what should I get I?

Don't know the first thing about S-3D? Just bought your first pair of 3D glasses? Trying to figure out what to buy? Post HERE!
allworthit
One Eyed Hopeful

what should I get I?

Post by allworthit »

Hi everybody I like the non bias veiw on the website, so I figured this place is probably one of the best to find a solution.

Here's my problem, I'm after a decent 3d screen/glasses but I'm not sure what to get that best suites my system. Money is'nt the issue but I don't want something that'll be dissapointing. Here is a list of components from my pc build arriving shortly.

It's a multimedia/gaming case:

1xGMC Noblesse K2 Ebony Multimedia PC case (with remote)
6GB Corsair TR3X6G1600C7 DDR3-1600 (PC12800) CL7
1xEVGA NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX480 1536MB GDDR5
1xWindows 7 Ultimate - Full retail version with 32 and 64bit
1xPSU 100% modular 1100W (Peak)
1xAsus P6X58D Premium mainboard - please note that this item might change to a Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5
1xIntel Core i7-930 CPU
1xCPU Liquid Cooling module
2x1TB 64MB cache HDDs (Western Digital)
1xDVDRW 22x
1xTri TV tuner

Oh this still makes me drool, Please tell me or give me some idea's on what's best thanks.
1xMini HDMI to HDMI
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: what should I get I?

Post by cybereality »

Well, welcome to the forum. And wow, that looks like some rig you are building there.

Hmm.. hard to say there is one perfect solution but I can tell you whats out there. Probably the prime candidate to look at is the Nvidia 3D Vision. You can get a 24" 120Hz monitor from Acer or Alienware for around $500. Resolution wise they are good at full 1080P but with some minor ghosting on the top of the screen. There are also 22" 3D Vision monitors but I don't know why you'd go with that given the choice. Another option is the Zalman Trimon 22" 3D monitor which sells for $300. It uses polarized glasses so there is no flicker but at the cost of lowered resolution. The Zalman also has low ghosting which is nice but is only 1680x1050 (halfed in 3d mode). Zalman also has a 1080P model that just came out and a 24" one coming soon. There is also the iz3D monitor at $300 but it has reports of significant ghosting so I can't really recommend it. Those are all the PC monitors on the market at the moment. Otherwise you will have to look into HDTVs or projectors. On the HDTV front the Mitsubishi DLPs are supposed to be pretty good and you can pick up a 60" 1080P model for around $1000. For projectors I think the best at the moment is the Acer H5360 ($700) which would work with Nvidia 3D Vision. There are a few other options of course, but that is the basic run-down.

Personally I use the Zalman Trimon monitor and I am pretty happy with it. The quality of the picture is nice and I don't mind the loss of resolution much. If I upgrade I might buy the 24" model since it should be the same thing but better. I also like that I can use multiple 3D drivers with the Zalman and YouTube3D natively supports it. But if resolution is a big issue for you then you may want to go with something like the Alienware 3D Vision bundle. But I haven't seen that in person, nor have I seen the iz3D, so its hard to make a fair comparison. I am just going on reports I have heard. Hope that helps.
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

hi! there are maaany review threads for most 3d solutions in this forum - also many comparison threads
Oculus Rift / 3d Sucks - 2D FTW!!!
allworthit
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by allworthit »

That's true there sure are many reviews. it's a shame that there are a few drawbacks to this technology. I thought on getting the Alienware OptX™ AW2310 with the nvidia 3d vision shutter glasses anyone with thoughts on this?
Dom
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Dom »

