Recommend movie makers for 3D

Shilar
One Eyed Hopeful

Recommend movie makers for 3D

Post by Shilar »

I want to make a 3D intro for a S3D DVD pair (I individualized the channels of a stereo movie, and plan to put them on separate DVDs), and wonder this: What program would be good for taking my logo and making in a 3D image? I also like the end to be glass breaking towards the viewer, so...
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Re: Recommend movie makers for 3D

Post by yuriythebest »

Shilar wrote:(I individualized the channels of a stereo movie, and plan to put them on separate DVDs)
why on earth would you wanna do that?

What program would be good for taking my logo and making in a 3D image?
any 3d modelling package will do like 3ds max/maya/blender3d. You just render from 2 cameras. There are now detailed tutorials on stereoscopic rendering for all of these.
Oculus Rift / 3d Sucks - 2D FTW!!!
Shilar
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Shilar »

yuriythebest wrote:
Shilar wrote:(I individualized the channels of a stereo movie, and plan to put them on separate DVDs)
why on earth would you wanna do that?
Special Project. Don't worry, it works.

What program would be good for taking my logo and making in a 3D image?
any 3d modelling package will do like 3ds max/maya/blender3d. You just render from 2 cameras. There are now detailed tutorials on stereoscopic rendering for all of these.
Well, didn't mean 3D as in computer 3D. I meant stereo movie. I need to know of a movie maker, not 3D renderer, to make the movie stereo.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Yeah, you would probably want to do that in a 3D package like Maya. You can, of course, use flat quads with 2D graphics on them and just offset them to get the stereo 3d effect.
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

Shilar wrote:I meant stereo movie. I need to know of a movie maker, not 3D renderer, to make the movie stereo.
oh - I answered your question when you asked it in the shoutbox
there is a nice free program called "stereo movie maker" for editing 3d video and converting between different 3d formats. for more complex editing I suggest editing in crosseyed in a regular video editing package
Shilar
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Shilar »

yuriythebest wrote:
Shilar wrote:I meant stereo movie. I need to know of a movie maker, not 3D renderer, to make the movie stereo.
oh - I answered your question when you asked it in the shoutbox
there is a nice free program called "stereo movie maker" for editing 3d video and converting between different 3d formats. for more complex editing I suggest editing in crosseyed in a regular video editing package
The issue: I don't have the 3D intro yet. See the logo in my sig? That's what I want to make stereo. The image is made using Paint Shop Pro 7 and Animation Studio 2.

As far as video editors, any recommendations? I currently like Windows Movie Maker, but to create the stereo effect need help there.
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

Creating a 3D logo from an image with Blender :
http://www.blendernation.com/tutorials/ ... ng-a-logo/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Stereoscopic rendering in Blender :
http://www.noeol.de/s3d/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Blender : add some depth with stereo :
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Blender_3D ... ith_stereo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Blender Video Sequence Editor :
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:Manual/Sequencer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Shilar
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Shilar »

Fredz wrote:Creating a 3D logo from an image with Blender :
http://www.blendernation.com/tutorials/ ... ng-a-logo/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Stereoscopic rendering in Blender :
http://www.noeol.de/s3d/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Blender : add some depth with stereo :
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Blender_3D ... ith_stereo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Blender Video Sequence Editor :
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:Manual/Sequencer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For a second there, I thought it was to make a stereo image.... it's still 2D, just graphically rendered.

Ok, little more detail? I have the background logo only ready (the calligraphy in the back). I have the name that is displayed in front. I want to make a non-3D (as in eliminate Blender) stereo image out of the individual parts. That means I want the name in front to seemingly floating in front of the calligraphy.

/already have 3D-rendering software.
//does NOT want a 3D-rendered signature.
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

If you want your 2D logo rendered in stereo without modifying it, you still need to use a 3d modeling package to generate correct views for each camera. With Blender you've got all the tools to do that for free, thanks to the stereoscopic cameras and the video sequence editor.

