Any new IZ3D 22" reviews??

Jahun
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Any new IZ3D 22" reviews??

Post by Jahun »

The monitor has been sent out to the first ppl now... anyone here that got one and cares to write a review of it?

(I know Sharky, I just want more, more!!! reviews :P)
sharky
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by sharky »

wow.. a commentar for me... :D i am not shure that they already arrived to the first guys.. usually it takes some days because of the customs and things like that.. but i am also curious to see some reviews here.. :)
Adam Savage: "I reject your reality and substitute it for my own."
Jamie Hyneman: "It's really cool, but really unusual."

tallguy
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by tallguy »

I received mine yesterday and got around to hooking it up last night.
I think I may need to work out a couple nuances before making any negative comments as:
First, I haven't corresponded with technical support yet.
Second, I'm not sure that I'm currently using the monitor as intended.
Third, I'm more interested in creating 3D photo and video media than playing games. For that matter, I do not own a single recommended game.

Applications that will be of primary interest to me will be things like NVIDIA Stereo Viewer, JPS Viewer, Stereoscopic Player, and so on.

First impressions are that the optimal results for this monitor technology will be derived from making use of the provided 3D driver. And that the provided driver is almost exclusively for use with 3D games.

The one positive comment I can give at this point is that it does look nice as a 2D wide screen monitor. That said, I have little to compare it against. I've been using CRT monitors almost exclusively to this point (for better color balance and better results with shutter glasses).

Once I have had an opportunity to work out any issues with iZ3D?s support staff and maybe play a recommended game I will try to give you a fair comprehensive review of the monitor. I will give special attention to its use with the NVIDIA stereo drivers and non-game related capabilities.
Dgephri
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Dgephri »

as requested from the iZ3D forums, I typed up my thoughts so far, having used the 22" for a couple weeks now, and just completed a full weekend of LANing at PDXLAN.

If any of the pics are too big, or violate any forum guidelines, realize I am Noob here, but not noob in general. :) I don't want to trod on any community rules.

My thoughts on the iZ3D 22? widescreen:

Dgephri 9/5/07

Hardware:
Intel Quadcore QX6700 on watercooling
4X1Gb DDR2-800 Crucial Ballistix Tracer
4X1TB Hitachi 32Mb 7200rpm Perp
8800Ultra on watercooling

And?the iZ3D 22? 1680X1050 3D Display. :wink:

I saw the 17? models at PDXLAN, and when developing the final specs on my latest PC Mod I was exploring some HDCP issues, and thought of the iZ3D monitors.

I was lucky enough to get the opportunity to put the 22? model through its paces shortly before PDXLAN 10.

After playing with the Bioshock demo, I purchased the full version at Direct2Drive. I HAD to have it in 3D.

I tested out UT2k4, TombRaider Legend, Flatout2, and then ran into a problem with my BluRay solution from Cyberlink: anytime I had iZ3D at Enable, or Enable by Hotkey, Cyberlink would error out with a Windows message ?report this error.?

Aaron was very helpful, and helped me out with a Profile.txt change to exclude the BluRay movie player from the iZ3D list of applications. I use the Nvidia PureHD application to assist in HD decoding, and I figure that triggers the iZ3D wrapper interfacing with the Nvidia driver and Cyberlink BluRay goes ?ummm, I don?t think so.?

From the first day I had it hooked up, I personally enjoyed the colors, and finish more than my Viewsonic 20? 4ms screen of the same resolution. Although it might be perceived to have a Softer look since it?s a 22? @ 1680 instead of a 20? @ 1680 like the Viewsonic, I am pleased with the scaling, and even running some games at 1440X to reduce GPU load of 3D modes (BioShock running 3D @ 1680 on my 8800Ultra dips under 20fps at Max options). None of my other LCDs (all Viewsonic premium lines) were enjoyable at less than optimum resolution.

Unfortunately, while showing it off at the LAN, I constantly turned the Depth and Separation waaaaaay out of wack to show off the adjustability of the options. As a result, I never really got all my games set for ME. :roll:

Since the package had 3 sets of glasses, I decided to set up a quick way to keep them handy:
http://www.amazon.com/80s-Purple-Sungla ... 53-7092638
I simply removed the wire clamps off the back, and mounted them to the top of the iZ3D with double stick by 3M.

This kept them out of the way, and available for people to walk up and try.

The tilt adjustment on the Display is good and ranges from below the horizontal plane, up to about 45degrees above the horizontal (guessing here, but it?s nice and stable at all tilts).

