Making the first set-up. Unable to try-out before buying

Don't know the first thing about S-3D? Just bought your first pair of 3D glasses? Trying to figure out what to buy? Post HERE!
Allingby
One Eyed Hopeful

Making the first set-up. Unable to try-out before buying

Post by Allingby »

Hello, ladies and gentlemen!
I've recently ordered a new gaming rig, in-fact my first gaming rig... I originally designed it for doing Final Cut work on (After hackint0shing it) but I decided "Why not bootcamp Windows 7 and do some PC gaming?" as an audition to my PS3 gaming. I've been a Mac user for a couple of years now, and will therefore be skipping from Windows XP (From then) to 7 (Now)

Now boring story aside, cutting to the chase. This setup is equipped with a Core i7 Quad (Clocked between 2 and 2.9 GHz, actively... I think) 6GBs of Ram (Fitting the 1366 socket) and an EVGA NVidia GeForce GTX 285. I chose 85 over 95, so I could do three-way SLI later, if I wanted, instead of having 4 260's running in quad (2x 295)

I've looked at the benchmarks, and this should pretty much max out anything I throw at it, so why not [s]waste[/s] use with extreme justice some power on S-3D?
This is my first time doing this kinda thing, hence which board category I'm on, so I'm nervous about what equipment to buy (Kinda sound like I'm asking for condom advice)
Now when buying this, I'd go out, try everything I could, to find my favorite technology and brand, except... I live in Denmark, and there is not a single store that has demos available. Only reference I have to 3D, is trying Anaglyph (Red/Cyan) a few times, and I've been to a Real D theater a few times.

Before I buy anything, I want to use Anaglyph for some free testing, I'll test 3 drivers. First NVidia's 3D vision that comes with the drivers, secondly I'll try iZ3D's Anaglyph driver, and thirdly I'll try Tridef ignition by DDD. I'll most likely play Left 4 Dead (To see the very best... Also, I love zombies) with all 3, adjust the settings as I please, decide what's best. I'll just do it on my Samsung 40" 1080p LCD (Or am I doing something wrong with Anaglyph here?) But before I can... I still need glasses, and sure, I can get them sent from some site, Amazon or whatnot, but it runs up in 60$ shipping for 1 pair to Denmark (Do not want) and there's only 1 retailer in all of Denmark who sells them, which is http://www.billige3dbriller.dk/ (Cheap3DGlasses.dk) and they sell 5 pairs for approximately 9$'s which is okay, but would these Cardboard ones do the job good? Would it even change things to get a better pair?

Now, if I like this, I'm gonna go for some real stuff. It would be by far easiest to go for Shutters, especially the 3D Vision from NVidia, since they're sold in the country, in the stores I can walk into (But not demo'd) I also think I would prefer them (In the shutters category) since from what I've read, others need to be manually sync'd.
About 3D Vision, or just shutters, has anyone experienced ghosting? I'd think when it's just 1 picture at a time, the light-ghost shouldn't be a problem, but LCD's may do, I don't know, but I'm asking.

Other option is naturally something passive polarized. Before I start with options, the difference between Linier and circular, how visible is that? I've heard that Linier is very sensitive to head-tilting, but perfect when sitting up-right, while circular is has better view with tilting, but is overall worse with ghosting. True or false?
Now the options. A german retailer has an iZ3D monitor, but the monitor it-self doesn't appeal too much, I like at-least 26" And I have seen the new iZ3D 26", which looks just phenomenal! Tho with the two stacked panels, how bad does ghosting present? (If at all with new algorithm and glasses) I can imagine some, and I imagine there being some improvement with the upgrade from the old 22" to the new 26" somehow, don't know. If your experience is better than nVIDIA, then I'll be waiting for a 26" model, and buying it day-1....
Or maybe with a reasonable-to-awesomeness price-tag on the upcoming HDI 3D laser TV... Yea, that's my favorite Polarized tech, thus far. (Even if I never tried any)

Other polarized 3D. I thought about making a Dual-Projector set-up, since the two sources being independent would minimize the ghosting (I have no idea, in-fact I'm saying the word ghosting a lot, considering I've never seen it) Only thing about this, is that I am faaaar too pour to do this, but still interested to learn about it. Now, a 3D projector using "Page flip" or spinning filter, or what it is, I've also thought of. Would this be any different from NVidia 3D Vision, since your eyes also here, see the images alternately? I may be able to afford such a setup, but then again, changing light-bulbs is an expensive experience... Still interested to learn!
Lastly, I'm not interested in Interlaced, the cut-in-half resolution is a big turn-off. I believe Sony will use this on their PS3, and new Sony Bravia TVs, since it would mean they could run any PS3 game like this, without more power use (Two 1920x540 should be the same as 1920x1080 to render... Mostly, if you forget the post-prosessing) so no Zalman.

