S-3D Gaming Alliance (S3DGA) Announced

Straight press releases and article referrals for review and discussion.
metalqueen
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by metalqueen »

Aug 06, 2009 14:19 ET

Stereoscopic 3D (S-3D) Gaming Standards & Advocacy Group Formed as Top Game Developers Present S-3D Technology Demos at SIGGRAPH

NEW ORLEANS, LA--(Marketwire - August 6, 2009) - SIGGRAPH -- As a technology demo, Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ: ERTS) worked with Dynamic Digital Depth (DDD) to give a flawless glimpse of what their upcoming award-winning title, Need For Speed™ SHIFT, will look like when played with stereoscopic 3D drivers. Other technology demos included Crytek's CryEngine3 running in S-3D with native support, and a showing of Blitz Games Studios' Invincible Tiger: The Legend of Han Tao, arguably the first console game to support modern stereoscopic 3D technologies. To add to the fun, all demos were presented on a huge RealD projection screen as part of SIGGRAPH's Computer and Animation Festival.

According to the U-DECIDE Initiative, a well received study of modern gamers, 93% of survey respondents want to see game developers support stereoscopic 3D technology. The industry's answer is to start development of The S-3D Gaming Alliance, an organization that is 100% focused on making stereoscopic 3D gaming possible through standards, education, and product adoption.

Some of S3DGA's founding companies include Blitz Games Studios, DDD, iZ3D, Jon Peddie Research, TDVision Corp, XpanD, and more. The President and CEO of S3DGA will be Neil Schneider, best known for his pioneering work on Meant to be Seen (http://www.mtbs3D.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;), the world's leading website focused on stereoscopic 3D gaming and entertainment.

"I personally love to game in stereoscopic 3D, and it's about time this became a mass market technology. We have a great team of expert companies, and with additional industry support, yes -- S3DGA is going to make this happen," said Neil Schneider.

High immersion S-3D gaming experiences include explosions that pop out of the screen and a sense of depth so real that players think they can place their hands inside the display. S-3D technology is growing popular in the home with products like LCD shutter glasses, 3D monitors, and several new and developing 3D HDTV and projection solutions.

"Neil Schneider, via MTBS, has done a great job of supporting the rapidly-growing S-3D market. There are some amazing creative opportunities in this new field and having the support of a community such as his is a powerful resource for anyone working in this area. We are therefore happy to support and encourage his ongoing work with the newly-formed S3DGA and look forward to its success," said Andrew Oliver, Co-Founder of Blitz Games Studios.

"MTBS, and now S3DGA, works with our early adopters, and while other organizations may claim to be able to speak to gaming, Neil and his group actually take the time to play the games. XpanD is very interested in participating in the S-3D Gaming Alliance's next steps," said Ami Dror, Chief Strategist for XpanD.

The effect of a standards group such as S3DGA is to accelerate the adoption of technology by presenting a forum for members to express, test, and agree on ideas and approaches to educating consumers.

"Stereovision (S-3D) gaming is here," said Dr. Jon Peddie of Jon Peddie Research (JPR). "It is affordable, accessible, and playable, and is in need of a consolidating agency to be the clearing-house for ideas, standards, products, and consumer education. S3DGA is the alliance that has answered that call. We will be working with them to help drive this forward."

Getting Started in 3D Gaming

An introductory S3DGA meeting will be held during the 3D Entertainment Summit. Founded by Bob Dowling, Former Editor in Chief of the Hollywood Reporter, this conference is considered the largest of its type, and features industry leading names including: James Cameron, Jeffrey Katzenberg, and countless more. S3DGA meeting attendees qualify for a 25% discount on summit registration when they use the "S3DGA" discount code. Attendance will be confirmed.

"I am overwhelmed by the progress made in the last year in the 3D gaming world, and we are excited to be part of the next logical step by helping launch The S-3D Gaming Alliance at this year's 3D Entertainment Summit," said Bob Dowling, 3D Entertainment Summit Founder.

For more information about S3DGA membership or to inquire about the first meeting speaking opportunities, write to S3DGA at members@S3DGA.com.

To help interested organizations get started in S-3D, S3DGA is making available the extensive U-DECIDE Initiative Report at a discounted price of $995 USD. For organizations that also join S3DGA, the price of the report will be credited against the organization's membership fees. AMD, Blitz Games Studios, Guild Software, iZ3D, Meant to be Seen, and The Game Creators made U-DECIDE possible.

