VR920/TDVisor - 3d dvd

TechnoBuddhist
One Eyed Hopeful

VR920/TDVisor - 3d dvd

Post by TechnoBuddhist »

Hi,

First post, just joined. Been wanting to go 3D for a long time now(again), and hoping this christmas santa will oblige(errr my gf at any rate!)

Does anybody know if the VR920 will work with the "3DPlus 2D to 3D DVD Software"? I used to have a pair of e-dimensional glasses a couple of years back but they got broked :( I tried the dvd software and it seemed ok, but my Gfx card and cpu weren't powerful enough to give me a good show.

Even better would be if the TDVisor would work cos of the higher res.
sharky
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by sharky »

i am not shure at 10000000% but, as far as i know both use nvidia drivers. so the problem should be teh gpu, not the playback device.

if oyu have a 8 series it wont work.

as far as i know if you have a 7 series nvidia or earlier you should have the same compatibility as the shutterglasses...

but just to be shure wait for somebody else s reply too..

cu

sharky

ps: welcome to the board.. :)
Adam Savage: "I reject your reality and substitute it for my own."
Jamie Hyneman: "It's really cool, but really unusual."

TechnoBuddhist
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by TechnoBuddhist »

Ooh! I am just about to place an order for a new mobo, ram, CPU and gfx card. I was gonna get a GT8600GT. Is it just driver probs? Shouldn't I just wait til NVidia sort out the drivers rather than get a lesser spec gfx card? I want the gfx card for it's HD capabilities, it's for my media centre and it's primary use is HD movies.

UPDATE:
I was just gonna ask if I could use a GF8 and GF6/7 in 2 PCI-E slots and use both, GF8 for HDTV and GF6/7 for S-3D but it's already answered in this post; http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=126. Kewl I can go and order my GF8 and when/if I get my HMD I'll get a GF6/7 if the drivers haven't been sorted by then.

Would still like to know if anybody else can confirm Sharky's driver theory.

ps. - thx for the welcome :)
eschur
One Eyed Hopeful

TDVisor inputs

Post by eschur »

Right now our TDVisor takes VGA or DVI inputs. We may support HDMI and component in the future. Let us know what sort of inputs you want to see!
chrisdfw
Cross Eyed!

Post by chrisdfw »

While I am happy that companies are finally starting to come out with 3d visors that will do 1024 X 768 I am still very disapointed in the deceptive pratice of not mentioning the Field Of View. Saying that it produces a 72 inch diagnal screen 10 feet away may sound great, but you are really only talking about a very small FOV of about 25 degrees at most. Games, and especially games in 3d that can be immersive, need to be played with at least a 45 degree FOV. In other words, it should look like a 60 inch screen about five feet away.

Why is it optically difficult to reach this type of immersion with head mounted displays like the TDVisor?

Until this happens I'll have to stick with my DLP projector...but I would prefer a HMD that did a 45 degree FOV and at least 1024 X 768.
Tril
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Tril »

72 inch diagonal at 10 feet if the screen has a 4:3 apect ratio (1024x768 resolution) gives a horizontal FOV of 27 degrees.
108 inch diagonal at 10 feet if the screen has a 16:9 apect ratio (1280x720p resolution) gives a horizontal FOV of 39.6 degrees.
Source : Online calculator
Last edited by Tril on Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
LukePC1
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by LukePC1 »

You found an interesting page there...

my current monitor has a fov of over 60?. Compared to that the ca. 30 don't look too well...

At least you don't have ghosting and it's easyly portable :wink:
Play Nations at WAR with this code to get 5.000$ as a Starterbonus:
ayqz1u0s
http://mtbs3d.com/naw/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AMD x2 4200+ 2gb Dualchannel
GF 7900gs for old CRT with Elsa Revelator SG's
currently 94.24 Forceware and 94.24 Stereo with XP sp2!
Jahun
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Jahun »

heh Luke1PC..

60! you sure? :P
that is pretty damn close to a monitor I think.

I think my projection screen is pushing it, me sitting too close to a 2.1m screen, and that gives a viewing angle of 48 or so for me..
chrisdfw
Cross Eyed!

Post by chrisdfw »

I am still hoping for a response from Eschur on why getting a 45 degree FOV on the head mounted display is difficult to achieve and also why companies that make hmd's don't mention FOV. I don't mean to be sarcastic, but based on the way the advertisements read I wouldn't be surprised to see an HMD that boasts about the viewing being equivalent to a 40 foot wide screen at 1000 feet away...(that would be about a 2 degree FOV btw)

I do love that companies are supporting 3d more...but if it is not immersive then it is not great for gaming.
LukePC1
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by LukePC1 »

Ok I measured again...