Hi, I use Nvidia 3D Vision. Its quite good but ain't perfect. It suffers from blurring, real clarity and the 3d glasses are defective from manufacturing. By this I mean they have the glasses not shutting enough black or total black to block the next hertz or frame. Its a solid choice for quick 3d though and works straight out of the box. I heard so many complaints about 3d vision that people bought the monitor and glasses, then ended up taking them back for refund. If you have no concern for the purchase price I suggest you get a new 3DTV and just put the 46 inch on your desk and use it. It will give you better imersion than a small 24 inch, even if it is 1080p. The only drawback to this is the acer and alienware have true 1080p 3d and the newer 3DTV's only have 720p3D pc gaming I think, or maybe 1080i 3D? Maybe someone who has one of those sets hooked to their pc can give more details. Anyways if you like to upgrade get the acer or alienware cause you will be able to add 3 of them to your system later on with a sli setup, Nvidia Surround and if you don't like to upgrade then get a new 3DTV and Nvidia will support it with their 3DTV Play software that was supposed to be out in April.

Nvidia also don't support OpenGL or earlier versions of directx only dx8,9,10,11, also if you have a big enough computer room you could always add a 3D projector and have both the acer, alienware monitor and projector. Thats what I do, use my 3D monitor for gaming and the projector for watching tv/movies and some arcade/controller gamepad games.
http://www.cns-nynolyt.com/files/doms-systemspecs.html My System specs In HTML

Cyberia on Youtube

__________________________________________________________________________________________
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

I heard this guy bought a 3d plasma and the only glasses he found acceptable were the nvidias and he tried the xpand reald stuff...
:shutter

so its conflicting to say at least. Im beginning to think this is not the best way for DLP to make 3d. To say , I would want mechanical shutter cause there s no amount of light these glasses can't suck out. It s not matter of shuttering , or the polarizer film , but both are the real deal killer for me. Sure its good for post apocalyptic stuff like metro, haha.
-Biased for 0 Gen HMD's to hell and back must be one hundred percent hell bent bias!
allworthit
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by allworthit »

True so very true. I like the idea of getting a projecter for future 3d movie watching for my family. I may just stick with the alienware monitor. Here's what I thought the great thing about the alienware monitor. It can do 1080p it's at 120hz so playing games even without 3d will be awesome, also my kids and my family are only watching a 32 inch sony bravia lcd tv. So if I buy a 46 inche tv screen I'll end up with the same problem before of sharing it (greedy bastard I know). My idea is that if I show up to a big lan party, competition will be key in gaming and lugging a smaller monitor will be easy. I've heard some funny reviews in regards to game performance with this 3d technology that it's quite hard to keep a competitive edge on other people regarding fps games. For future reference I may invest more money into it by getting a projector maybe 2 if that's required sounds like a headache setting up, but that way I may just be able to suite the needs of all concerned in my family.

It's a bummer about the motion blur of the 3d vision glasses, perhaps lowering the brightness may help a little, just an idea. Is nvidia looking at solutions for this problem cause they tried to make the 3d market their sole thing. If they screw this up ati will have an overall advantage e.g. price, graphics power, 3d capability (iz3d). A positive future I sense for ati.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Yeah, the Alienware is not a bad solution. I sometimes think about buying it but I may wait to see if anything better comes out. Still, overall its a solid choice.
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

LCD screens have motion blur . The glasses dont blur. They have a leakage. I don know why they say theres no ghosting, it ghosts liek hell for me.

BTW , DLP projector is better in contrast, better in motion than LCD, its 2 times better in motion because of better fps. 720p is such a small price to pay.
-Biased for 0 Gen HMD's to hell and back must be one hundred percent hell bent bias!
allworthit
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by allworthit »

Just an update I purchased the Series 7 55inch (UA55C7000) http://www.samsung.com/nz/consumer/tv-a ... returnurl=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; I would thoroughly recommend it to anyone looking at purchasing A BIG LED 3D TV. It's great for all family to enjoy. A little footnote however make sure you buy a 3d blu ray capable player as the tv has a 2d - 3d conversion which in it's self is great, but it ain't the 3d you would really like to enjoy. I have'nt been that impressed, but if you get a samsung BD-C6900 3d capable blu ray player it'll be future proof for sure.
Dom
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Dom »

