New 3D Stereodisplay special for gamers.

Defender
Two Eyed Hopeful

New 3D Stereodisplay special for gamers.

Post by Defender »

They say you don't need glasses. I don't know how they do it. May be someone has already seen it at gamesconvention or can tell anything about the technic.

http://www.spatialview.com/products.cfm?cat=24&id=234
- My stereo rig -
- iZ3D 22'' - GTX 260 - i7 920 - 12GB Ram - Windows 7 64bit
Jahun
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Jahun »

Not sure, but it is probably by blanking, like the Newsight autostereoscopic displays.

I have my doubts about these... few facts afaik:
-sit in 1 spot, this monitor doesn't seem to track your head so ok 3D view is only for 1 person at 1 place, pretty precise. (this seems to be a 1 view monitor)
-brightness drop by at least 50% (since it blanks)

It works sort of like this: You have a normal screen, with a screen in front of it (or sometimes just a taped on lines array (something you can make yourself, shabby but sort of works a little bit )), this front screen or array makes you see only a certain amount of the lines below it. Any eye (of whomever it may be) looking at the monitor, will see from a certain angle and by this see only certain pixels. In this way you can differentiate signals to the eyes (ok this is a mega shabby explanation, look it up if you need more.. :) ).

Why I would prefer IZ3D above this monitor anytime:
-This one is more expensive, smaller, less pixels
-Why would I want to cope with all the quirks of glasses free gaming, when I can get alot better results wearing cool glasses.
-IZ3D seem to support alot more games
-This company does nothing new, I don't know if they'll last since they sell standard things, no company -> no driver updates

I think the only place where a autostereoscopic viewing solution is preferred, is when you need to lure people into shops, fairs, malls. Or perhaps to catch them off guard and surprise people with the coolness of 3D.
In your own home for instance, what's the use....

ps: I did watch a few displays like this and I wasn't too excited. A version that did head tracking was better (since you can at least move your head a bit..) Philips does something remotely similar, but they use lenses. In this way you don't lose alot of brightness from the serious blanking. (in a 5 viewer setup, each viewer sees only 20% of original brightness)

Return to “General Stereoscopic 3D Discussion”