iZ3D wish item:

Mel
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

iZ3D wish item:

Post by Mel »

I would love to see a sample DX9 program that showcases the iZ3D monitor's pop-out capabilities. I have yet to see a good pop-out effect in any game, simply because no game was designed with such things in mind. Adjusting the convergence to produce pop-out always makes my eyeballs strain way too hard, and it never 'looks' right.

I recall the good old days with my Atari ST and shutter glasses, where I used a 3D rendering program to create 3D scenes with objects truly floating 6 to 8 inches in front of the monitor. I'd really like to see a demo application that reproduced this effect.

Maybe, just maybe, I'll whip one up myself if I get the time and energy. If so, I'll post it here.
Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by Neil »

I like a good pop-out too. Have you gone through the gallery at all? You should find some examples there.

Regards,
Neil
Neil

Far Cry Samples

Post by Neil »

Here are two good examples. They are a bit "old school" from the Far Cry game, but I figured the jungle seen would be a good example.

Look at the plants in the foreground - do the leaves seem to pop out of the screen, while the jungles in the distance seem far away?

The actual gallery files for downloading are here:

http://mtbs3d.com/gallery/albums/userpi ... ry0000.jpg
http://mtbs3d.com/gallery/albums/userpi ... ry0001.jpg

Regards,
Neil
Mel

The Far Cry pics...

Post by Mel »

...are OK, but the problem I have is two-fold: First, the gun completely destroys the effect for me. There is something just not right with it, and it ruins the rest of the scene If I block the gun from my mind, then the pop-out becomes much more apparent, but having said that...problem number two is that when a part of the scene that is popping-out is also clipped at the screen boundary, once again, then entire effect gets ruined for me.

The images I recall from the Atari shutter glass setup were perfect, with no muss or clutter to ruin the effect. I'm looking for something as simple as a sphere or toroid just hovering unclipped right in front of my eyes. Or something like nVidia's sample stereo animation, but with the letters blatantly popping out of the screen.

Thanks for the samples, though.
Neil

Post by Neil »

Freke1
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Freke1 »

Last edited by Freke1 on Sun Nov 25, 2007 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sharky

Post by sharky »

hi! i had the same thoughts you have so i know what youre talking about. personally FPS i preffer to play without poput effect because of the weapon.

anyway a while ago i posted some images in the gallery wich are pure popout.

here are some examples.. i took them with the iz3d drivers in windowed mode:

bye

sharky
Adam Savage: "I reject your reality and substitute it for my own."
Jamie Hyneman: "It's really cool, but really unusual."

Mel

Post by Mel »

Freke1 wrote:There's also some popout effect in these:
http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/5058/e ... 850rp7.jpg
http://img174.imageshack.us/img174/8551/3ddino3zh1.jpg

The Aquamark3 benchmark has some nice popout bubbles all the way through:
http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=673 (dl link)
Thank-you Freke1. Those are great pop-out examples. The dino is almost perfect for my eyes (there's a lot of ghosting, and it would have been nice to see some sort of image 'inside' the monitor to make the pop-out even more prevalent, but it's pretty darn awesome anyway).

sharky: I'm thinking that the trouble with some of the images is that the separation is WAY too big, and my brain can't get anywhere near merging the two images. For many of them, I have to yank the glasses off my face real quick for fear that my brain will explode trying to resolve them... :D
Mel

Post by Mel »

sharky wrote:hi! i had the same thoughts you have so i know what youre talking about. personally FPS i preffer to play without poput effect because of the weapon.

anyway a while ago i posted some images in the gallery wich are pure popout.

here are some examples.. i took them with the iz3d drivers in windowed mode:

(images trimmed)

bye

sharky
Great pics, but the separation is too much for me. Often times I can blur my vision a bit to try to force a merge of the images, but on these ones I can't come anywhere near it.

Return to “iZ3D Legacy Drivers”