The S-3D Gaming Alliance, S3DGA, is a 3D gaming and entertainment industry standards and advocacy group charted to accelerate the adoption of 3D gaming and display technology by providing for standards discussions, consumer promotion, education, and awareness. Membership is comprised of organizations and individuals with an interest in developing 3D solutions. S3DGA membership inquiries should be directed to members@S3DGA.com. Visit http://www.s3dga.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for more information.

© 2009 S-3D Gaming Alliance. S3DGA and the S3DGA logo are trademarks of The S-3D Gaming Alliance. All other names, logos, and marks are the property of their respective owners.
Media Inquiries:
Carol Warren
Crew Communications
Tel. 714-890-4500
Email cwarren@crewcommunications.com
- Non-profit, non-partisan.
- Features user contributed education sessions, blogs, and content.
- Safe to interact, registration requires formal non-disclosure agreement. Membership list is equally confidential.
- Open to all except press. People can join as individuals or companies.
- People say the industry needs to get together and learn from one another. This is our chance.
cybereality

Re: S-3D Gaming Alliance (S3DGA) Announced

Post by cybereality »

Cool, I wish you guys the best of luck.
RAGEdemon
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by RAGEdemon »

Sounds Awesome. I'm sure it will be :)
Windows 11 64-Bit | 12900K @ 5.3GHz | 2080 Ti OC | 32GB 3900MHz CL16 RAM | Optane PCIe SSD RAID-0 | Sound Blaster ZxR | 2x 2000W ButtKicker LFE | nVidia 3D Vision | 3D Projector @ DSR 1600p | HP Reverb G2
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

Awesome! The snowball's growing bigger! :D
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
DmitryKo
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by DmitryKo »

An industry alliance tasked with making standards and performing compliance testing... that's quite a step forward from a club of stereo gaming enthusianst, however influential they are! Congratulations, Neil!

I guess in the long term, the effort could lay solid ground for the next logical step - that is encouraging Microsoft and Kronos to update their Direct3D and OpenGL/ES graphics APIs with full support for stereoscopic rendering!

If you recall, in a Fall 2008 interview with Mr. Asadov of iZ3D I asked about an industry-wide standard for stereo game profiles and stereo API, and whether Microsoft is interested in stereo-awareness at the core level of Direct3D API - the answers basically were that gaming industry is generally not even interested in testing for stereo, and that the planning window to feature steroscopic rendering support in the next version has unfortunately passed (Direct3D11 will ship with Windows 7 this Fall - and some time later with Vista SP3, AFAIK).

Hopefully, as more and more developers discover their games in a decent quality stereoscopic 3D, the demand for proper stereo rendering will drive API standardization effors (or the other way round, if the next Xbox console will have native stereo support as speculated).
phil
Cross Eyed!

Post by phil »

Great stuff, congrats & best of luck to all involved! 8)

One thing that the S3DGA could do that would be ultra-valuable is to make sure that the correct maths of stereo graphics are crystal clear to anyone implementing native 3D.
Otherwise, programmers who don't know any better will implement it with toed-in cameras, giving crappy uncomfortable results (and they won't even realise it's wrong).

The very best thing we could put on the S3DGA website is a bare-bones DirectX app (with C/C++ source code) that just renders a test scene in stereo, and allows the following parameters to be controlled:
- interpupillary distance (real distance between the viewer's eyes)
- screen width (physical width of the screen surface)
- zero parallax distance (in-game distance to the zero-parallax plane)
- stereo strength (a 0..1 multiplier for the view and projection offsets)

Does anyone know of an app that is already written for this purpose? Or failing that, an article that describes the same maths in a very straightforward way (as a stop-gap solution that we can link to on the site)?
An app like this should also be included in the DirectX SDK. Like, eight years ago :P

Are there any thoughts on this? Do you agree?

Cheers,
phil
BlackShark
Certif-Eyable!

Post by BlackShark »

Industry support for S3D is our objective, I hope the S3DGA will gather more and more support from the industry. I wish you good luck Neil !
Passive 3D forever !
DIY polarised dual-projector setup :
2x Epson EH-TW3500 (2D 1080p)
Xtrem Screen Daylight 2.0, for polarized 3D
3D Vision gaming with signal converter : VNS Geobox 501
martinlandau
Certif-Eyed!

