsure about. If indeed nvidia's glasses are somehow miraculously different and don't cause eyestrain that will only be a good thing.
furii
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by furii »

Recostar wrote:As far as i know the monitor you need to run Nvidias 3D vision isent out till april. I know you can run it on 100 hrts or higher CRT's but i dont want to resort to that.

The Samsung 2233RZ 120Hz 22" LCD is available now. Retailers are offering it as a bundle with the glasses.

I haven't experienced the IZ3d or zalman solutions, but I'm really enjoying the nVidia glasses. I haven't seen any ghosting and I haven't had any problems with head aches. It just seems to work well without all of the negatives that people usually associate with shutter glasses.
chrisdfw
Cross Eyed!

Post by chrisdfw »

Does the Samsung use the checkerboard pattern or does it use the full resolution for each eye?

I am guessing it is checkerboard unless it has 2 DVI cables that get hooked to two DVI ports on the graphics card.

EDIT:

I just found the user manual online. Apparently it accepts either 1680 X 1050 @ 60hz or 1650 X 1050 @ 120hz over the one DVI cable. I thought it might take 2 cables but I guess that bandwidth limitation is only for HDMI and not DVI.

That's pretty cool and should allow full resolution per eye.

I just wish it were bigger. Anyone seen anything about a 42 inch or larger display that will take 120hz properly?

Will any of those DLP projectors take 120hz or will they use checkerboard?
furii
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by furii »

Full rez. It uses a dual link DVI cable. You can actually hook up two 60Hz displays to one dvi port using a splitter. The 120Hz monitors requires a dual link dvi cable that hooks up to one of the dvi ports on your video card.
zoomin
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by zoomin »

I made a thread a while ago about whether I should pick iZ3D or Zalman. In the end I chose zalman and as a result I whole heartedly reccomend the iZ3D. :P

The Zalmans not so bad, but as far as support is looking the grass is definately greener on the other side. Although that might change now that they've released their own stereo 3d product. Besides that this Zalman monitor is actually a fantastic 2d monitor and in 3d it works fairly well. My main issue would have to be ghosting. Mainly noticable in games with bright lights in the background (say, most of them). Id say your best bet is to either wait until ghosting is gone on the iZ3D or go with the glasses
pixel67
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by pixel67 »

I think what should really drive your purchase is how you plan to use it (do you want a desktop experience or a home theater type experience). If $ is no object and you have the extra room, then you can build the ultimate "man cave" by using one of the new DepthQ projectors and Nvidia 3D Vision. Toss in 7.1 surround sound and your in business, just be prepared to fork our a couple grand. I had an Infocus X3 projector at one time and while I love my Sammy HDTV, there just simply isn't anything like a life size 3D experience (even though the low refresh caused flickering)! My kids used to come downstairs just to ride the "virtual rollercoaster" games. Makes me jealous of when Neil was demonstrating UT3 (I think) on a RealD projection screen with Epic and IZ3D a while back!

On the subject of flicker, the latest reviews have been very positive and for me flicker has been a non issue and imperceptable. But, and it is a BIG but as yurithebest stated, it is subjective. I personally haven't experienced eyestrain with my current setup and can game for hours without issues.
Nvidia 3D Vision Drivers
GTX 280/SLI
Optoma Pro350W
Xpand X102 Glasses
wnielsenbb
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by wnielsenbb »

Of course even better is dual projection with polarizers. Then you can use passive glasses. Best of all you can play at a full 1920x1080 with dual 1080p projectors. No refresh problems, no reduced resolution.
Of course you are moving up into the 6 grand range, but it wil be fun.

Warren.
*just $1700 to go*
coolrey
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: Wich one should i get? IZ3d , zalman or Nvida3d vision ?

Post by coolrey »

so im trying to buy a 3d kit for my set up but havet found anyone who can clearly answer my questions, so im turning to you guys.

if i get 3d vision am i solely restricted to gaming on my pc with the emitter and glasses?

is there any way to output checkerboard with for my wd-60c9 mitsubishi 3d ready tv?

if so, can i just buy a pair of xpand 102 glasses and use them to play my games while enabling 3d through my nvidia control panel settings?

if not can i use a pair of xpand 102 glasses to play games on my computer while using a iz3d driver or other checkerboard output for my dlp? are there any restrictions to this set up if possible?

ultimately i want to know if i can just buy the xpand glasses that use dlp link and not be restricted in any means and if i am what are those restrictions when comparing it to the 3d vision kit.

thanks for the info and hope to hear from you guys soon!

Return to “General Stereoscopic 3D Discussion”