3d projectors and glasses

Don't know the first thing about S-3D? Just bought your first pair of 3D glasses? Trying to figure out what to buy? Post HERE!
lampros
One Eyed Hopeful

3d projectors and glasses

Post by lampros »

Hello I'm really new to this kind of things so i would like some help with that.. I'm a teacher and i wanted to buy a 3d projector for the classroom + glasses, i also wanted to know if i can play 3d games and maybe in the future watch a 3d movie...
After a lot of search online i've come between 2 projectors 1st is the viewsonic pjd6251 "http://www.viewsonic.com/products/proje ... jd6251.htm" and the second one is the benq mp-777 "http://www.benq.com/products/Projector/?product=1569" i wonder which of both is the best for the job and what kind of glasses should i buy for this.

if you have anyother suggestions let me know

thank you for your time!
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Re: 3d projectors and glasses

Post by Likay »

If you wants to show stereo for a whole class there's probably nothing more suitable than a dual projector rig. It's expensive (two projectors+silverscreen) but you'll save money on the number of glasses needed and gains the convenience of using polarized glasses.
As is today gaming with newer games (dx9 and in the future upwards) is possible using either iz3d or tridef drivers. Nvidia doesn't support any other solutions than their own anymore. Iz3d or tridef drivers are independant on hardware.
Gaming with older games is possible using winxp, 7900 card (not 8000 series or later). Be sure that the card has two outputs. Works with dx4 up to dx9 to variable degrees.
Movies are perfectly watchable using Peter Wimmers stereoscopic player which is the best software for playing stereomovies up to this date btw.

One alternative is to buy the nvidia 3d-vision-kit and use a compatible projector. Glassescost is expensive since each new pair requires a pair of extra shutterglasses which tends to be expensive, expecially since shutters easier breaks than polarized glasses... The nvidiaglasses are comfortable to wear even if they are shutterglasses. 3d-vision only works with winvista and upwards and an 8000 series nvidia card and upwards. No older pre-dx8 games are supported. No special screen is needed for this tech though.

A cheap solution is using one projector and red/cyan glasses. Basically all drivers and software supports it and the glasses are really cheap as well. No need for a special screen either.
Last edited by Likay on Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
relaxman
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by relaxman »

no need to the whole nvidia kit, but sure, the price is a little high
http://www.pixmania.hu/hu/hu/3857283/ar ... M5MjA3NDs=
lampros
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by lampros »

i 've looked the IZ3d and it looked good choice i wonder will these (iz3d)glasses and driver work with any kind of 3d ready projector?
sorry for my noobie questions
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

The iz3d glasses only work on their iz3d 22" monitor. Their driver supports more outputs, including anaglyph, 3D-DLP (Samsung/Mitsubishi), Interlaced (Zalman), Dual Output, VR920, Stereo Mirror, Side-by-Side and Shutter glasses. If the 3D-ready projector has a 3-pin VESA stereo port then it should be possible to use any generic shutter-glasses in addition to the iz3D drivers in shutter mode. If it doesn't then you are stuck with Nvidia most likely. If you want to use passive polarized glasses (like in the movies) then you would need to build a dual projection rig yourself. Some other members here can assist you in building that if you want.
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

relaxman wrote:no need to the whole nvidia kit, but sure, the price is a little high
http://www.pixmania.hu/hu/hu/3857283/ar ... M5MjA3NDs=
Thanks for clarifying. I edited my post above.
lampros
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by lampros »

allright so i'm about to purchase this one http://www.viewsonic.com/products/proje ... jd6251.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; what glasses can i use with this model?
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

lampros wrote:allright so i'm about to purchase this one http://www.viewsonic.com/products/proje ... jd6251.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; what glasses can i use with this model?
Since it's 3d-ready and 120Hz you need the nvidia 3d-vision glasses for it. You also need a relatively recent nvidia card and minimum winvista.
I have no clue if this projector would work with e-dimensional or similar glasses with recent games. You also need to consider softwaresupport which basically sux for older stereosetups.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

That projector is designed to work with the Nvidia 3D Vision glasses. :newshutter
lampros
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by lampros »

allright the more i search online the more confused i get so from the begining again :P

i'm really sorry i'm becoming tiring I just don't know what i really want :P
Ok i have 3 questions

1)these projectors actually supports 1024x768 native resolution and resolution support VGA(640 x 480) to UXGA(1600x1200) for example.
let's say i want to play a game at the projector,will the game be at 1024 x768 or it can go up to 1600x1200?

