My gf7900gt is slowly dying. Anyone know if a reflow work?

Likay
Petrif-Eyed

My gf7900gt is slowly dying. Anyone know if a reflow work?

Post by Likay »

This actually works!
My bros ps3 died. I disassembled it, cleaned cpu and gpuchips from thermopaste and heated the board to 300° on the memories, cpu and the gpu. Applied thermopaste, assembled it and now it works like a charm.
I wonder if it's applicable to the 7900 i have as well. It's hard to find new ones and if the reflow won't work i'll try and replace some capacitors.
I bother for a 7900 because it's the only card i have which supports older games in s-3d. I get back with eventual progress/fiasko after the 7900's travel to hell and back.
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: My gf7900gt is slowly dying. Anyone know if a reflow wor

Post by cybereality »

Evidently baking busted cards in the oven can revive them:
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1421792" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Try at your own risk.
Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by Neil »

Do you have a low fat recipe?

Regards,
Neil
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

:D

The "holy crap it worked" was exactly my feeling when my bros ps3 came to life again.
Anyway got nothing to lose. The card won't even run properly in 2d-mode anymore. Lol. I rather have my 8800 fried than the 7900...
I'll go the heating gun approach instead of the oven though. I'll get back with cake and a good mood! 8-)
iondrive
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by iondrive »

I had two hard drives constantly clicking once. One got fixed after I put it on the stove for a while over the pilot light (gas stove), and the other started working after I put it in the freezer for an hour or two. I still use these drives for non-essential data. The stove-top fix was repeatable/confirmable to work when heated and not-work when unheated, but the freezer one was not really repeatable like that. That was some time ago and now the drives work like normal after having magically healed themselves... sounds like a good nerdy children's story: "iondrive and the magical self-healing hard-drives". :lol:

later,

--- me ---
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

Update: The 7900 became worse of the treatment. However: I didn't reflow it directly but took the fan off, cleaned the card and cooler (not much dust in it anyway) and wiped off the old thermopaste. I applied new paste, assembled the card and tried it again with no difference. Finally took the card out, disassembled it and reflowed it (especially the memories which i thought was the problem) and gpu with a heating gun. After trying the card again it actually became worse so no hope for this card. I managed to get a used 7900gtx cheaply but unfortunately one of the outputs is having a bad image. :/ Lol. No more old school. :geek:

Return to “General Hardware & Software Technical Support”