Post by martinlandau »

Guys this is so desperately needed. During the nvidia s3d presentation of resident evil 5 at siggraph, andrew oliver from blitz games was in the audience and asked them about an s3d solution on consoles. The asian presenter, who was a really nice and smart guy said nope can't be done! Now for those that don't know, blitz has already DONE an s3d game for both xbox and ps3 - http://www.invincibletiger.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; I wish EVERYONE could have seen andrews facial expression and my own - talk about jaws hitting floors. I am sure the guy really believed that s3d on consoles was not possible, but the problem is he spread that misinformation to many other people in that room that day who now believe s3d on current consoles can't be done! UGG! Siggraph was recording a lot of the conferences, so maybe when the siggraph DVD comes out, we all can get to watch andrew olivers and my face twist in the sillyness :) Andrew also pointed out how some of the tv manufactures were not aware of thier own technology and how it can be used to do s3d with consoles. It truly is an education effort at this point, I ran into Sony at infocomm and several of thier staff said sony had no s3d solutions, but what projector was used at the s3d panel neil presented at during siggraph? Also I have talked to many mitsubishi retailers and diamond level distributors for them, most properly represented the s3d technology, but some actually thought to get the tv to work in s3d you had to wear anaglyph glasses - UGG!
The futures so bright, I gotta wear shades!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDdI_sfNop8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
martinlandau
Certif-Eyed!

Post by martinlandau »

Neil, since you guys are going to be working on new game standards anyways relating to s3d, I want to ask if there is anyone thinking about standards related to gaming on curved or dome or spherical screens so we can kill 2 birds with 1 stone - the last post linked in the thread below I give a couple ideas but the whole thread has ideas too. What games allow us to change FOV to 180 or more? I know the guys at widescreengaming forums maybe interested in new standards too - with jdome - the frex canopy half dome and many other gaming solutions coming out - this needs consideration too no? I am thinking of stereo projection onto a small 5 foot dome to do driving and racing and first person shooting s3d dome gaming. I have linked to some academic studies that wide FOV adds as much as S3D to an immersive gaming experience. WIDE FOV was the one thing I really didn't see ANYONE at siggraph plugging, just like we have to stop thinking monoscopally and start thinking sterescopically to make our games better, we need to go up from 40 FOV to 180 FOV type thinkig in game design and development too!

http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpbb/viewtopic.p ... 163#p29163" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You should be the Jesus for this technology as well. As to cost, not to worry, many flight sim and racing sim folks are already doing things cheaply, frex canopy has a solution that is only around 1K I believe. the Jdome guy will have a commercial solution soon that should be even cheaper than that too.

Also I have contacted several plastics manufacturers so far you can get a nice dome screen here http://www.cleardomes.com/domes.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for under 500 dollars that is 60 inch diameter that is as good as the old Vision Workstations dome that was costing 20,000.00 Perhaps some members here can find a source for even cheaper small domes?

I am going to try to have a dome gaming setup ready in the next month or so and maybe you can show that off at the S3dGA? I think just like your panel on s3d gaming at siggraph, it could impress a lot of people if done right.

One of the art schools looking for new students at siggraph had a driving simulation programmed by some of thier students on I believe an apex seat http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifenyhFLLjw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

here is another http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1iEtjs6S80" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wouldn't Habib have liked that even better?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfTCDCKQnWM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For that matter, while we are setting new gaming standards, perhaps developers maybe need to think about these simulation seats that are being sold so they can program their games to have the right hydraulics settings.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDdI_sfNop8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BlackShark
Certif-Eyable!

Post by BlackShark »

3D is a niche market that hardware manufacturers are about to push into the mainstream market : they want to make standards because they need it to make it mainstream.

Multiscreen wide high fov gaming is a niche market, it does exist (mainly simulation fans) but it's niche and it's not promoted by hardware manufacturers so i'm not expecting anyone to be interested in making all games compatible with high fov.

Moving simulators ? it's the coolest gadget ever but it's not considered as a consumer product... forget about it for many years.
Passive 3D forever !
DIY polarised dual-projector setup :
2x Epson EH-TW3500 (2D 1080p)
Xtrem Screen Daylight 2.0, for polarized 3D
3D Vision gaming with signal converter : VNS Geobox 501
martinlandau
Certif-Eyed!