Wow you got a serious 3d system and I am real jelious. Anyways I wanted to send you the link for Nvidia's 3DTV Play if you have not seen it yet. Look here:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/3D_TV_play.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You should sign up with them so they know you need that software. Only if you are using your pc with your tv set. dunno

And also since you have that new 3DTV you will be able to enjoy PS3 games on it too. I would'nt worry about your setup going out of style or obsoletion cause you picked out something good.
http://www.cns-nynolyt.com/files/doms-systemspecs.html My System specs In HTML

Cyberia on Youtube

__________________________________________________________________________________________
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

You should also be able to use the IZ3D driver in side-by-side mode with the Samsung if you want to game with something while waiting for Nvidia 3DTV Play.
allworthit
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by allworthit »

Hi there how do you enable side by side mode. I've downloaded a trial of the iz3d drivers and I'm still awaiting for my new pc to be built so I'm using my old computer for now. It has a ati 4800 series card.

Anyhelp would be great
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

You have to install it with the full install. Then select all the outputs you want. Then in the iz3d control center use the drop-down menu to select side-by-side.
allworthit
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by allworthit »

thanks for your help. This tv given half a chance really does 3d well with iz3d drivers. Been trying a few different games with this tv and OMFG it looks bumpy errrm the distances and 3d look are really different, might be the size of the screen but man you can really see 3d stuff coming out of the screen. Something that will take some time to get used too. I really like the idea how you can tweak the 3d with this iz3d, strange how a little tweaking changes the outlook of everything. Games I tried, Overlord 2 (ok but not so great), Battlefield 2 bad company 2 (now this game looked really great apart from being kicked off by punkbuster, the whole dual directx detected). Looking forward to trying more games. The iz3d drivers with this screen should be compulsory as it stops eye fatigue given a little tweaking as well the whole 2d-3d enabled can really screw you up on this screen but coupled with iz3d and it's damn straight awesome. I would thoroughly recommend this screen to anyone who's got iz3d. I'm ganna try it with the latest evga gtx 480 soon so I'll keep you all updated. But holy Sh*T this is really good value as in entertainment.
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

how bright?

Engaged 2d / 3d any difference? What stages of brightness loss?
allworthit
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by allworthit »

I assume you mean the brightness will be lost due to the shutter glasses. this is where it gets interesting, it's only noticable when you look at a non 3d screen for me, this is how I check weither the glasses are on or not. Have'nt had the motion blur problem yet, however I'm still going through testing stages so far so I will keep you updated. Also there are many options for changing brightness with this led tv. Hope this helps you so far
allworthit
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by allworthit »

The 2d/3d option on the tv can make supposedly any 2d content to 3d. That's kinda bullshit but throw in the iz3d with this you'll get 3d. I can't compare this product with anything else yet as this is my first 3d screen. I will however still purchase the alienware monitor for my new computer with nvidia 3d kit. I have a feeling I maybe wrong though, there will be different 3d glasses or options for this tv as there are already 6 different 3d options to choose from already not sure what todo with them. Doe's the checkered, side by side, up and down and many more. You guys might know more about this then me. I found this tv for what it does to be quite cheap. One other thing it's probably important to get a 3d blu ray player preferably from samsung as the blu ray play I bought does'nt support 3d blu ray. I'm trading it in for the Samsung BD-c6900 as the movie 'Monsters vs Aliens' did'nt play 3d too well. And that's with the so called 2d->3d mode engaged. There pretty much ain't any brightness lost.
allworthit
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by allworthit »

Ah here we go a detailed list of what this little bad boy can do.

2d-3d = changes a 2d image to 3d.
side by side = displays two images next to each other
Top & bottom = Displays one image above the another
Line by Line = displays the images for the left and right eye alternately in rows.
Vertical Stripe = Displays the images for the left and right eye alternately in columns
Checker Board = Displays the images for the left and right eye alternately in pixels
Frequency = Displays the images for the left and right eye alternately in frames.

That's pretty much what the tv does and supports so far.

Return to “I'm New To Stereoscopic 3D!”