NASA lunar analog testing in 3D

Find a good S-3D side by side video on YouTube? Share it here!
tomshortridge
One Eyed Hopeful

NASA lunar analog testing in 3D

Post by tomshortridge »

Hey guys, short-time lurker, first post here on the forums (I hope this is the right place to post this).

I started messing around with 3D videography when I heard about YouTube's new(ish) 3D capabilities about a month ago, and have learned a lot from reading this board.

I just wanted to share my first "real" 3D project, footage of the NASA Desert Research And Technology Studies lunar analog testing at Black Point Lava Flow, AZ. Here's the link to the optimized red/cyan downloadable .mp4: http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/podcasti ... 60-3d.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and here's the YouTube link for other viewing styles: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImPceq3XyQQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'd love to get your opinions/comments/critiques, as I'm a 3D n00b, and would love to learn more about producing in this artform.

Thanks in advance for your views and comments.
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Re: NASA lunar analog testing in 3D

Post by Likay »

Gratz on a great first post! :shutter

The vid is great!
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
Freke1
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Freke1 »

Great stuff. NASA is totally kicka** 8)
tomshortridge
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by tomshortridge »

Thanks for the comments, dudes.

Did you happen to notice anything that needs improvement in terms of camera placement/alignment/convergence, excessive ghosting, etc.? I'm thinking that the massive amounts of white are not the best for anaglyph 3D presentation, but I don't have an active-glasses setup to test that and see if it's a problem there.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

That footage looked really nice. I was viewing with the Zalman polarized monitor and it looks pretty good quality, I didn't notice anything off.
iondrive
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by iondrive »

nice, it works in the webpage.

For those who still haven't clicked on the you-tube link, what's nice about it is that you can select between many 3d outputs:

7 anaglyph
3 side-by-side
2 interlaced (didn't notice any difference between them)
2 mono (left and right)

At first (using line-blanking on a CRT), it didn't work right. Then I resized my desktop res and then it worked good. Then I switch back to the previous res and it still looked good so somehow it just managed to fix itself. Widescreen mode (2-arrow icon) worked good but fullscreen mode (4 arrow icon) switched from interlaced mode to side-by-side mode with no way I could find to switch it back. Still, widescreen mode is pretty close to fullscreen and works good. I don't think the download res matters. I chose 360p. One last thing, with interlaced mode, you just need to scroll the window up or down a little to get the right eye-sync, then it stays good of course. It's pretty cool.

--- iondrive ---
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

With the interlaced modes the difference is that it swaps the eyes. So if it looks wrong just switch to the other one.

Return to “Favorite Online S-3D Videos”