You can go a simpler route by just displaying the logo in the two images with some shifting, but the stereoscopic effect will be incorrect because of the missing perspective.
Shilar
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Shilar »

Fredz wrote:If you want your 2D logo rendered in stereo without modifying it, you still need to use a 3d modeling package to generate correct views for each camera. With Blender you've got all the tools to do that for free, thanks to the stereoscopic cameras and the video sequence editor.

You can go a simpler route by just displaying the logo in the two images with some shifting, but the stereoscopic effect will be incorrect because of the missing perspective.

I'll try it, but hopefully it won't modify it. ;P
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

Shilar wrote:
For a second there, I thought it was to make a stereo image.... it's still 2D, just graphically rendered.
it IS to make the image in stereoscopic 3d.
BlackShark
Certif-Eyable!

Post by BlackShark »

Adding perspective to a flat object is like using toed-in cameras and is incorrect 3D.

If your object is flat and parallel to the screen surface, then the proper 3D projection is also flat and parallel to the screen surface.
Passive 3D forever !
DIY polarised dual-projector setup :
2x Epson EH-TW3500 (2D 1080p)
Xtrem Screen Daylight 2.0, for polarized 3D
3D Vision gaming with signal converter : VNS Geobox 501
Shilar
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Shilar »

BlackShark wrote:Adding perspective to a flat object is like using toed-in cameras and is incorrect 3D.

If your object is flat and parallel to the screen surface, then the proper 3D projection is also flat and parallel to the screen surface.

I guess making it where the name seems to float over the logo in stereo 3D is not one's cup of tea? Sorry, that's what I really want. Making it into a movie will take more time, I know, and was hoping for a more simplistic approach (My best experience is with Poser and DAZ Studio for 3D), like creating a 3D effect from an existing movie maker (like Windows MM, which uses Directx to hit the special effect I like: glass breaking).

And as far as Blender: It would possibly modify the image (I have to trace the logo, which is hard to do easily with a mouse or trackball), therein importing the logo is out....

NEWS: Found a Stereo Painter, which could possibly be used. ESP3 Pro (which is now free). http://www.zenratai.com/software/stereo ... /index.htm
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

BlackShark wrote:Adding perspective to a flat object is like using toed-in cameras and is incorrect 3D.
Perspective has nothing to do with toe-in or parallel, I was only talking about cameras here. If you want a convincing 3d effect, even with a 2d image, you need to take perspective into account for the result to be correct.

For the glass breaking effect in Blender, you may have a look at this video tutorial :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tE5KvDkOcc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BlackShark
Certif-Eyable!

Post by BlackShark »

I don't agree Fredz.

If the picture is just a series of 2D images all parallel to the screen surface, layered on top of each other, then a simple 2D horizontal slide of the picture will produce the correct stereo-image since the perspective from the two cameras produce absolutely no modifications.

The glass breaking effect however is a completely different beast. As the logo breaks into pieces, some parts will leave the parallel position and be at an angle with the screen. For these elements the perspective needs to be recomputed.
Also these effects are usually fixed in the video editing software and do not allow the user to tweak them, let alone change the position of the camera. I do not know all the video editing software but almost all of them generate these effects entirely on the CPU, so there is no possible work around to make them work in S3D.
If you really want this glass breaking effect, I don't see any way around using a 3D modelling software.

Also remember that the glass breaking effect is a 2D effect only : you cannot glass-break a stereo3D picture, you have to break each individual 2D layer separately or break the entire 3D model as a 3D object.
Passive 3D forever !
DIY polarised dual-projector setup :
2x Epson EH-TW3500 (2D 1080p)
Xtrem Screen Daylight 2.0, for polarized 3D
3D Vision gaming with signal converter : VNS Geobox 501
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

You are right BlackShark, I thought a parallel 2D image would exhibit some sort of distorsion if observed from a camera, but I was wrong.

Return to “General Stereoscopic 3D Discussion”