Alternatively, an HMD. This is quiet attractive, since there is zero ghosting, and you get an extreme emersion sense! I'd wait for TDVision to release their 720p model. At first I thought "Wow! 720 in an HMD? Count me in!" Then I thought "But wait... If it's like a 108" display from 3 feet away... That could look terrible!" So I played some 720 games on the PS3, on my 40" Sammy, while 1 or 2 feet away (Very bright and awakard-looking) and it still looked very good, so I like that idea. Only turn-off here is that I will have to play 100% solo, and I can't show others, without giving it to them, but that's not so bad. Another turn-off is that I have to be either 100% in the game, or 100% out, no talking to others in the room, unless I just use speakers... But I won't... Then again, full emersion is the point of S-3D! A bit turn-on is that if I get a Gaming lap-top, I can look like an idiot while playing in S-3D on the go! (As soon as laptop video-cards are supported) Which is... Just. Plain. Sweet.

Also, if I mounted it with head-tracking, and see what games support it, that would be awesome, too! I know I could do this by mounting some IR LEDs on the 3D glasses, and use an IR lens on a Webcam, but I don't know how to enable that. It's even harder to learn about Head-tracking than it is to learn about all those S-3D technologies.

That was a long post, I apologize for many questions and passible bad English, but hope to get smarter, so I can leave the 2nd dimension, soon!
Thank you, very much, in advance!

- Allingby
Last edited by Allingby on Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dom
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Re: Making the first set-up. Unable to try-out before buying

Post by Dom »

Hi i have a 3d setup that uses the edimensional glasses and a dlp projector. The newer hardware is best now for games so it's better to get the likes of nvidia, hmd or dlp 120hz displays. Your ghosting can appear on analgraph glasses so you can see driver differences with red/blue glasses I think. I noticed iz3d analgraph has almost no ghosting. Most ghosing is due to syncing with the display so in the case of shutters the drivers are usually not performing the game or video with accurate code. Just remember if you get nvidia 3d vision the monitor is only 22 inches so your gonna need it close to your face for imursion. If you get a 120hz projector then you can sit back and have a home cinema. Gaming on a projector is nice with a controller like xbox360 controller or logitech and others, racing games is also nice with a steering wheel and first person shooters is ok too. For the 600 of an nvidia setup you can get the glasses for 250 and a projector for probably 1200 CAN. The thing about the light bulbs is that you don't watch the projector as much as a tv like 8 hours a day and there is light saving features on them. If you use a projectos bulb for 4 hours a day now and then like 4 days a week the bulb will last for 3-4 years. 3d is not for every game and movie so using 2d is a must for alot of software. 3d is a treat for certain applications.

For head tracking you can use FreeTrack its a program that simulates headtracking for free. All you have to do is consruct a headset for tracking. There is also TrackIR that is really good. Honestly if you have to buy all new stuff for either units it cost the same clostly.
http://www.cns-nynolyt.com/files/doms-systemspecs.html My System specs In HTML

Cyberia on Youtube

__________________________________________________________________________________________
Allingby
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Allingby »

I must say, shutters seems pretty attractive, now :shutter All I need now is some opinions on different polarized solutions :P
Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by Neil »

I know this is off topic, but I really like your sig. Very creative!

Regards,
Neil
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Well if you just want to get your feet wet then using anaglyph on your Samsung isn't a bad option. Obviously it won't match the quality of a real setup but it should give you enough of a taste to know if you want to spend some real dough on a serious setup. I recommend the ProView anaglyph glasses (also known as ProX). You should be able to pick one up for around $10 in the US maybe more elsewhere:
http://www.3dstereo.com/viewmaster/gla-pvu.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In terms of a real solution it sounds to me like you might be interested in the Viewsonic 3D projector which works with the Nvidia 3D Vision (PJD6220-3D). The whole kit should run around $900 but maybe more if you import. Other than that maybe get the Samsung 120Hz monitor (2233RZ). I would recommend the Zalman, but clearly you already made up your mind.
Allingby
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Allingby »

Yes, that might be off-topic, but thanks, neil! :D

And I think I might have a complete set-up in mind, now. The Samsung/3D Vision Bundle on one side for not-that-big-screen gaming, and desktop work. A couple of Pro X glasses for the TV, and then I'll wait some and see where this Laser 3D goes. Starting with the Pro X (Which look quiet Stylish, I must say :woot )
With the smaller Samsung monitor, it's gotta be one-man play, so one set of shutters is good. And on the big screen, more sets of glasses is kinda important, so I'll be waiting for that HDI, see what sizes they're gonna go for... If not, a 3D DLP :P
Am I on the right track?