2)does the vertical hz plays so much role ? i mean for example benq 3d ready supports till 85hz and viewsonic ones till 120hz that means that each eye at the BENQ will have about 42,5hz and on viewsonic 60hz?(will that cause headache since it is ALSO for educational purposes)

3)what is the best 3d ready projector according to you until 1000 euros(about 1300$)+ 3d glasses(please answer me at this one at least) :lol:

thank you so much for your time and your effort to deal with a noob at 3d

:oops:
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

lampros wrote:allright the more i search online the more confused i get so from the begining again :P

i'm really sorry i'm becoming tiring I just don't know what i really want :P
Ok i have 3 questions

1)these projectors actually supports 1024x768 native resolution and resolution support VGA(640 x 480) to UXGA(1600x1200) for example.
let's say i want to play a game at the projector,will the game be at 1024 x768 or it can go up to 1600x1200?

2)does the vertical hz plays so much role ? i mean for example benq 3d ready supports till 85hz and viewsonic ones till 120hz that means that each eye at the BENQ will have about 42,5hz and on viewsonic 60hz?(will that cause headache since it is ALSO for educational purposes)

3)what is the best 3d ready projector according to you until 1000 euros(about 1300$)+ 3d glasses(please answer me at this one at least) :lol:

thank you so much for your time and your effort to deal with a noob at 3d

:oops:
:D
1: Native resolution is the "hard" resolution of the projector. If native is 1024x768 and it takes 1600x1200 as input the resulting output is still 1024x768 (downscaled in projector). The projector looks best when using the native resolution. (higher resolution from the computer will only serve to load the computer higher than necessary since the image anyway is downscaled in the projector).

2: Correct and extra note about eventual role of vertical refresh: Myself i find 85Hz "acceptable" (i've gone away from shutters and will probably never return) in the old shutterdays but some seems to suffer from headache from low refreshrates as 85Hz. Some actually even from 120Hz. I assume most people will be fine with 120Hz since nvidia has chosen this as an ingoing refreshrate.

3: Have no idea sorry.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

1. You can run the projector (and thus Windows/games, etc.) at any resolution it supports. However it will downscale the image and then project at the native resolution. In most cases it will be best to just use the native resolution for the sharpest image.

2. The refresh rate will effect the flicker of the glasses and also how smooth motion appears on screen. 85Hz is a bare minimum spec, anything less is garbage. 120Hz is more desirable.

3. I have heard good things about the Acer H5360 which supports 720P native res (1280 x 720), 120Hz refresh and Nvidia 3D Vision glasses. Please do your own research on this projector, but it seems pretty good for the price. (check this thread: http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=152758" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; )
lampros
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by lampros »

thx it looks really good one and supports hd native
i suppose Full hd one will be faaar more expensive right?
Croccy22
Cross Eyed!

Post by Croccy22 »

I have recently bough the Acer H5360 and the nvidia 3d vision kit and it is absolutely brilliant. I had the Zalman 19" Monitor before and this new setup blows it out of the water in every way!

It plays 3d movies perfectly. Gaming is smooth and clear at 1280x720 native resolution and it matches up perfectly with my FujiFilm W1 3D camera. I would not hesitate to purchase this projector. I got mine from projector planet and they delivered it next day for £504.99 shipped direct from Acer. Absolute Bargain!!

Only problem I have had is getting a second set of glasses is impossible in the UK. I know Pixmania list them but they just move the due date forward every time it gets close. I have just bought a second Nvidia 3d vision kit to get the glasses, it cost a bit more but I was getting fed up with waiting.

I also found some other places that listed them on google shopping but they all looked really ropey and after reading on the net everyone said to avoid them at all costs! (ElecoSave)
Matt.
gicko
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by gicko »

HI croccy22
I would like to ask you what kind of 3D MOVIES have you seen.
About ghosting too, flickering etc?
I think your are very happy for your BIG screen am i not right?
As far the FUJI 3d camera is concerned yes i agree that IS A FANTASTIC PIECE OF HARDWARE!
The_Nephilim
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by The_Nephilim »

Not too sure whn it will be available but the Optoma HD55 is another 720P 3D Projector 1280x720 REZ which should be fine for Gaming. I beleive it also does 120Hz??
Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1 GHZ / ASRock Phantom 4 AC/4 Z590 Motherboard / G. SKILL Trident Z 64GB - 4000mhz / eVGA 2080Ti 11gb / SoundBlaster Z / HP Reverb G2 / HOTAS Cougar / Thrustmaster MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2 / :shutter
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

The Optoma projectors are not certified by Nvidia so I am unsure how you could game in 3D with them at the moment.
relaxman

Post by relaxman »

We have a dual projector setup.
Is there any driver that support this config with geforce 9 series?
Nvidia lock to 3d vision.
On older, 7 series card, modern games doesnt run well.

thx
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Please try the IZ3D driver. They have support for dual projectors.
relaxman

Post by relaxman »

will try, thanks.
do we have to remove the nvidia driver, or this is just a 3D driver,
and can be installed separatly?
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

You can have them both installed at the same time, just dont run them simultaneously.

Return to “I'm New To Stereoscopic 3D!”