will this work? (120hz lcd question)

xexa
One Eyed Hopeful

will this work? (120hz lcd question)

Post by xexa »

My dell crt monitor just completely died (image was flickering for a few days and now it just won't turn on) and so it looks like I'll finally be getting an lcd monitor, but I don't want to lose the abilitity to use my shutter glasses (edimensional). I wanted to know if the following setup might work:
the viewsonic VX2265wm 120hz lcd monitor hooked up to the dvi output on my 7800gs card
the edimensional dongle hooked up to the vga output on the same 7800gs card, with it set to clone the display to both outputs

would this allow me to use the edimensional glasses on this monitor without needing to buy the new nvidia glasses made for dvi?
I would think it would if both the lcd and the glasses are getting the same 120hz output from two difference connections on the same graphic card, but I've found that with these things there often seems to be some difficulty I didn't think of!
if anyone knows it would be a huge help to me in making my decision of what to get. Thanks!
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: will this work? (120hz lcd question)

Post by cybereality »

Just stop beating around the bush and get the full Nvidia 3D Vision kit. Don't even bother with those ED glasses and antique hardware.

But to answer your question, I don't think that will work. Not sure if anyone has tried though...
xexa
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by xexa »

I was looking at the 120hz monitor so I could get the nvidia glasses in the future, but my current pc doesn't support it (geforce 7800gs agp, so I need to get a new card and a new motherboard that supports pci) and after getting a new monitor I won't be able to get a new pc for a little while. That is why I was hoping this setup might work for now. If the same image is cloned to both outputs then would it not work because of the differences in display types between lcd and crt, even when the lcd is 120hz? Like I said before, I know there is a good chance it won't work, but I would like to know because if it does it would be a great temporary solution until I get a new pc. Thanks.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Ok, I see. You could also take a look at the Zalman Trimon. That is supported with older Nvidia drivers if you can select "Horizontal Interlace" which I believe worked on the 91.31 driver. It is also supported with IZ3D and DDD drivers on XP. It only uses a single DVI plug so you should have no problems.

It really is the best 3D monitor you can buy for the price:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... _-24118001" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
xexa
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by xexa »

thanks a ton for the recommendation, if the 2d quality is good (another thing that I liked about the viewsonic 120hz lcd) than that monitor looks like it would work really well. I assume it would work with stereoscopic player?

Also I just saw a review of the monitor that said you need to use vista, but I currently have xp. Can the older xp nvidia 3d drivers work with the trimon?
Gae43
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Gae43 »

OK, I've tried a similar setup and 3D just does not work on LCD. Sure you may get a "bit" of 3D but there will be a horrible double image throughout. I've tried it on various displays..I experimented for hours and hours on an LCD screen and LCD projector and although there was some 3D effect, it couldn't compare to the CRT monitor. I thought the dongles only worked over VGA? I have the Extreme 3D system and it would only work over VGA, not DVI.
My final solution? I picked up an Infocus X1 DLP projector off ebay for £100 (about $162). It was well worth it for me as I only really watch 3D movies. The quality blew me away when I first saw it....the 3D looked every bit as good as the CRT monitor (at 800 x 600 res) only on a 70" screen....a pretty good 3D solution for the price.

Gae43

Return to “Stereoscopic 3D Hardware Technical Support”