Dual screen with different resolutions

patstew
One Eyed Hopeful

Dual screen with different resolutions

Post by patstew »

I was considering attempting to build one of those planar half mirror set up with two screens, but I can't use two identical screens because I can't get another of the screen I have. Instead I was going to use my current 22" 1680x1050 screen, and get another 24.6" 1920x1080 screen. The dot pitch only differs by 0.001mm (0.282 vs 0.283) so there would only be a ~1.7mm difference in width across 1650 pixels which I hope wouldn't be very noticeable (?). The question is what would the IZ3d drivers do in this situation:
  1. Cry, and refuse to work.
  2. Output to each screen at native resolution (I doubt it can render to 2 different resolutions so this would surprise me)
  3. Output to each screen at native resolution but put black bars around a 1680x1050 image on the bigger screen (This would be ideal. Seems unlikely, but I thought it could be possible because I think it does that to low res games?)
  4. Output to both screens at 1680x1050 (Seems most likely. In this case I would have to make sure the screen has 1:1 pixel mode.)
Anyone know the answer/want to shoot my ideas down in flames?

Before you suggest it, I am aware that I could just get another 22" screen of a different make, it just seems like less of a waste of money if I can get a bigger, high res screen into the bargain. Or I could just get the zalman since it's quite cheap in the uk these days. The only thing that puts me off that is the viewing angle. Also, can anyone with a planar set up say how it compares to the zalman/IZ3d screen/E-D glasses? I've only ever used E-D glasses before. (Sorry if that's a bit off-topic in this forum)
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Dual screen with different resolutions

Post by cybereality »

Well I don't have a planar setup, but its reasonable to assume you need 2 identical screens, or at least the same size and resolution. Personally I have the Zalman and I'm pretty happy with it. I would recommend getting the Zalman and if you still want something better you can use it for your planar setup.
patstew
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by patstew »

The zalman wouldn't work with a planar setup, because the screens need to be linearly polarised at 45 degrees. The point is that if the drivers will output an image with black bars (as they do with low resolution games), then the two screens would be the same size and resolution, to within 2mm.

How bad is the vertical viewing angle thing that lots of people seem to complain about on the zalman? I would like it to be possible for more than one person to watch at once.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Oh yeah, I forgot the polarization on Zalman would interfere. Duh!

And yeah, the vertical view angle on the Zalman is dreadfully small. Its still manageable for 1 person but very difficult for multiple people. For the price, though, it doesn't get much better.
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

Since the zalman uses circular polarized light it would probably work in a planar setup by applying a linear polarizer to it (free angle). Some very minor colordifferencies may appear.
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D

Return to “iZ3D Legacy Drivers”