iz3d v. CRT + shutterglasses

chilledsanity
Cross Eyed!

iz3d v. CRT + shutterglasses

Post by chilledsanity »

Hey, I'm wondering if there are any advantages to using CRT + shutterglasses over the iz3D monitor. The only ones I can think of are the price and that the Nvidia drivers support OpenGL games. When my current monitor dies (I've had it for 8 years or so) , I'm definitely leaning towards the iz3D, btu I was wondering if it will be a downgrade in any way.
sharky
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by sharky »

i would say that another disadvantage added to your 2 points is 5%more ghosting than shutterglasses.. but there are also advantages wich for me are more important than disadvantages. you know them all for shure... ;)
Adam Savage: "I reject your reality and substitute it for my own."
Jamie Hyneman: "It's really cool, but really unusual."

RAGEdemon
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by RAGEdemon »

I was under the impression that OpeGL support was going to be implemented towards the end of this year... it says so in their driver pdf on their website.

Its a different kind of ghosting. With CRT, its always there, but when iZ3D does it well, it can produce a really good image... when it does it badly... well... I think with better front screen algorithms, the picture can be much better.

Another advantage of CRT is that there is no tinting... the left eye has a dark yellow tint while the right eye has a light blue tint... something that really annoys me but seems to not effect most other folk here.

But, there are of course very good things about the monitor, and depending on if you have been spoiled by ghostless tintless flicker-free gaming on a large projecotor screen, you will find that the advantages of sticking with your CRT do not stack up too high (cough stereo driver).

I am of course very biased at this moment in time as I am playing through half-life2 ep2 on it in glorious stereo with HDR/Bloom on an 8800 - albeit with ghosting, but stereo non the less. Something that the nVidia+CRT just can't/won't do, to their eternal shame.

I will be writing a review with Actual stereo screenshots taken from each eye of their glasses from the iZ3D so you can use cross-eyed viewing method and see almost EXACTLY what you will see with the iZ3D - minus brightness of course. This will be done in maybe a month or so.
Windows 11 64-Bit | 12900K @ 5.3GHz | 2080 Ti OC | 32GB 3900MHz CL16 RAM | Optane PCIe SSD RAID-0 | Sound Blaster ZxR | 2x 2000W ButtKicker LFE | nVidia 3D Vision | 3D Projector @ DSR 1600p | HP Reverb G2
chilledsanity
Cross Eyed!

Post by chilledsanity »

Thanks, I was actually under the impression that it had less ghosting than shutterglasses, didn't realize it was as touch and go. The drivers really are a bitch for the Nvidia card though. I mean it basically comes down to whether I want to play new games in 2D or old games in 3D. It's too bad Nvidia seems to have more or lessed scrapped all stereo support, short of taking down their old drivers entirely.

Return to “General Stereoscopic 3D Discussion”