I found Samsug's 3D plasmas ! hesitating...

Own a 3D HDTV? Trying to learn about the latest and greatest? Post here!
Okta
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Re: I found Samsug's 3D plasmas ! hesitating...

Post by Okta »

Freke1 wrote:I get around 5% black/ 35% white ghosting after optimizing which is about the same as with a CRT monitor. Wouldn't mind 120Hz pageflip. Is it safe to unlock the refresh rates and give 120Hz a try?
I tried higher refresh rates and teh TV came up with a message saying "auto tuning" then "mode not supported". Maybe there is a way to turn off auto tune?

Ive also tried 60hz page flipping and teh gohsting is the same as checkerboard 3d mode.
"I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."
Notch on the FaceDisgrace buyout.
Freke1
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Freke1 »

I couldn't get it to do 120Hz either.
Ouais
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Ouais »

Yop,

It could be cool to list here who is using this TV in 3D and what are the glasses used.
Also, it could be mentioned if the ghosting is severe or not (and the other issues).

Ouais
Freke1
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Freke1 »

I tried something like this:
Nvidia: Stereo gamma 1.4
TV: picture mode movie
Cell light 10
Contrast 100
Brightness 100
Adv. sett. Gamma +1
White balance R-gain 50 (more red)
Color Tone Warm1

Like okta says if You crank up the light, the ghosting gets more unnoticed (try fx. the Le Man video from Nvidia's site). Seems like the ON bright pixels outshine the OFF ghosting pixels a bit and the blacklevel is closer to the ghosting. Not perfect but to me totally worth watching.

I also found out it does hor. and ver. interlaced but that does not improve anything.
Ouais
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Ouais »

Thanks for the update.
I am waiting for my glasses :/

I found this discussion which is interesting:
http://www.stereo3d.com/discus/messages ... 1264063039" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ouais
Anthony1
Cross Eyed!

Post by Anthony1 »

Is the PS50B451 essentially identical to the PN50A450 in the USA? I'm assuming they are basically the same, other than the fact that the PS50B451 is meant for the European market.

One question I have for you guys, is whether or not you are going to attempt to use this Plasma with the PS3 when it's big 3D firmware update comes down the pipe. The way I understand it, is that it might be impossible to use this plasma with the PS3's big 3D firmware update, due to the fact that Sony is making a HDMI 1.4 input a requirement. There has been some debate as to whether or not it will be an absolute requirement or not, but it remains to be seen how this will play out. Even if HDMI 1.4 isn't an absolute requirement, there is the issue of the 1365 x 768 resolution being a non-standard resolution, that the PS3 doesn't support. Of course, if it's only a matter of the resolution there are always outboard scalers that can scale the PS3's 1280 x 720 to 1365 x 768, so I'm not so sure that this will be a total deal breaker.

Also, what about the 3D Blu Ray players? (besides the PS3). Is there any possibility that any of the 3D Blu Ray players will support a resolution like 1365 x 768 ? If not, will there be 3D Blu Ray players for the PC, and then we can set our PC's to output 1365 x 768?
Freke1
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Freke1 »

On this page: http://www.3dmovielist.com/3dhdtvs.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; it says:
2008 versions: "Samsung PN50A450 (in USA)
(PS50A450 in Australia, PS50A450P1 in Asia, PS50A476 in the UK and Europe)".
2009 versions: "Samsung PN50B450 (in USA)
(PS50B450 in Australia) (PS50B450 and PS50B451 in UK)".
I don't know if the 2008 and 2009 versions are identical.

I don't have a console (I can't control the sticks) and hope I can buy a 3D BlueRay player for my pc, but I don't know.
Ouais
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Ouais »

Yop,

PS50B451 = PS50B450 =PN50B450 -> 2009 models
PN50A450 -> 2008 model

I wouldn't optimistic for the PS3 on this tv. The resolution is an issue.
I don't know if an external scaler wouldn't screw the signal as it contains 2 images interlaced (not only one).

Ouais
Ouais
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Ouais »

Yop,

I received and tested the IOD glasses.
I will make a brief feedback:
- it's very pleasing with some movies (i.e. small previews, home made movies provided courteously with the glasses),
- it's a nightmare with some other movies (older ones like the DVD crap which can be found on different online stores). I guess that's where the bad feedbacks on ghosting come from.

With games:
Very good with some games, it's very cool and flawless (NHL is great. Love it).

I was not feeling I needed more resolution, but I don't want to try 3D in plain HD for now, I'll wait for a more mature market and in the meantime, I'll enjoy my TV :)
Really good choice :)

Once again, thanks everyone.

Ouais
Anthony1
Cross Eyed!

Post by Anthony1 »

I'm thinking of building a gaming PC in the $850 range for the tower. I'm talking about:

Case - not sure - ($70 ish ?? )
Power Supply - not sure -($80 ish?? )
Fans - not sure
Motherboard - not sure - ($120 ish... ?)
Ram - 4 Gigs ? ($110 ish ?)
CPU - i5 750 ? ($195 ish ?)
GPU - Radeon HD 5770 ($155 ish ? )
Hard Drive - not sure ($120 ish)

I already have: keyboard, mouse, monitor, Pioneer DVD drive

Once in awhile, I would like to use it with my PN50A450. So, in these instances, it would be outputting 1360 x 768 resolution. Once I can eventually get a 3D projector with hdmi 1.4, I would also be using it with that, and the resolution could either be 1270 x 720 or 1920 x 1080, depending on whether I could afford a 1080p 3D projector anytime in the near future. Any suggestions for what type of PC I should build if I'm also going to use for 3D gaming with my 1360 x 768 plasma?
Anthony1
Cross Eyed!

Post by Anthony1 »

Ouais wrote:Thanks for the update.
I am waiting for my glasses :/

I found this discussion which is interesting:
http://www.stereo3d.com/discus/messages ... 1264063039" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ouais

Could you send a private message to that guy, and try to get him to tell you the exact settings he's using? Sounds like he's figured out the perfect settings, but I'm not sure why he didn't just post these exact settings in the thread..
Anthony1
Cross Eyed!

Post by Anthony1 »

Apparently, it has been confirmed that the Panasonic 3D Blu-Ray player that is currently being sold, does have a Checkerboard output setting. This is very good news for the DLP crowd, because if they are only interested in 3D Blu Ray, they don't need any other adapters to make it work. Obviously, for those of us with the Samsung plasmas, it's probably not going to matter because of the resolution issue. Still, it would be awesome if somebody could make sure that this new Panasonic won't work with our plasmas.... I doubt that it can output 1360 x 768 (or 1024 x 768), but you never know.....

Hopefully, one of the Blu Ray player manufacturers will eventually realize that there are alot of potential customers who own these older 3D plasmas from Samsung, and if they could provide a special 1360 x 768 Checkerboard output, then these people could be very interested in buying up one of their players.

Return to “3D HDTVs”