Now I think, that 60? are realy short, too.
That'd be about a foot distance. I think generally it's more 1.5 feet away :)
that'd make a fov of 45.8 :wink:

Compared to that a Z800 or a simmilar HMD wouldn't look too bad (if I remember right Z800 had about 40-45?)
Play Nations at WAR with this code to get 5.000$ as a Starterbonus:
ayqz1u0s
http://mtbs3d.com/naw/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AMD x2 4200+ 2gb Dualchannel
GF 7900gs for old CRT with Elsa Revelator SG's
currently 94.24 Forceware and 94.24 Stereo with XP sp2!
eschur
One Eyed Hopeful

FOV

Post by eschur »

The Diagonal FOV of the TDVisor-HD is 48.45 degrees.
The horizontal FOV of the TDVisor-HD is 42.83 degrees. Please Check the FOV thread at the TDVision Systems Inc. Information & Support forum.

It's very hard to compare a personal viewing device to a monitor. We are going for an immersing portable experience where the user is _inside_ of the action rather than the action coming _outside_ to the user. It is our philosophy that by encapsulating both of the user's eyes with constant streams of HD-Video we are very closely emulating the way the human eye really sees. Our FOV will get larger with each successive release. I can tell you right now that the TDVisor-HD virtual screen size looks BIG! I invite all MTBS3D users who are coming to this year's CES show in Las Vegas to please come see us in the LVCC. We will have movies, games and our AlterSpace stereo virtual world to show.
Jahun

Post by Jahun »

Well there is limit to FOV isn't there? At some point it should get obvious that it is a 2D display whereas the real world would be more like wrapped around you. Unless some compensating algorithm is used ofc..
crim3
Certif-Eyed!

Post by crim3 »

You can learn how could be achieved full fov (270?) looking around over here:

http://www.leepvr.com/30history.html

It has many interesting and inspiring articles about the topic. They talk about the proper projection algorithm to about distorsion.
CarlKenner

Post by CarlKenner »

I'd love to see TDVisor get some of those LeepVR lenses.

Although what LeepVR are doing is to have a different pixel density at different parts of your FOV, just like a real eye. They use a normal screen and then put a (very cheap) lens in front that bends the light in such a way that the outter parts of the image are stretched a lot. The downside is that the games have to be modified to render a 270 degree view in a special fish-eye kind of manner. Although it is probably possible for a driver to do that with lots of hacking. You could still play a regular game on it if you can set the FOV high, but it would look distorted.

The upside is that it should be cheaper and more effective than other ways of doing it.
Aeroflux

Post by Aeroflux »

CarlKenner wrote:I'd love to see TDVisor get some of those LeepVR lenses.

Although what LeepVR are doing is to have a different pixel density at different parts of your FOV, just like a real eye. They use a normal screen and then put a (very cheap) lens in front that bends the light in such a way that the outter parts of the image are stretched a lot. The downside is that the games have to be modified to render a 270 degree view in a special fish-eye kind of manner. Although it is probably possible for a driver to do that with lots of hacking. You could still play a regular game on it if you can set the FOV high, but it would look distorted.

The upside is that it should be cheaper and more effective than other ways of doing it.
That sounds like the lens they used on an SGI workstation (some VR exhibit I went to a long time ago had a limited flight sim) at the Museum of Science and Industry in California. There was similar lens used on Starblade as well.
eschur
One Eyed Hopeful

Lenses

Post by eschur »

We definitely will NOT be using LeepVR lenses. Those are just way to big! We have plans to implement an optical engine that has never been done before in the field of near-to-eye optics. It will take a bit of time and considerable resources but we are going to end up with a very nice screen size and physical form factor.
crim3
Certif-Eyed!

Post by crim3 »

How intriguing! :) You give me hope in the future, and I like that sensation.
I like your style, and in the future I really would like to support your projects becoming a tdvision customer.
CarlKenner

Post by CarlKenner »

Everyone wants to be trendy these days. I've got a VR920 which is trying to be a pair of glasses.

The image looks like a largish wide-screen TV. But if I set the game to the actual FOV of the glasses, it isn't really playable. I have to set the game to about double the FOV of the glasses. Setting it to about 90 degrees feels too unnatural though when I turn my head. So I set it to about 60 degrees. And then I still have no peripheral vision.

But if I could swap it for a great big full helmet to get 180 degrees then I would. I think it would make a big difference to whether it felt like I was looking at a screen, or looking at the world around me.

The size of the VR helmet isn't really an issue for me. Although I admit weight may be an issue.

Return to “General Stereoscopic 3D Discussion”