I only wish it had a height adjustment like my old Dell 1901, but my Viewsonics don?t have it either.

I found the enclosure lightweight but sturdy. It has no external power ?brick? and so winding up the cords is easy and makes LAN transport a breeze.

The external finish is kind of a satin-smooth metallic grey finish. My adhesives worked fine for the Sunglass clips, and have stayed in place during the entire weekend LAN, and trips both ways. I even added a couple stainless steel strips with thin double stick tape to accentuate my Cylon theme.

TIP: mark the DVI cables to help you remember Red Dot vs. Monitor 1 on your GPU. I found myself resetting the monitors anytime I had to unplug something. Then I took out my little wire marker strips and set Red Dot on the iZ3D end, and Mon1 vs Mon2 on my GPU end.

I would like to see some more controls on the Display besides Brightness, but with DVI and Driver controls, it?s not required, just handy.

Lastly, the annoying Blue light! In my Bedroom at home I have an Olevia 32? LCD TV, which has a blue that is only ON when the TV is OFF? The iZ3D flashing blue light is almost as distracting. It changes to orange in standby mode, but in ON mode it flashes quickly. During Desktop use and Gaming, this becomes a source of reaction, rather than an assurance that the game I am currently playing is, in fact, playing. :lol:

Were I to give this display a score, based on my experience with 3 CRTs, 4 LCDs, and some very advanced supporting hardware, I would give it:

Score of 9.2- reduced only because the DVI cables could be marked to help the User be aware of the connections (RTFM I know), few external adjustments, and the annoying Blue Light.

DX10 support should be forthcoming, and then I will migrate to Vista-64 as soon as my BluRay drive is supported.
sharky

Post by sharky »

nice review.. seems a very objective review. thank you for that.

(by the way, you computer isn't a comptuer.. its a BEAST... :D)

bye

sharky

Dgephri
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Dgephri »

thanks, I have enjoyed working with iZ3D, but still wanted to share some of the finer points that I discovered so far.

I will update as I learn anything new.

Beast: well, taking SFF to the Extreme means dreaming up things like "Triple Quad" and how to do it. :)
4X CPUs
4X Gig RAM
4X TB storage
sharky

Post by sharky »

in order to keep this topic clean i opened a new thread in the off topic section.. check it out... ;)

bye

Dgephri
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Dgephri »

after tomorrow I won't be around for a week (off to SCUBA dive at Roatan) hoping there isn't a 3rd hurricane. :)

But I will be happy to answer stuff up until that point in between packing up my Gear.
Jahun

Post by Jahun »

Dgephri,

Could you comment a bit more on actual gameplay? Did younotice ghosting, are the glasses that come with it nice? Comfortable viewing in 3D?

Stuff like that :)
Dgephri
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Dgephri »

Glasses: as comfortable as any Maui Jim's or Nike glasses that I've owned. One set had a lens that was out of the track it belonged in, so the frames were funny shaped. As soon as I got it back in the groove, they were straight. Rubber nose pads, soft ear pads, all good quality. For comparison I currently wear Maui Jim, and have previously owned Oakley Wires, and Nike Airelon.

Ghosting: none noticed yet, but I haven't been able to log many continuous hours, only 10-30 minutes sessions of trying out adjustments and loading different games. I get flicker in World in Conflict, but BioShock is smooth and no noticable issues at 1440X with MAX settings on my 8800Ultra (1680X in 3D at MAX visual in DX9c was a low FPS, into 20s).

I played Bioshock in 3D for about an hour, and didn't feel like I had any eye fatigue or cross-eyed result. I often forget to take the glasses off and feel like my Sunglasses are just not "right" before I realize it's the 3D glasses polarizing each eye.

I played some UT2k4 without any affects, I still lost InstaGib, but I felt as comfortable as normal except for my mouse settings on my new machine. :)

I will be learning some of the more advanced 3D stuff such as the 3D movies, and 3D pictures, but didn't have the time to force feed myself all that before the LAN.

I think the build quality is great, while still being light and easy to position.
Jahun

Post by Jahun »

Great!
Thanks for the good info and description. Truly sounds nice then..:)

I'll be getting myself some of those glasses first. My dual projector setup would kill me if I switch sides already :) So would my wallet and girlfriend btw.

Ow.. Nvidia.. plz update teh driver.. please.. *sigh*

Return to “General Stereoscopic 3D Discussion”