IZ3D Light Collimation Mod

Tutorials on how to create your own rigs, pics, movies, and everything that has to do with S-3D at home!
PalmerTech
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

IZ3D Light Collimation Mod

Post by PalmerTech »

Don't get too excited, not much progress thus far. ;)

Some people have suggested that IZ3D ghosting could possibly be fixed by collimating the light from the backlight into a more coherent form. I have played around with 3M Vikuiti films before when performing LED backlight mods to CCFL displays, and they have solutions that look like they will work well.

Anybody have any ideas/feedback? I am mostly looking for feedback from IZ3D staff, as this must have seemed an obvious step if it makes a difference, and I am curious as to why it was left out. I am currently waiting on some engineering samples from 3M that are large enough for the IZ3D monitor, but it can take as long as 3 weeks for them to work through the system. Figured I may as well get some insight on this while I wait. :mrgreen:

Either way, it will be a fairly easy mod, and one I have done with other films countless times. No offense to the IZ3D team, but I suspect the light diffusion materials in their monitor are below the quality of some of the Vikuiti stuff. It would be especially nice if I could swap out the rear polarizer for something with better transmission and light recycling characteristics, but I will probably hold off on that unless I can get a go-ahead from someone who knows if the IZ3D rearmost polarization panel is normal stuff, or some funky thing they cooked up themselves. :P
PalmerTech

Re: IZ3D Light Collimation Mod

Post by PalmerTech »

Tried this out a bit more, had a small amount of luck. Until I can get my hands on those new glasses, though, I am going to stop for now (May as well go for the best solution before wasting time).

Then again, I might just try my hand at my own polarized glasses... Looks are no object for me. :lol:
Rosomack
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Rosomack »

Nice! Keep us informed :)
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

I am skeptical, but it would be interesting if you got this to work.
PalmerTech

Post by PalmerTech »

I am skeptical as well, but I wanted to get some of this Vikuiti film for some other projects, so I will not be dissapointed if it does not work.

I am mainly doing it because a few members seem to be convinced it will really help, namely martinlandau. Where did he go, BTW? Anybody know? He vanished, and has not responded to my PM... :(

Anyhow, the difference I see with the small bit I have now it a very small decrease in ghosting, but it is so little it could almost be placebo effect. Hence, wait for new glasses. :D
Welder
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Welder »

Hello, interesting things you are trying.

The glasses should be out sometime soon(Still not sure exactly when). So don't worry :)
PalmerTech

Post by PalmerTech »

Thanks, I can't wait. I tried using my own LCD grade polarizer sheets to make glasses, and while they did seem to do better at ghosting, the colors were off (They have a thin protective film that aids in adhesion to glass using adhesive, I suspect that was the problem).

Return to “Do it Yourself!”