Summary of glasses?

Don't know the first thing about S-3D? Just bought your first pair of 3D glasses? Trying to figure out what to buy? Post HERE!
Ouais
Two Eyed Hopeful

Summary of glasses?

Post by Ouais »

Hello,

Is there a post regrouping all concerns regarding glasses?
Something where we could quickly get an overview of the different products.

A table listing the known glasses on the market with for example:
- date (production),
- type (shutter, pola, etc.),
- pros,
- cons,
- compatibility,
- price
would be a great utility for all beginners.

Well, if it does not exist, it may be a lead for a nice topic ;)

Ouais
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Re: Summary of glasses?

Post by yuriythebest »

go to mtbs3d.com -> Guides-> 3d hardware guide

also if you want specific technology comparisons like iz3d vs nvidia 3d vision do a forum search plenty of those
Oculus Rift / 3d Sucks - 2D FTW!!!
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

http://www.stereo3d.com/3dhome.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That is just for historic value. Realistically there are only 2 legacy models you will find today, the ELSA Revelators and the EDimensional. Of course the 3D Vision is the latest in shutters.
Ouais
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Ouais »

Thanks for the links.
I thought more about products (elsa, nvidia, etc.) rather than types of technos.

Ouais
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

Ouais wrote:Thanks for the links.
I thought more about products (elsa, nvidia, etc.) rather than types of technos.

Ouais

search the forums there are many good nvidia 3d vision VS iz3d threads
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

If you are looking for professional models I forgot to mention the Crystal Eyes and the XPand glasses. What is it you are looking for?
Ouais
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Ouais »

Well,

As a newbie, I am looking at all possible solutions (not professional) for 3D@home.
Regarding glasses, it's not really clear what are the products currently on the market and what are the compatibilities (displays, pc drivers, applications, etc.).

For exemple, can I use nvidia 3d vision glasses with iz3d drivers?
Or on the contrary, can I use samsung, elsa or other glasses with nvidia 3d vision drivers ?

I noticed that the nvidia emitter has a button to increase or decrease the depth effect.
It's a differentiator. Is there something similar on the other solutions (maybe some keyboard shortcuts)?

I do some photography and I know how important is the quality of the glass used for filters.
I guess it's the same for 3D glasses (shutter and pola). Is there some comparison of the different glasses regarding glass quality?

Sharpness (and ghosting probably) may be increased or decreased depending on the build = glass) quality.

Ouais
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

The Another Eye 2000 are the best shutter glasses I've personally tried. I don't have the Nvidia shutters so I cannot compare. However, at the moment there are not too many options in terms of software support for shutter glasses. If you are talking about the PC it is either the 3D Vision or the highway. From what I understand even the old ELSA glasses are better but they don't have much support at all so there is no point talking about them. Realistically its the 3D Vision or nothing in terms of shutters. However there are other options like the Zalman Trimon or IZ3D monitors.
Ouais
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Ouais »

Ouais wrote:For exemple, can I use nvidia 3d vision glasses with iz3d drivers?
Or on the contrary, can I use samsung, elsa or other glasses with nvidia 3d vision drivers ?

I noticed that the nvidia emitter has a button to increase or decrease the depth effect.
It's a differentiator. Is there something similar on the other solutions (maybe some keyboard shortcuts)?
Up.

Thanks cybereality for your answer, but I need an answer to the above questions.
They are pretty simple, but can't find an answer :(

Ouais
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Ouais wrote:For exemple, can I use nvidia 3d vision glasses with iz3d drivers?

Pretty much "no" across the board, although all the drivers do have hot-keys to adjust the stereo settings (the nvidia emitter just has a button that does the same as hitting the hotkey, which makes it next to useless).
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

for all other shutters (except for 3d vision) your only option is to use the iz3d drivers
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

yuriythebest wrote:for all other shutters (except for 3d vision) your only option is to use the iz3d drivers
The iz3d drivers are very good but support for shutterglasses is not the best (l/r shifting issues if ingame fps sinks below refreshrate).
I agree with cybereality. If you want to go shutterway then 3d-vision it is. Everything else regarding shutters seems to be helplessly out since it seems like only nvidia knows how to support them.
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
Ouais
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Ouais »

Ok guys, thanks.

I conclude that shutters -> nvidia.

Hope it's fully compatible with sammy's 50PS450 now :)

Ouais
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

Likay wrote:
yuriythebest wrote:for all other shutters (except for 3d vision) your only option is to use the iz3d drivers
The iz3d drivers are very good but support for shutterglasses is not the best (l/r shifting issues if ingame fps sinks below refreshrate).
I agree with cybereality. If you want to go shutterway then 3d-vision it is. Everything else regarding shutters seems to be helplessly out since it seems like only nvidia knows how to support them.

only for pageflip. interlaced works fine.
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

True. Interlaced (with e-d activator or similar programs) works good with no sync issues.
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
Ouais
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Ouais »

Ok. SO still nvidia to be preferred.

I plan to purchase only type of glasses (shutter).
So if nvidia and iz3d supported glasses are not compatible, I must make a choice.
It's strange that it's not possible to use nvidia glasses with iz3d drivers.
I thought that the glasses only synchronized with the tv (or pc) and would display the 3D image without knowing what source was sent to the tv (or monitor, whatever).

Maybe there's a way to connect the nvidia glasses to the tv 3d sync and use them with iz3d drivers ?

Ouais
BlackShark
Certif-Eyable!

Post by BlackShark »

When plugged to a 3D-sync port, the nvidia glasses will sync directly with the TV. But the sync port alone does not activates the glasses. Nvidia made sure to add additional security to their glasses to make sure that you need the nvidia driver with nvidia hardware for their glasses to work.

This security will cracked eventually, just like ipods get cracked over time and people can use them with different software than the official proprietary software.
It's just that it's not done yet.
Passive 3D forever !
DIY polarised dual-projector setup :
2x Epson EH-TW3500 (2D 1080p)
Xtrem Screen Daylight 2.0, for polarized 3D
3D Vision gaming with signal converter : VNS Geobox 501
Ouais
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Ouais »

Merci blackshark,

I knew that "feature" of 3d vision.
If I can still use the glasses to watch movies, pictures and play games in a (very) good way, I am ready to accept some drawbacks :)
But the lack of support for 3D tvs in their latest drivers is really unacceptable.
If it's a bug, I'll still consider nvidia 3d vision as an option.

Anyway, difficult to make a choice as I get mixed feedbacks regarding 3d vision VS iz3d :(
3d vision seems to be the best (and most simple) solution, but it's expensive.
And as I don't plan to invest in 2 products, I need to select one of them.

Ouais

Return to “I'm New To Stereoscopic 3D!”