EDIT: Okay, I was not on the right track :oops: I'm dropping the Sammy 3D monitor... For the Acer 24" 16:9 1080p Monitor :D
Freke1
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Freke1 »

Hi
Kool now we are 2 guys from Denmark :woot (or maybe there is more?).
I can't find any DLP TV's here so I bought the Samsung PS50B450 50" plasma TV which also works in 3D. Made a video of it a few days ago:
http://www.3d.wep.dk/MIS/Samsung_PS50B450.wmv" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (rightclick - save) (193 Mb)
I'm also looking forward to the big 3D ready HD TV's that doesn't ghost and doesn't use checkerboard 3D and are sold in Europe and doesn't cost "de hvide ud af øjnene" :D
Hopefully 2010, 2011.
Allingby
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Allingby »

I had a feeling you were'a Dane, considering the .dk domain :wink: I've looked at those, but I have put myself in a 720p boycott, at least for a display that big :shock:
And also, do you have some Anaglyph glasses? And if so, where'd you get them, how much? :)
Freke1
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Freke1 »

I have these:
http://www.3dstereo.com/viewmaster/gla-prox.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (~10$)
http://www.3dstereo.com/viewmaster/gla-anad15.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (~12$)
but the best are Lee filters: (HT)026-red and (HT)116-medium blue-green. (from http://www.leefilters.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;).
Ordering from USA is expensive though because of costums fees.
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

If you like, pm me your address and i'll send you a pair of lee-filters. I don't have much left but it's enough to make your own glasses. Otherwise i can make a simple pair of paperframe ones (@ Freke-style ^^ ) for you.
And yes: Ordering from usa is expensive. No need to though since many local disco-light-soundshops have them as standard colorfilters.
For instance here in sweden both a somewhat local discostore in jönköping as well as this swedish company holds them: http://www.ljusljudmusik.se/?page=shop/ ... 7&mnuexp=2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The best bet should be a local discoshop because of the ability to buy smaller quantities.
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
Allingby
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Allingby »

Generous offer, and great store hunting, but I think I'm going for a new plan. I'm gonna buy about 10-20 Pro X sets, keeping the shipping lower, due to mass-order. Then take a look at the final price, cut it in said quantity, and sell what I don't need! :D (I'll keep 5)
I'll acquire some Green/Magenta and some Colorcode cardboards later, just to have it, but most of the stuff I see is in Red/Cyan... Or Cross-eye (I can't cross my eyes, sadly)
Hornet
Cross Eyed!

Post by Hornet »

I think best it is in this time combination of NV 3D and samsung monitor and Acer projector

My old 2 Benq with 2048x768 at 85 Hz are too not bad, 120 Hz is better.
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

Dual projection is most probably visually better than any other solutions if using decent components. It's expensive though (up to or even more than 3 times a dlp/shutter rig).
Compability is among the best there is today: It works with more or less all solutions (nvidia old school if you meet the old school criteria, tridef, iz3d, stereoscopic player etc...). Ironically new nvidiastereo (3d-vision) doesn't support anything else than their hardware of choice... and dual projection is not among them.
Even though dual projection rigs are quite futureproof as well even if mainplayers like nvidia actively choose not to support them.
If you want compability the zalman is a great choice as well. I believe almost everything coded for stereo works with it. :lol:
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
Allingby
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Allingby »

Dual-Projectors on the silver-screen... I must say, I love the idea!
Page-flip seems like just another short-cut to 3D, one picture at a time simply sounds, and is cheap. Reverse shutter-glasses, it is :shock:
But for now, I'm gonna go with shutters, on a smaller screen (Waiting for Acer's 24") And Have Occasional Anaglyph on my 40" :P
When the time comes, where I feel rich enough to make the Ultimate 1080p 2x DLP set-up, technology has improved, maybe Lasers are no longer just for rear-projection, and I'm guessing Polarized filters may also have improved :D And also, if the industry starts to put two lenses in one projector, that'd be awesome! HDMI 1.4, or two 1.0's-1.3's, Dual-Link DVI, such as... Things would be perfect, and I hope this is where it's going, but I can only hope :wink:

Return to “I'm New To Stereoscopic 3D!”