Quake3 not rendering in stereo

Discussion of legacy stereoscopic 3D gaming hardware and software (e.g. NVIDIA XP stereoscopic 3D drivers).
gamma
One Eyed Hopeful

Quake3 not rendering in stereo

Post by gamma »

Yesterday my first S-3D hardware arrived 8) Unfortunately, when I swapped out my ATI card with my FX5200 I discovered the card was dead. Same with my Ti4200. Guess I should store them in anti-static bags :P Found a couple of old MX440s from salvaged PCs. While crap, it works and I installed the 91.31 drivers and got the Medical test image and the Nvidia test program both to show in S-3D :D

So I started digging around for some of my old(GF2 compatable) games, and thought Q3 might be good for a blast, as Ive heard a lot of positive reviews of its S-3D compatability. However, the game wont render in stereo at all. THe only thing that is rendered in stereo are the Laser sight crosshairs, but becasue the rest of the image is 2-D, my brain resolves the laser sight as two dots, so really nothing is 3D :lol:

Unreal Tournament works, its by default a D3D game(Q3 is OGL), Ill try it in OpenGL later and see if the problem is with the renderer or not. In the meantime, are there any 'extra' things I have to do in order to make Quake3 work in stereo?
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

You need a driver that supports opengl. Not everyone does that. Try google for 93.81 forceware and stereo. Think you might have some luck with these.
http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=1689 Stereodriver
http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_downl ... 93.81.html Forcewaredriver

Tell me if you're having any luck or not.

cheers
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
gamma
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by gamma »

cheers Likay, Ill try them out when I get a chance after the christmas festivities are over :)
LukePC1
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Re: Quake3 not rendering in stereo

Post by LukePC1 »

gamma wrote: Unreal Tournament works, its by default a D3D game(Q3 is OGL), Ill try it in OpenGL later and see if the problem is with the renderer or not. In the meantime, are there any 'extra' things I have to do in order to make Quake3 work in stereo?
So you tried Q3 in D3D mode? If yes, I think changing it to OGL should do the trick. I think even the 'old' 91.31 drivers are supporting Open GL. OGL is better for certain other games, too.
Play Nations at WAR with this code to get 5.000$ as a Starterbonus:
ayqz1u0s
http://mtbs3d.com/naw/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AMD x2 4200+ 2gb Dualchannel
GF 7900gs for old CRT with Elsa Revelator SG's
currently 94.24 Forceware and 94.24 Stereo with XP sp2!
gamma
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by gamma »

nah, Q3 cannot be run in D3D

Havent tried much yet though because something managed to screw up my OS and Ive only just got back into my PC :evil:
gamma
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by gamma »

well, fixed my nvatabus.sys error, installed the 93.81 drivers, but Q3 is still no stereo :? If the problem is OpenGL, I guess its not so big a deal, as to my understanding, most newer games use D3D anyway. But people have been playing Q3 in stereo for ages though, so Im not sure whats up.
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

Doom3, Quake4 and Prey works in 3d with newer drivers and those are all opengl. Sounds very strange. I had great with 93.81 combo and i still use it from time to time when newer drivers gives up on newer games. Too bad though. These games are great in 3d and i guess doom 3 is too.

cheers
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
gamma
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by gamma »

Im thinking the problem may be the drivers not fully supporting the old GF2 card. I tried a couple of other OpenGL apps, Roller Coaster sim did nothing, and UT in OGL just went very dark when activating stereo. Im hoping to borrow a 6600GT tomorrow and try it out. Otherwise Ill be buying the best nvidia AGP card I can get ASAP, Im getting sick of being told my card is not supported when I try and run any of my games.
LukePC1
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by LukePC1 »

If the 6600 doesn't work, newer cards won't, too. If the 6600 works, every series 7 card should, too. (Maybe faster or slower, that depends...)
If you could buy a 8600 or something for AGP, it will not work, until Nvidia releases new drivers for Series 8 cards. Maybe they release a new driver for Series 8 and Vista, but they said the same last year :(

I thought mx440 was a GF4?
If you want to run it, you might have more luck with OLD drivers.
Play Nations at WAR with this code to get 5.000$ as a Starterbonus:
ayqz1u0s
http://mtbs3d.com/naw/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AMD x2 4200+ 2gb Dualchannel
GF 7900gs for old CRT with Elsa Revelator SG's
currently 94.24 Forceware and 94.24 Stereo with XP sp2!
gamma
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by gamma »

the 6600gt worked, but was PCI-E so I had to borrow the entire PC ;)

Youre right, I made a mistake, the MX440s were released with the 4 series cards. However, the GPU is simply a GF2 GPU with DDR ram strapped to it. The GF2 GPU when released was bottlenecked by the ram of its day. It in no way compares to a GF4 Ti.

Return to “Nvidia Legacy Drivers”