Post by martinlandau »

BlackShark wrote:Moving simulators ? it's the coolest gadget ever but it's not considered as a consumer product... forget about it for many years.
LOL! I reject your interpretation of reality blackshark and substitute it for my own. I am not going to live forever and I just don't have time to wait for everybody else to eventually get it - chris jarram sold me! I already had several people at siggraph tell me that if there is wide enough market demand, engineering the hardware and software solutions can be done RAPIDLY, as in under a year. Now what companies have you specifically talked to that told you with 10 million consumers of demand it will take more than a few years?
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Lets just try to fight one battle here. I am all for full sensory virtual-reality haptic force-feedback dolby 7.1 surround sound smell-o-vision stereo 3d micro-projected straight to the optic nerve with the optional tele-dildonic interface but lets take one step at a time.
martinlandau
Certif-Eyed!

Post by martinlandau »

Cyber, they asked andrew oliver why didn't he just WAIT until the new consoles came out with better s3d support and more hardware and software options and more developers/manufacturers supporting or even considering s3d. We have invincible tiger on the way because he was not about waiting around. Do you think he should have just waited around and let the world catch up to him? There is an old saying, the reasonable man adapts to the world, the unreasonable man makes the world adapt to him, In the spirit of Andrew Oliver and Blitz Games, I opt for the unreasonable man! One way got us s3d on xbox and ps3 NOW, the other way was a few years off - I can't believe the people here who want to crawl into the future at a slugs pace!!! Look you all need to read alvin tofflers FuTURESHock! There is no waiting around, it is war out there, and people of old that like to go slow and easy, and one battle at a time are going to get squashed in this brave new world. As Bill Gates said many times, the pace of innovation is only going to accelerate exponentially.
martinlandau
Certif-Eyed!

Post by martinlandau »

My French is rusty guys, parlez vous francais? Thank god and Douglas Adams, and arthur dent for babelfish!

http://www.ultimateps3.fr/news-ps3-3015 ... pique.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://babelfish.yahoo.com/translate_ur ... =Translate" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Electronic Arts and Crytek in partnership to develop the 3D StéréoscopiquePosté by Pierre G | 08.08.2009 | 09:54 | Comments: 11 | Readings: 1462

* ” Electronic Arts and Crytek in partnership to develop the Stereoscopic 3D

Presented at the beginning of year, the Stereoscopic 3D brings a level of immersion in the video game ever reached for the moment. A consortium was created to promote it, by which one learns that Electronic Arts and Crytek launched a partnership to work together on this novel mode 3D.

The S-3D Gaming Alliance (S3DGA), consortium having for goal to contribute to the development of the Stereoscopic 3D in the video games, wishes to make a short-term reality of it. Thus, the S3DGA works with Electronic Arts and Crytek (creative of Cry Engine 3) to bring the stereoscopic 3D in major plays on console by 2010.

This technology was developed by Blitz Games last (see this news), and was at the end of the year presented to the general public at the time it THESE 2009 (see this news)

Initially, the Invincible play Tiger: The Legend Of Han CAT which will leave on August 27 on the PSN will be the very first play in stereoscopic 3D. This mode will include a 2D mode and a mode 3D, this last which can be exploited with glasses red/blue for those not having a HDTV 3D Ready (i.e. 99,9% of people).

lordthor
Go back to inscription: 23-06-2008

Re: Electronic Arts and Crytek in partnership to develop the Stereoscopic 3D

very a good news for us, the 3D is concretized more and more. Thus if I include/understand the television set fullHD well or HDTV 1080p are not compatible 3D? thus red and black glasses?

Off line

#3 08-08-2009 10:47: 03

chaton51
Confirmed
Birthday: 19/8/1973
Go back to inscription: 13-10-2008

I doubt extremely that the poor glasses blue red has 10 balls make the deal…

and I doubt extremely that this technology is essential. already that the majority of people does not have same step of what then matter films in true HD… the plays.
http://mypsn.eu.playstation.com/psn/pro ... ton_51.png" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Off line

#4 08-08-2009 11:12: 34

Sphax Masculine
Tested
Birthday: 26/6/1984
Go back to inscription: 10-06-2008

According to what I read on various sites and news, currently they work on 2 different technologies:
- Stereoscopic 3D with glasses and compatible screen fullHD 120-200 Hz (which supports in minimum 120 different images a second)
- 3D without glasses via the screens 3D to come on the market.

The 1st solution will be compatible with the PS3 and one should see soon films and plays which use this technique. NVidia already planned besides the exit of glasses for the stereoscopic 3D.

The 2nd solution is a project which is still far from being ready and still far from being marketed for the general public.

wink2

EDICT: Name “3DReady” will certainly be affixed with the screens HD which are able to deliver 120-200Hz with management of 120 different images a second.

Last modification by Sphax (08-08-2009 11:14: 36)
The government wants to put to you on listening… Accept it? Fight AGAINST HADOPI!

Off line

#5 08-08-2009 11:32: 55

Cyril68 Masculine
Caption
ID PSN: Scyril68
Place: Mulhouse
Go back to inscription: 16-08-2008
Web site

Spy
Confirmed
Go back to inscription: 13-12-2008

Here materially what that should impose:

- A television set able to post 120 i/s
- A television set able TO RECEIVE 120 i/s
- A television set equipped with catch HDMI 1.4 (réso 4K & 3D) or
a television set equipped with a compatible controller HDMI.
- A diffuser able to emit with 120 i/s

Approximately, that wants to say:

- Reflect well before buying a TV
- Our PS3 will be in any event unable to make of the 60 i/s STABLE with one returned of 720P high-quality (I do not even speak about 1080P, but I am ready to mislead me!)

In short it is badly barred, the PC goes as usual making the gap on the subject…
Omnes Alis humanus

Off line

#11 08-08-2009 19:41: 09

ironlug
Amateur
ID PSN: ironlug
Go back to inscription: 09-07-2008

Me in the news on “a new advertisement for August 18” I said that it was going to announce the stereoscopic 3D for the ps3. With the concealment it is possible, toshiba makes use of it in its new TV 3D. And even without tele 3D with unt tvhd standart its possible remainder it is enough to apply a filter to the play (of course it is not so simple but it is the job of the developer which will have to integrate it into the beginning of the design of the play). In addition the glasses red and green it is exceeded I do not know if you are go to the cinema lately (for the Top) but the glasses are gray and the image is of much better quality than with glasses two-tone: it there ace not this yellowish color a little dégueu as it is the case on my bluray “voyage in the center of the ground” (but the 3D returns well) and not its fact much less badly with cranium too. Thus like known as in the news, nothing surprennat has what its unloads since 2010 and those on TV normal.
Plays: COD4, Burnout paradise, AWG IV, Wipeout HD, FIFA 09, LittleBIgPlanet, Street fighter II turbo HD remix, Skate 2, Motorstorm pacific rift, Fallout 3
To come: Killzone 2, Street fighter 4, COD6
ID PSN: ironlug

Off line

#12 09-08-2009 12:05: 04
martinlandau
Certif-Eyed!

Post by martinlandau »

Guys here it looks like you can download all the stereo3d panels, including Neils. Nvidia guys this will give you a chance to hear the s3dga announcement and neils invitation to everyone to come to california next month to help set standards for stereo3d games.

https://encore.siggraph.org/online/Siggraph/default.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Andrew Olivier, Kat Elliott, Neil Schneider, Habib Zargarpour

Computer Animation Festival

Panel

The Masters Speak: Game Developers Weigh in on True 3D Gaming
*Subject to speaker(s) permission

$19.99
Peter Lude, Kat Elliott

Computer Animation Festival

Guest Speaker

The State of 3D for Entertainment in Theaters and Home
*Subject to speaker(s) permis
martinlandau
Certif-Eyed!

Post by martinlandau »

Neil it seems like Cedia is going to be in atlanta right after dragoncon from sept 9 - 13 and there is a panel there that is going to talk about stereo3d standards for home entertainment, perhaps you need to contact them? If you make dragoncon you can talk to all the game developers about s3d, and then make Cedia, which has to be one of the top conferences in the world relating to televisions, home theater, and home entertainment.

http://www.cedia.net/expo/index2009.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

3D: what You must Know
Catalog #: 25159, Thursday: 2:00 p.m. - 3:30 p.m.
CEU Value: 0.75
Moderator: Michael Heiss, M. Heiss Consulting – CCI
Course Code: ESD011
After high defnition, what is the next “gotta have” for home theater? That is
the question that has been lingering within the custom installation channel
for the last few years. It seems like 3D may be “it,” or at least a major
component of “it.” Before you jump into 3D, there are many areas that need
to be understood in order to ensure maximum viewing experience. This
panel discussion will cover key topics including:
• Is this going to be another format battle? What needs to be standardized,
who will do it, and how long will that take?
• What are the current format proposals and how can I plan for them today?
° Glasses – active, passive, or none?
° Impact on content distribution – will we need something new?
° Impact on displays?
° Will it be HD or not?
° Where will the content come from and when?
° Where do higher resolutions and virtual reality ft in to 3D?
• What are the primary design considerations?
• What are the timing and cost issues?

Return to “MTBS Newswire”